Sign in to follow this  

NMA - Off Roader Out > Trail Rider In, Looks Like a Win-Win

The NMA Off Roader has had it's good times and it's bad times. Putting together a good magazine is difficult and the NMA has not been successful in delivering the goods this year.

So we are close to finalizing some changes. We would like your input before we finalize these changes.

We have negotiated a deal with Trail Rider Magazine(Trail Rider Magazine Link) to provide subscriptions to NMA members instead of publising our own NMA Off Roader magazines.

Details:

• There will be one more issue of the Off Roader after which NMA members will start to receive Trail Rider Magazine for the duration of their membership.
  • Trail Rider will feature at least two articles in each issue that will be submitted by NMA authors - we will get local content in the national magazine.
  • The NMA membership fees will probably be increased by $5 to help offset the TR subscription costs.
  • Some sort of alternate means will be used to supplement the TR reports with local news and alerts. This may be in the form of periodic mailings, email notices or increased news reporting on the NMA website

This deal will only be successful if we get the event reports and features we are promising to TR. Your commitment will be needed for this critical part.

What do you folks think?

trail rider is a cool mag...

however, I sort of have mixed feelings about this...

I like the content in the offroader and representation of the clubs that put on the local events and sponsors that help out. I always look forward to reading the race coverage. What will the articles submitted to TR contain in them? That is, I don't see them providing the same space for covering local events as the offroader does.

At the same time I know the pains and work that go into creating a magazine like the offroader and can understand the route being suggested here if there is not sufficient support/help with authoring/editing/etc the offroader.

I understand that putting out a good magazine is difficult especially with a volunteer crew. But going to an entity that doesn't completely reflect the NW is hard to comprehend. Like Trav said, NMA reflects local races and it is always nice reading about local riders that you know and raced against. It is fun to read about friends and how they did.

If trail rider does the same or devouts a complete section to NW riders, then great. Also, what about sponsors and advertisers that support the NMA? If that goes away, we could be loosing potential dollars geared to NW races and NMA funds.

mike

Bottom line really is that the NMA owes a publication to our members and right now the volunteers are not in place to continue the O-R in the form Tory and Mike were able to produce. The TR deal is a chance to get local content in a high quality national publication and our members will get their magazine reliably each and every month.

If in the future the O-R gets a capable and motivated staff there is no reason for it not to return. The TR deal would be evaluated by both parties (TR and NMA) after one year.

The content of the NW articles in TR would depend on what you submit. I don't know how heavy handed Clipper would be with editing our content, but I expect we should see our submissions printed with little alterations. Clipper has told me that he is fine with our typical emphasis on youth riders.

Trav, I hope you will be a regular contributor, BTW.

One positive is Trail rider is a monthly magazine and the off-Roader is quarterly. So over the period of a year, roughly the same amount of NMA articles should be printed.

I also am concerned about advertising. Does the NMA get some free ad space? It could be good for local company's who have mail order or have Internet sales, or company's that specialize in a specialty product or service to pay for ad space. But for local shops who support the NMA and races they should get some free press.

I think this is a way to get Northwest riders more recognition and maybe get some racers from other areas of the country to come and compete here in the Northwest and help build on our off road and Enduro race series.

I believe this is an opportunity the NMA needs to pursue on the pipe and not let off. It could be a bumpy trail at first but I believe it will turn into a win for everyone! :thumbsup:

Has anyone contacted the OMRA to see if anything could be worked out with them? They also put out a quarterley newsletter with event coverage, legislative info, etc.

Seems like there would be a lot of cross-over on advertisers, readership, and one more step towards the joint PNW series people have been talking about.

Basicly, the two main target entities are less than 200 miles apart(Portland-Seattle) vs. 2,000 miles apart.

The OMRA newsletter already covers SW Washington events/areas.

just a thought. Scott

Scoot could be on to something here. There were some threads regarding a PNW racing series where the NMA and OMRA series would merge. Seemed that idea received a lot of praise, so why not a newsletter, too?

There's another venue that hasn't been discussed. Motorsports News. Motorsports News is the FREE "monthly/quarterly" newspaper published by some folks in Kent, WA. They gladly accept quality submissions of practically anything having to do with dirt bikes, motocross, ATVs, PWC, off-road, dirt track, super motard, etc. The distribution of that newspaper covers all of Washington and I'm sure it is in Oregon, too.

So if folks are looking for articles and stories about local racers and events, they can be read in Motorsports News. I would send my articles (I know Tory did it, too) to Motorsports News and they usually got published a few weeks before they came out in the Off Roader. They were the same article.

I think MACE has come up with a good idea that I support. The reality is that the current volunteer pool can not crank out an Off Roader on a quarterly schedule. There just aren't enough (any) folks willing to write articles and take pictures. Then submit those items in a format/way that doesn't create a mountain of work for the editor. I did it for a solid year, it was fun, but it taxed me greatly. I hope to someday return to writing articles and reporting on our fantastic riders, clubs and volunteers here in the NW. Trail Rider mag is a great publication. There's lots more info in there than just event coverage. It is a good product that reflects similar messages of the NMA.

I think its a good thing to get the mag monthly rather than every three months...that would be great....and yes I know how hard it is to put out the off roader,I'm just saying I just can't wait to hear all the news inside of the mag.. :thumbsup: