Sign in to follow this  

HELP! RHC cams and timing problem

Here are the specs - DRZ440SM with the MT 440 bore, 13.5:1 piston from RHC and Ron's cams (Web Cams). When installing the cams I have the bike at TDC and have moved all slack from the exhaust side and the exhaust cam has the #2 mark pointing directly up. When I count over 15 pins the intake cam has the #3 mark at 11:30 (directionally) or so. If I count over 14 pins everything lines up as it should. So do I go with 15 links and have there be slack between the cams or do I go 14 links and go against the Web Cam instructions? I called Web and they think to go with 14 links, but seemed very unsure. I held the stock cams up to the current ones at 14 links and the lobes lined up correctly. Any help would be much appreciated as my bike has been on the lift for two months now :thumbsup:

I'd ask ron or eddie to be sure but I know that with the hot cams you are NOT supposed to count pins, instead they are to be installed by the marks.

Yeah, I'm hoping for a call back from Ron or a post by Eddie before I continue at this point.

One year, 3,000 miles. I wouldn't assume it would stretch in that amount of time or miles.

Here are the pictures. To my understanding, the TDC mark is the parting line, not the T, right? There is no slack on the exhaust side and all the slack is on the intake side.

Here is the 14 tooth picture - notice how the 2 and 3 are pointing up.

87529525-M.jpg

This is the 15 tooth picture - the intake cam looks off now.

87529519-M.jpg

you have your pin count wrong.

you count the first pin as the arrow points to it.

the first pic is correct and is 15 pins.the second pic is 16 pins and in correct.

is the #1 arrow level with the front head surface?

If you want to be 100% certain, get the spec for lobe center from the cam makers and use a degree wheel and indicators to set the cam(s) lobe center relative to crankshaft TDC. It is not as difficult as it sounds and any good university student should be able to comprehend the logic and make the checks.

you have your pin count wrong.

is the #1 arrow level with the front head surface?

:thumbsup::ride::applause::applause:

I even had a buddy double check the sheet with the Web cams and my work and he missed that as well. I guess it when you look at some thing for too long you miss the easy stuff. All the arrows are lined up fine now.

Thanks for the help and this thing should be operational by tomorrow afternoon :applause: