Sign in to follow this  

Stupid jetting question

I have a 04' CRF150. Stock in the performance section. I know these bikes come lean from the factory and I don't really want to get inside the carb. Will it make a difference if I just up the clip on the needle 1? Thanks.

Taking the bottom half of the carb off and screwing in 2 jets is actually MUCH easier than taking the linkage and springs out to get at the needle

Actually it's because the only place I can get jets is a guy I know from across the street. He tell's me I don't need to order new jets because the bike if fine the way it is. No matter what I tell him he thinks I'm wrong because I'm only 14 and by not ordering them I won't screw up my bike. And the 150/230 carbs are different. There is no needle linkage on the 150 carb.

send thumper a money order to cover the cost and shipping and get the jets yourself. I'm not sure what doing just the needle would do.

I thought if I up'ed the clip 1 notch it would richen the mixture a lil' bit. :thumbsup:

I guess I'll have to do it the ol' fashion way with trial and error.

Hey Bre,

Jet it, then get the pipe! It will make a world of difference. When I did it I also took the boot out of the air box, and put the 428 chain, and sprocket kit from Renthal. What a difference. I didn't even want to ride my 250 that was tricked out by the way. Also I might add my 150 was purely a project bike. Now it has the cr85 expert forks, and rear shock with the resivoir. I am a short guy 5'8" so to trick out the 150 made perfect sense to me. Funny thing is you can get caught up with the project, and there is so much you can do with the kits they offer for your bike. Once you get started, the old fashioned way with the personal satisfaction you will be glad that you did!

todd...have fun!

Hey Bre,

This might help!

For Stock Engines with OEM carb:

• Full Power Needle Kit Part # 16012-KPT-921

• 42 Pilot Jet Part # 99103-KPT-0420

• 108 Main Jet # 99113-GHB-1080 (high elevation)

• 110 Main Jet # 99113-GHB-1100 (low elevation) :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply's and info man :thumbsup: . I already had the 110 main and 42 pilot figured out, but the guy at my Honda dealer won't order them for me because he is saying he's saving me from ruining my bike. I just finished putting the clip in the 4th position. It boggs, but I did find a dealer that sells boat parts and they carry Jets for Keihen carbs for some reason so I'll be picking up a 110 man and 42 pilot soon. I don't really have any money to put into this bike because I also own a car. 73' Super Beetle and that needed alot of parts. So how hard is it to re-jet? Just unscrew the float bowl, un-screw 2 old jets and screw in the new ones and re-attach the bowl?

Hey Bre,

It's super easy to change your jets. If your messing with the needle, and clip you can replace your jets. Just take the carb completly out. Spray carb cleaner in there while you have it apart too. You can buy it anywhere car, or bike dealer. Also there was a while back in the threads section of this site, a how to on replacing the jets, pulling out the boot, and proper over all maintanace. If it wasn't for this thumper site I would have never have tackled the carb. Now I better understand how the bike works. If you mess with the clip I would probably try one up from the center. That should help make it a little richer, and the bike should start alot easier. You can get trick pipes for under $200.ºº I got the DMC Alien pipe for $159.ºº Jetting, pipe, and removing the snorkal will make an emence difference. Try it you will like it.

todd :thumbsup:

Thanks man. I did move the clip on the needle up 1 position from the centre. The 4th position is what is recommened when re-jetting. I actually had trouble with the needle and clip. I just pulled the spring up completely and tilted the slide upside down until the holding clip, and the needle with the clip fell out. is that how I'm supposed to do it? :thumbsup: I'm also planing on pulling the air box snorkel, and getting a uni filter.

I did not read every post here, but if you want a 110 jet send me a self addressed stamped envelope and I will give you a 110 that came with our pipes.