Sign in to follow this  

How to properly jet the CRF?

From what I've read here on TT reading the color of a spark plug is not the way to determine proper jetting. I've read Burned's sticky in the Jetting Forum about setting the pilot circuit but what about the main jet and needle. Is proper jetting as simple as making high speed runs for setting the main jet and then raising or lowering the needle for mid-range? I would appreciate any of the tuners out there to give a definative answer. Thanks for the help.

Wow 68 views and no replies. This is my first post without a reply. :thumbsup: So is this a big secret or doesn't anyone know? :ride:

The real question is how will your install/reinstall that damn carb so much time in a day without killing yourself. What a pain. :thumbsup:

Working on my CRF has always been a labor of love. I don't mind spending a day getting the thing set-up properly because of all the fun I have riding it when it is set-up right.

Working on my CRF has always been a labor of love. I don't mind spending a day getting the thing set-up properly because of all the fun I have riding it when it is set-up right.

well changing the needle and or clip ,main and pilot jet can be done in seconds and then return to another run, ( as most of us know ---no way do you remove the carb ever !.)

i really like to do top end runs with another bike as a baseline and i just keep working leaner with the main until i get it to nose over on the big end wfo.---then i will go back one or two jets and run runs until i am satisfied that i have the correct main for the weather and corrected altitude and humidity on that day ,

then i will go on the track and ride and get a feel for the needle and try a move by 1/2 a clip or a full clip ( i use little washers to get a 1/2 clip setting )

then see how it runs down low and see where my fuel screw is and make changes to the pilot and or ap linkage to get it all correct and there you go ---

it old school but very affective and you can really make a huge difference on power when you are jetted correctly !! :thumbsup:

I agree, but I would rather love wrenching for 2 hours then having fun riding it for the rest of the day. :thumbsup:

kelstr,

Thanks once again for all the great information. I sent Ron Hamp an 06 head to work his magic on. As soon as I get it back I'm going to rebuild the engine with a JE 13.5:1 piston and Ron's top end. I'm going to start running U4 instead of pump gas also. With all the money I'm investing in my little red bike the least I could do is tune the thing to make sure I get the most bang for my buck. Thanks again.

kelstr,

Thanks once again for all the great information. I sent Ron Hamp an 06 head to work his magic on. As soon as I get it back I'm going to rebuild the engine with a JE 13.5:1 piston and Ron's top end. I'm going to start running U4 instead of pump gas also. With all the money I'm investing in my little red bike the least I could do is tune the thing to make sure I get the most bang for my buck. Thanks again.

you will love that thing with Rons Flow work and all.

they just really rip hard !! :thumbsup: