Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400 SM Tire Survey

I have a DRZ400 SM with 11,000 mi. Primarily commuting. I have gone through 3 rear tires and 1 front. Two of the rear tires were the OEM Dunlop 208s. One of them was the Pilot Road, which I replaced early for various reasons.

The 208s I had to replace at 4,000 mi due to wear…they get very squirrely when you reach the wear indicators, and don’t even ride them in the rain after 3500 mi! I believe my next tire will be the Pilot Power 150/60/17 due to reports about good grip in dry and wet conditions. :ride:

I would like to get an idea of the best tire for the SM. Please respond with your experiences with:

- The tire and size

- Handling characteristics

- Mileage

Ride safe :thumbsup:

hey what kinda air pressure are you running for commuting and how do you like it?

I got 5,500 miles on the 208 rear but it was worn!

Trying an Avon Distanzia - read many conflicting reports on it but a few guys I know like it so I'm giving it a try

I have the contiforce SM on my bike.

The first rear was worn out in about 1200 miles, I may need to find something else if the second one wears this fast.

It does good on roads when the air temperature is between 45 and 80 degrees outside of those temps it seems slippery to me.

I commute to work on the bike so it is mostly highway type riding.

Al E

hey what kinda air pressure are you running for commuting and how do you like it?

I run the recommended 29 psi rear and 25 psi front. I weigh 165lbs. Love the bike for commuting. Makes 25 mi commute fun. :thumbsup:

You do have to make certain you have good rubber or you will be sliding. Everyone looks at me strange when I say I have to replace the rear every 4000 mi. They ask how can a 400cc chew up tires that fast...it ain't a Busa! However, you will absolutely NOT get more miles on the rear 208.

Ride safe!

I ran the 208s (not OEM) 160. lasted 6000 pretty good tire. Didn't worm up as fast as id like. Now I'm ruining pirelli DIABLO 150 in rear. I swapped out front and rear same time. Could have run the 208 front longer but didn't wont to. So fare i like the pirelli better then the 208s. As for wear i cant say yet. But i know the pirellis should last longer.

O i commute and carve canyons no real racing.

I ran the 208s (not OEM) 160. lasted 6000 pretty good tire. Didn't worm up as fast as id like. Now I'm ruining pirelli DIABLO 150 in rear. I swapped out front and rear same time. Could have run the 208 front longer but didn't wont to. So fare i like the pirelli better then the 208s. As for wayer i cant say yet. But i know the pirellis should last longer.

O i commute and carve canyons no real racing.

Is our children learning?

I got about 3000km out of the OEM set of tires (including one track day which fried them). I've got a set of Metzeler M3s on right now and I did a sweet number on them at the track but they're still good and feel FAR better than the OEM crap.

How many miles can you expect from the Pilot Powers?

I understand they have great grip in the rain and dry.

I saw 7000km out of my Pilot Powers on my CBR929. Awesome grip in the rain: wheelie and stoppie grip in the rain.

I do normal commuting and have 3500 mi. on the OEM 208's and they are 1/2 -2/3rds worn.A couple of flat spots on the rear from a few skids but handling and balance are still ok.I'd buy another set but also interested in the Mich Pilot Powers.

The powers are twice the tire, at twice the price. Do you want that extra little bit of confidence? Is it worth the price?

The powers are twice the tire, at twice the price. Do you want that extra little bit of confidence? Is it worth the price?

I have not found the Pilot Powers to be more than $10-$20 difference. depending on where you buy them I have noted the Pilots to be same price as the 208's. Yes, it is worth the extra price...to keep the rubber down and the plastic up.

Ride safe :thumbsup:

I got my powers for quite a bit cheaper than the 208sm's. So far I have 3 trackdays on them (roadrace track) and a bit of commuting miles. They look great and handle great. At this I have no problems running them for the 3 trackdays I have left this season. If I do significantly more track time next year, I may go to power race's, but at this point I'll be buying another set of pilot powers

I have used the Contiforce...and liked them fine. Currently I have a Pirelli Supercorsa Dragon SC2 compound on the rear. I got it of ebay for $35 brand new. It works really well...but seems to wear fairly fast.

Holy crap!! The 208sm must be vastly different than the 208 street bike tire. Maybe they have a corner on the market since its the stock tire and a lot of people like stock??