Sign in to follow this  

Used KLX 250 at Dealer - how much should I pay?

I am in the market for a small dual sport bike, and other than the green, the KLX 250 seems like the one to go with. I checked my local dealer yesterday, but they don't have any in stock. Even if they did, the new one's list for around $4700 I believe and that is a little bit more than I wanted to spend. Another dealer, who doesn't sell Kawasaki's has a used KLX with 750 miles on it. He is asking $3950 and says that with tax, title, fees, it will come to around $4700 out the door. Has anyone purchased a used KLX recently, and how much did you pay?

My other choices in bikes are the DR200SE and XT225. The Suzuki is quite a bit less at only $3995 (MSRP) new, but I think it is a lot less of a bike than the KLX.

Thanks.

I think $3950 is high. I'd tell him I would want to be out the door for $3900. I don't care if it only has 750 miles - it's a used bike.

I would have to agree on the price. It is a used bike and do you know the former owner? Did they abuse the bike for 750 miles and get rid of it or did they maintain it? Is the frame tweaked or show signs of abuse, like bad scuff marks on the plastic and bent/replaced handlebars? I have 600+ miles on mine and it has been dropped offroad twice. It's scuffed but unbroken and it does exactly what I want it to, get me to the trail so I can enjoy the ride. I dont race, I just want to enjoy the bike and the scenery.

My .02 cents :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info. The dealer called and said if I give him $4000 cash, I can have the bike (out the door price). I remember looking at the bike about a month ago...and I remember it was very clean and seemed almost brand new. However, at that point, I had no idea what a KLX 250 was. Since that time, I am now in the market for a smaller dual sport and have done a little more research on the KLX. It would seem that the KLX definately has advantages over the DR200 and XT225 (the other bikes I am considering).

The bigger engine, seemingly better suspension, more ground clearance and rear disc brake seem to put the KLX above the rest (just to name a few better things). The cost for a NEW unit though is much more $$$ than the Suzuki or Yamaha.

Since the dealer is willing to do $4K out the door, and since I originally told the sales guy that my budget needs be $4K out the door, I am thinking that I should have done more research before telling the guy I needed to be at 4K. Maybe this is a good deal, but when a dealer meets your first offer (even though it wasn't really an "offer") I get a little worried that I showed all my cards before knowing what a good price should be.

I bought my KLX 250S dual sport in November and just about a month ago I brought home the 2006 XT 225 for the wife. Both bikes are awesome, but my bike out of the box has way more power than the XT and now with a full muzzy and jetting my bike has twice the power. Post over here and see what the guys say.

http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forumid_69/tt.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-2006-Kawasaki-KLX250-ON-OFF-Road-Enduro-Dual-Sport_W0QQitemZ190019705760QQihZ009QQcategoryZ50016QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Kelly Blue Book on it is $3710 assuming its an 06 model. So $4000 out the door doesn't sound too bad. I bought my 03 klx300 used for $2900 at a dealership and out the door was around $3200.

i only paid $5000 out the door for a NEW KLX250S... when it just arrived... i wouldn't pay more than $4000 for used

There were several 06 KLX 250s on E-Bay a month or so ago. One of them was being sold by it's second owner. The fact that this bike had turned off two guys in 700 miles was a red flag for me. There is a long and detailed KLX 250 thread on advrider.com

My impression is that the bike is underpowered for a grown man with past motorcycle experience.

My impression is that the bike is underpowered for a grown man with past motorcycle experience.
While the question was about the price, rather than the suitability/desirability of the KLX250S, what's your direct personal experience with the machine, Mork? How, in your experience, did the KLX250's lack of power manifest itself?

Thanks in advance for sharing the basis of your conclusion.

OK I am gonna post this again, you have to get the bike, or at least read some of the stuff over on the Kawi forums. Trust me you will not be disapointed with this bike.

bought my KLX 250S dual sport in November and just about a month ago I brought home the 2006 XT 225 for the wife. Both bikes are awesome, but my bike out of the box has way more power than the XT and now with a full muzzy and jetting my bike has twice the power. Post over here and see what the guys say.

http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forumid_69/tt.htm

Here is my bike, 3000 miles on it and loving it.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c195/deej1914/Picture_0122.jpg

While the question was about the price, rather than the suitability/desirability of the KLX250S, what's your direct personal experience with the machine, Mork? How, in your experience, did the KLX250's lack of power manifest itself?

Thanks in advance for sharing the basis of your conclusion.

