Sign in to follow this  

Radiator bleeding

The search option has been unavailable for a bit so here's a question.

How quickly should the radiators get hot? I've just rebuilt the engine and the rads get hot within about 2 or 3 minutes, just about bearable to touch.

Is there a way to bleed any possible trapped air out?

Also, I've put 1,800ml of oil in but still can't seem to get a good level on the dipstick. I've measured it after leaving for 3 min after a 5 min run.

It's on the E model.

There is a bleed screw on the top of the left radiator, just slack it off till you get water.

The oil check is, run (at tickover) for 3 minutes, turn it off and wait 3 minutes.

Check the oil by just resting the dip stick in the frame, not screwed in.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::applause:

Thanks Neil, I've put 1.8 litres in now and still nothing, the manual says 1.7 litres during oil change????

Should the bike be level or on its stand?

Thanks Neil, I've put 1.8 litres in now and still nothing, the manual says 1.7 litres during oil change????

Should the bike be level or on its stand?

I use a full 2 litres when changing oil and filter.

Hold the bike upright and on level ground to check.

Neil.

:thumbsup::ride::applause:

If you didn't bleed air from the system from the waterneck bleeder, when you filled the bike with coolant, you could have caused air to be trapped in the lower part of the system.

If in doubt, drain the coolant, and refill again, but bleed the air from the waterneck bleeder first, and then the rad bleeder, this time around.

Open the bleeder plug bolt on the waterneck and the rad bleeder, before you start to refill, and close the waterneck bleeder as soon as coolant flows from it, and then do the same as the coolant starts to flow from the rad bleeder.

:thumbsup:

Thanks guys, should've known being a Zuki that there would be some strange quirk - why make it easy when we can make it Suzuki

How quickly should the radiators get hot?

I did some testing today with my new Vapor Trailtech instrument panel: during my ride the temp gauge was 55...65 degrees Celsius. When I got back home I let it idle 4 minutes. During that time, temperature rise from 55C to 102C. My temp sensor is installed to bleeder at left radiator and ambient temperature was 23C.

I did some testing today with my new Vapor Trailtech instrument panel: during my ride the temp gauge was 55...65 degrees Celsius. When I got back home I let it idle 4 minutes. During that time, temperature rise from 55C to 102C. My temp sensor is installed to bleeder at left radiator and ambient temperature was 23C.

OK thanks, I thought it may have been because it was standing still.

The answer is to ride it I know! I'll re-fill, bleeding as I go this time and see if it's any different.

BTW did you need to make any mods to fit the Trailtech to the bleeder?

bronco posted a surefire technique to bleed the cooling system involving the screw and a tip from one side to the other i believe. maybe he or eddie will pipe up and enrich our lives with thier trick to bleeding.

BTW did you need to make any mods to fit the Trailtech to the bleeder?

No. I just took off the bleeder screw and fitted the sensor into the thread.

If you didn't bleed air from the system from the waterneck bleeder, when you filled the bike with coolant, you could have caused air to be trapped in the lower part of the system.

If in doubt, drain the coolant, and refill again, but bleed the air from the waterneck bleeder first, and then the rad bleeder, this time around.

Open the bleeder plug bolt on the waterneck and the rad bleeder, before you start to refill, and close the waterneck bleeder as soon as coolant flows from it, and then do the same as the coolant starts to flow from the rad bleeder.

:applause:

I have to ask the dumb question...where is the "waterneck?"

I have to ask the dumb question...where is the "waterneck?"

On the front of the engine. Directly behind the front frame rail.

Cool, that beats cutting into the hose :applause:

You will need the 6mm sensor for the KTM. I e-mailed TrailTech and they sent me one.

Coolant_Temp_Sensor.jpg

Is the bleeder plug bolt the hex bolt underneath the two cables on the right side of the frame and just to the left of the right radiator?

:thumbsup: