Sign in to follow this  

rekluse e-axle

i saw this axle while surfing the www that claims to allow adjustment of the front wheel offset from anywhere between 2mm forward and 3 mm back from the stock position. would this do the same thing as getting the pro circuit triple clamp if you wanted to change the front end trail on the bike say from stock to 22mm? if so it looks like a cheaper option to me. has anybody tried this axle?

http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/z-start/e-axle.htm

i make a simliar thing over here in the uk but only go 2mm either way but it makes loads of diffrence tight tracks -2mm long fast or deep sand +2mm you can change it in a min and cheeper than clamps

I bought one and have ridden with it several times. All the magazines raved about how well this bike steers (especially compared to the older models). For me that has not been the case. I have never been able to charge corners with this bike and once in a corner the front end feels like it gets to decide where it wants to go. At some tracks it is not so bad but at others it is really annoying.

Anyway, I tried the e-axle in +2mm and -3mm positions. The documentation says that the plus position requires less effort (less trail) to turn and the minus position more effort (more trail). In the plus position it accentuates the steering characteristics that I don't like. In the minus position you can feel the self centering effect of the added trail that may require a little more effort to initiate a turn but once you do it turns in more willingly and holds a line much better.

It is a good fix for this bike but I still think they need to pull the rake in a half degree. It seems the latest trend is to rake out the 250f's like Honda did and pull the rake in on the 450f's.

how well is it built how easy is it to adjust and will it hold up in the mud?

First of all it doesn't have the correct spacers for an '06. I had to add three washers to get it to fit. It is very easy to adjust. And, I am not sure if it would work in mud. Actually, I don't even know if it is meant to stay on a bike long term. You might want to call Rekluse and ask them about it before buying it...