I think it's obvious from Mork's post that he didn't have any direct personal experience with the bike, or he would have stated that rather than relaying his decision not to buy based on what he had heard from others.

It all boils down to what you want and what you expect in a DS bike. I've ridden every configuration of KLX from 250 up thru 365 so I've got boo-koo personal experience - but I suspect you wouldn't like my conclusion any more than you liked Mork's unless I say that it is a superior be-all, end-all DS machine.

I think the KLX is a fantastic bike for what it's designed for. If you like what it's designed for you're going to love it. If you have higher expectations, you will be selling it quickly. What one must decide before buying is exactly what one wants the bike to do. Answer that question correctly and you'll be 90% there.

:thumbsup::ride:

As for the OP's question.....grind down that dealer!

I've ridden every configuration of KLX from 250 up thru 365 so I've got boo-koo personal experience - but I suspect you wouldn't like my conclusion any more than you liked Mork's unless I say that it is a superior be-all, end-all DS machine.
Not at all, Bill_P!

The topic originator asked about the appropriate price of a used KLX250S; Mork replied, in his qualified application, he considered the bike "underpowered."

I merely asked the basis of Mork's judgment, and whether this conclusion was based upon his personal riding experience or actual observation of the performance of KLX250S, or, as you suggest, from "hearsay," the impressions of others.

Even with your extensive "things 'IK'" riding experience, Bill_P, if you said the KLX250S is underpowered, I'd want to know what led you to that opinion. The opinion of an experienced rider, doubtless; but without knowledge of the reasons for the judgment, still merely an opinion.

Examples of specific, direct evidence supporting the conclusion: "The KLX250S I rode couldn't make it up hills I previously climbed easily with a (fill in this blank)." Or, "My neighbor, who bought a thousand-dollar Chinese DS, waxed me in a drag race." Or, "At our club's recent trail ride, the KLX250S riders ate the dust of the (again, fill in this blank)."

I'm no partisan of the KLX250S (or anything else with a "K" in its model designation); and, lest I be accused of "perfection by possession," I own no KLX250S. If I knew the basis of Mork's judgment, and its calibration (that is, compared to what), I might agree with his determination, as he qualified it, that the KLX250S may seem underpowered, at any price!

OK, fair enough. I'm not saying the 250S is a bad DS bike - on the contrary, I think it's a fine bike and I'm glad Kawi stepped up to the DS plate and released it.....again. (LOL, more than a decade later.) My point is that to be happy on it, you must fit a certain demographic. I generally find that the serious dirt crowd seem to be dissapointed in it - I believe primarily due to their comparison (either knowingly or not) to CRF250/YZ250's, etc.. There's always a bunch of questions here asking about how it fares powerwise to CRFX's and WRF's. And the answer always has to be - not good. It wasn't designed for the purpose those bikes were.

Personally, I would not run one as anything other than as a "run down to the store and get some milk" bike. It's all related to gearing and power. For me, even the 300's stock gearing is too high for serious dirt work. A large percentage of guys that ride tight stuff end up with a 13T CS sproket, which puts the powerband/gearing in a much better spot to keep the front end light over whoops, and makes it so you do not have to bonzai steep technical hillclimbs. Second, third, fourth and even fifth seem to end up in a much more useable space for agressive dirt riding. So, now that I've put a 13T on the bike, I'm feeling pretty good about it in the dirt. So.....

On to the street. Even a stock geared 300 is extremely buzzy at higher speeds - 50mph +. It's doable, but I would never hold my stock geared KLX (300 w/ 14-50) at highway speeds for any length of time. In my definition of a dual sport bike, you must be able to hold a 55+ mph speed for at least a half hour. I'm not comfortable doing that on a stock 300KLX and certainly not on a lower geared (13T) KLX. The 250S may be suitable for some at highway speeds. I have not ridden the new S model, so I cannot give you a seat of the pants experiential view of it. I know that it is geared even higher than the 300 so it might be fine on the highway - but by that very virtue, it will not be acceptable to both myself and many others who place a higher value on being able to negotiate nasty technical terrain.

What you end up with is a catch 22. For me - not enough power to pull higher gearing and not enough top end with lower gearing. If the gearbox had been a little wider and they had made it a 300 instead of 250.....maybe.

