Sign in to follow this  

YZ250F vs. TTR 230

I sold my TTR-125LE to move up to a bigger bike and with peoples help I chose the YZ250F over the WR250F. My new problem is my dad wants me to buy a TTR 230 instead of the YZ250F.

What I'm intitially asking for is what are the pro's and con's of a TTR 230 compared to the YZ250F.

The riding I do is more trail, but I'm aggressive so I chose the YZ over the WR. I'm 6'0" and 150 lbs, 14 y/o. I want a bike that has power whenever I need it, and I need to show my dad why I should (hopefully, help me out here) get the YZF over the TTR.

Thanks alot :thumbsup:

That should be an easy argument to make.

1. Your a growing boy and the YZ will last longer with more aftermarket accesseries, your bike can grow with you

2. Better braking (rear disk vs rear drum on the TTR) which means easier maintenance and better safety

3. Power - the 250 will have far more power (which supports #1) but is tame-able and useable.

4. Availability of parts - while this might not be the case with the factory stuff, it will be much easier to find skid plates, and all the other trail accessories for the YZ than the TTR

Your going to grow out of the 230 before you know it.Anyway you fit a 250f fine.I was like 5ft 8 and 14 when I got my first 250f.You will fit it fine and will have tons more fun on it.ALso it will help you learn skills to work on your bike.

just tell him if you move up to the 230, that it wont even be like you are moving up..tell him that youll outgrow it in every aspect super fast and that you need something that can last you the rest of your teenage years..not something that youll be bored with in 2 weeks

your mad if your gona get a 230 over a yz250. the difference is night and day. huge power diff, better handling, suspenion.. still want the 230?

your mad if your gona get a 230 over a yz250. the difference is night and day. huge power diff, better handling, suspenion.. still want the 230?

I don't want to get a 230, I was asking people why a YZ250F is better than a TTR 230. Lol, either way thanks for saying pretty much everything is better on the 250.

Thanks everybody too for your help, now he'll know the things I say are more fact than opinion :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, I'll post if I get the bike I'm checking out tomarrow morning!!

I don't want to get a 230, I was asking people why a YZ250F is better than a TTR 230. Lol, either way thanks for saying pretty much everything is better on the 250.

Thanks everybody too for your help, now he'll know the things I say are more fact than opinion :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, I'll post if I get the bike I'm checking out tomarrow morning!!

sweet what yr you looking at? I got a 05 - lovee it!

My dad wasn't straight on his facts and he no longer is looking at the TTR 230. Along with that though we're not looking at the YZ250F anymore (2002 to answer your question).

Anyways he's lookin at a 2004 YZ450F :thumbsup: So I guess we'll just see what happens. Lol, I'm so excited I've ben tickin the last week (Tourette Syndrome)

thats like askin, should i got a scooter, or a crouch rocket, youll look cooler on a yz250f, and it will be much faster, and funner.

thats like askin, should i got a scooter, or a crouch rocket, youll look cooler on a yz250f, and it will be much faster, and funner.

Maybe if there were more, non-raced, YZ250F's around me I would get one. And the 450 isn't final, we just aren't getting that one YZ250F. I'm not done growing so I will be happy on a YZ250F and eventually a Yz450F (Up north, yeah others will be riding it and getting use out of it).

Either way I'll be happy I'm sure, so thanks.

im 5'6 and im on a 250f no problem. i was 5'4 when i first got it. and it is set up so the bike dont sag unless im on it. height is not a problem.

If all you do is trail riding why don't you get the WR. It can be brought to YZF specs pretty easy. I imagine you'd appreciate the electric start. I like my YZF, but I do some motocross too.

I am 5'11" 220 lbs (kinda fat :thumbsup: I rode a ttr 250 then went and bought a wr 250, the ttr was about the same a the stock wr, but free mods make the wr close to the yzf. The wr will rip the shorts off of the ttr 250, not sure about a 230 but I am sure the results would be the same.

ttr-230's are sooooooooo slow. they remind me of a raptor 350, its a trail bike for the elderly i'd say. i raced my buddy's with my yfz and my big wheel YZ 80 beat him with the 80 easy - not stock, and just killed him with the yfz. they are a six speed and when you hold them open for a long time they are faster then the yfz and 80 top end it ttr 230 goes about 80, i could keep up if i wanted to blow my yfz....again

My friend got a CRF230 and within a couple of months he was already pushing the bike to it's limits; bottoming out etc. He hates that bike now and wishes he would have got a 250. I love my YZ250F, and I highly doubt I'll ever be able to push it to it's absolute limits.

Sweet thanks guys. We decided to go and get a TTR-250 for a couple of reasons.

1. I can get a 2006 one instead of a 2002 YZF250

2. I'm really a trail rider right now, so this is what it's meant for.

3. I've talked to mechanics and they said for the YZ250F to be taken PROPER care of you need to rebuild the engine every 10 hours, Yamaha wants their cams out etc. Plus they need premium fuel, no thanks.

Later in my life there is no doubt I'll be getting YZF's so don't hate me! Haha, I'm only 14 anyways.

Thanks everyone for helping me get out of the 230 situation though, makes me happy.

Sweet thanks guys. We decided to go and get a TTR-250 for a couple of reasons.

1. I can get a 2006 one instead of a 2002 YZF250

2. I'm really a trail rider right now, so this is what it's meant for.

3. I've talked to mechanics and they said for the YZ250F to be taken PROPER care of you need to rebuild the engine every 10 hours, Yamaha wants their cams out etc. Plus they need premium fuel, no thanks.

Later in my life there is no doubt I'll be getting YZF's so don't hate me! Haha, I'm only 14 anyways.

Thanks everyone for helping me get out of the 230 situation though, makes me happy.

You guys are making a mistake. show this to your dad as I'm a dad myself and I would choose the yzf over the ttr.

When i 1st got into riding at 18, I bought the only thing I could afford which was a used Yam trail bike much like your buying. By nature, I'm an agressive rider. I didn't know a thing about setup like suspension, motor, brakes etc. (does this sound like you in any way?) I rode that thing hard and within 3 months i was exceeding the bikes capabilites. I didn't know I had left the bike behind, but my experienced friends did. I kept riding it and got 2 concussions, a separted shoulder, countless get-offs with minor injuries. I too was trail riding thinking this was safe. I now know better and advise against this course.

If you think you're fast, get a fast bike as it's suspension and brakes will help keep you out of the ER.