Sign in to follow this  

DRZ 400E Race Worthy?

Hey I've got a '02 400E which has turned out to be a great bike. But now, after 3 months with it I feel like I'm ready for a dedicated motocrosser (RMZ 450). I had a 20 year riding hiatus and now have some of my skills back and am ready to race. So, is there anyone out there doing hare scrambles on their 400? I'd love to start it up again but bikes have changed alot in 20 years. What's the opinion?

I think it depends what you want, cutting edge technology and competitiveness or a good reliable bike that'll get you around any track or trail anyone else can go on. I'm going in a 24hr race next month B class ironman. For me the Dirz is a good choice, smooth power, excellent traction and soft easy on my old bones suspension. Throw in a dampner, a H.I.D. light and some grip heaters and its a really friendly bike to ride for long periods of time. I just like to get out there ride my ride and have fun, most of the time I'm right there with everyone else :thumbsup:

The DRZ is a nice off roader, for a good rider to ride at a spirited pace. Riding it at an all out race speed,will take it's toll on you over a long race. I've done 2 24 Hour GPs on a modified DRZ s..It is doable, but the weight will get to you hour after hour. I will/would enter and race a 2, 3,6, 8 hour off road race on my DRZ. Knowing, it will not be the fastest, but will still be a blast to race.

If your looking for something fun, the DRZ works. If your looking for something to be competitive (rider for rider) at the top levels, the DRZ is not going to cut it.

Yea, the conditions around here lean mostly to mx track stuff. Where I notice it the most is in the jumps. I can corner very quickly on the DRZ mostly because I'm smoother on the throttle than most mx'ers who tend to race, stop, and race away. I just don't have that quick burst out of the turn which is where I get lost. I'm trying to talk myself into keeping the back because it is a great bike but I'm not sure it's got the weight power thing right for what I want to do.