So there you have it. Due to the smaller nature of the engine, (250cc) you have to either go way high on gearing so that you're not revving to the moon (and accelerating the demise of an already dismal valve train), OR, you favor the dirt and gear low, giving you a decent dirt powerband - but at the expense of top speed. There is no free lunch. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Not on the 250S. Again, and I want to stress this most importantly - that is only MY opinion and the opinion of others that I ride with that need to be able to pull 80+ on the highway and have low enough gearing / power for technical riding. There are many who absolutely love their 250S's and I'm exceedingly happy that it works for their needs. It just wouldn't work for mine, and I have a hard time swallowing that it's the worlds best DS bike and is perfect for everything.

I know I piss a lot of people off when I say this, but again, it's all in your preception of what you need the bike to do. If I wanted to buy a DS bike today, the 250S would not not fit the bill for me. It doesn't mean I think it's a bad bike. I still have and ride my KLX, but unlike a few others around here, I have a realistic view of what it's strong and weak points are.

I have never ridden a KLX 250. My impression of it being underpowered for a grown man with past motorcycle experience was based on the hours of reading that I have done on the internet, and a phone conversation with a guy who was selling a KLX 250. I am sorry for starting a fight between Drag Racer and Bill P. They are both correct in their assessments of me. I was just trying to help the guy who started the thread by giving him all the info I had. RE the KLX 250 that was being sold by the second owner- I spoke with the second owner on the phone, and he related the following. The first owner was the owner of the local bike shop. He had put a lot of work into the bike, pumper carb, better valves in the shocks, better tires, bigger gas tank, etc, but still did not like it. Owner number two liked the idea of the extras, but after riding the 250 for a while decided to stick with his KLX 400. These are things that I should have put in my initial post. In the further interest of objectivity, I will add that the author of the KLX 250 thread on advrider.com is very happy with his bike.

Just a couple more things that came to mind immediatly after the last post. The first owner of the KLX 250 in question also put a high performance exhaust on the bike.

I was very interested in this bike! I estimated the value of the extras to be $1255.

$1255 + a blue book value of $3710=$4965, but the guy was asking $3800 !!!

I called my dirt bike sensay and asked him if this tricked out KLX 250 would be powerful enough for the Colorado trip that I was planning to take with him. He told me that the KLX 250 would not be powerful enough because of the elevations that we would be traveling through, and my 200 lb weight.

I am sorry for starting a fight between Drag Racer and Bill P.

Hey Mork - it's no problem here. I don't feel like I'm in a fight with Dragracer. At least I hope I'm not. :thumbsup: I hope he doesn't feel that way either. I just interjected because there's 2 sides to every coin. The KLX is a great bike, but even so, it's not right for everyone. The internet is good for getting all sides, but you have to sift through it to find out what makes sense to you. So.....what did you end up getting? And how was Colorado? Where did you ride? Cheers, bp

The Colorado trip with www.motoventures.com was canceled, and I still don't have a bike. I rode a Yamaha WR 250, and WR 450 when I took lessons with motoventures, and by the way, it was the most fun that I have ever had on a motorcycle !!! If the WR 450 was street legal I would buy one tomorrow. But I can't justify a dirt only bike. The DS rides in Wisconsin all require a st legal bike, and I think that it would be a good idea to have a back up for my old van. It's in the shop today as a matter of coincidental fact.

I like the Huskys, but the closest dealer is a 2 hour drive away. I have also been anxiously awaiting the st legal 2007 KTM 525 EXC. But if internet rumors of $8300 turn out to be true I'm not sure I'll get one. I might just ride a motoventures bike on one of their future tours, and buy a used DR 650 for putting around Wisconsin.

Mork, I appreciate your candor in sharing the basis for your opinion (research on the Internet and the assessment of someone you consider knowledgeable whom you trust). Here's hoping you find the machine appropriate for you, a personal and individual determination only you can make.

No argument, challenge, or fight intended; I asked how you came to your conclusion because:

jbobst asks, "How much should I pay [for a used KLX250S]?"

He does NOT ask, "Is the KLX250S 'the world's best DS bike and perfect for everything?'", a premise Bill_P doubts.

Further, jbobst provides context, declaring:

My other choices in bikes are the DR200SE and XT225.
Thus, I wondered about the basis for the "underpowered" comment, within jbobst's framework.

Your authority's generalization, Mork, "My impression is that the bike is underpowered for a grown man with past motorcycle experience," may be valid for a 200-pound rider on the high-altitude Colorado ride envisioned, but could be excessively broad, I think, for jbobst in Arizona, expecially when comparing the KLX250S to the DRZ200SE and to the XT225 .

jbobst, here's hoping you find the KLX250S at your price, if that's what you want!