Sign in to follow this  

02 cr250 vs. 02 cr250

i had the opportunity to ride another 02 cr250. Me and my buddy switched bikes, (we both have 02 cr250s).

Well, first off, my bike is plenty fast, but i thought i had pretty good bottom end (yeah, i did say good) and all the way through the over-rev. Well, i hopped on the other 250, and that thing had gobs of lower end. But our bikes are pratically the same, except his has more lower and i have more top end.

What im wonderin is how i can get my bike like his, cause i loved the instant snap. heres what our bikes have, not too much differnce

Mine-

fmf fatty

turbine core 2

wiseco top end

uni air filter

49 gearing

91 pump octane mixed 40:1

His-

stock pipe

turbine core 2

wiseco top end

uni air filter

49 gearing

race gas mixed 32:1

Now, our bikes are basically the same :thumbsup: . Can the stock pipe and race gas at 32:1 make that difference of the low ends? His bike was just more criper, snappy.

What im basically askin is how can i improve my low end even more (i thought i had awesome low end, and i do), but apparently there is more that i can have.

Any ideas on what to do to give me more low end?

i had the opportunity to ride another 02 cr250. Me and my buddy switched bikes, (we both have 02 cr250s).

Well, first off, my bike is plenty fast, but i thought i had pretty good bottom end (yeah, i did say good) and all the way through the over-rev. Well, i hopped on the other 250, and that thing had gobs of lower end. But our bikes are pratically the same, except his has more lower and i have more top end.

What im wonderin is how i can get my bike like his, cause i loved the instant snap. heres what our bikes have, not too much differnce

Mine-

fmf fatty

turbine core 2

wiseco top end

uni air filter

49 gearing

91 pump octane mixed 40:1

His-

stock pipe

turbine core 2

wiseco top end

uni air filter

49 gearing

race gas mixed 32:1

Now, our bikes are basically the same :thumbsup: . Can the stock pipe and race gas at 32:1 make that difference of the low ends? His bike was just more criper, snappy.

What im basically askin is how can i improve my low end even more (i thought i had awesome low end, and i do), but apparently there is more that i can have.

Any ideas on what to do to give me more low end?

That's interesting you bring this up, because both my brother and I have a pair of Cr250s and they feel different too. We use the same gas and premix, but he has a Gnarly with a Q, while mine has an SST and a turbinecore 2. His feels smoother all the way through the powerband, and seems to rev a little better (probably the longer Q silencer). mine starts out about as well as his, but hits MUCH harder, has tons of mid, but doesn't rev out as far.

They also have Vforce 3s and 51 tooth rear sprockets.

I have heard that it is tough to beat the stock pipe. My bike came with the DEP. I put the stocker on and noticed a significant improvement in the low end.

You bring up a point that makes me wonder. It's pretty often that two different people have completely different impressions of the same bike. Is it possible that production differences could be great enough to make two "identical" bikes feel completely different? Just a thought.

Are you sure they both have stock porting and un-milled heads?

Good Point :thumbsup:

Don't forget Jetting too!! Especially if you change your pipes. :ride:

You bring up a point that makes me wonder. It's pretty often that two different people have completely different impressions of the same bike. Is it possible that production differences could be great enough to make two "identical" bikes feel completely different? Just a thought.

that's a good point too, because when I put a new top end on my 125Sx the gaskets it came woth were a little bit smaller than stock, and I could tell right away that the bike had more compression than it ever had before.

yeah. both of our bikes have stock heads and porting. And HomeFinanceUSA, ive heard that also, that the stock pipes are much better. But i bought my bike used, and it came wiht the Fatty :thumbsup:. The Fatty is good, but to me it seems like the cheap pipe to get a little everywhere. The only thing i can think of between the differences is he was running race gas 32:1, and has the stock pipe. His might have also been jetted different. All i know is that i want his low end power, lol. And ive heard of the Gnarly, and it works, but i also dont want to lose my top end.??

I can think of..

Vforce (my uncle has them and says they do make a noticable difference)

Bigger rear sprocket

Gnarly.

But like ive said before, i want to keep my top end as much as possible, and i know that you can have both worlds, cause his bike did. My bike had a little more top end then his. I dont know, i just want that loww stuff.

I've noticed this bike can really be affected by the jetting. The pilot and the air screw can really affect how the bike feels off the bottom.

And ive also never messed with the jetting, ever. But thats because my bike runs perfect, so theres no need, or is there?

And i have absolutely no clue on anything when it comes to jetting. :thumbsup:

I just got off the phone with the guys at MXA. I had asked them about your experience and they suggested the following:

Get the PC triple clamps with 2mm less offset. This will give it more bottom, mid and top. It should now dyno around 65 HP. :ride:

It will also clear up that nasty, embarrassing rash that's been putting the kibosh on your love life. :applause:

The race gas shouldn't make any difference unless the 91 is insufficient... or if his is oxygenated or has methanol. :thumbsup:

The obvious and easy test is to swap pipes and see what it does.

Failing that, I'd look at PV adjustment (and range of motion through the rev range) and jetting. The TMX is an ornery, sensitive piece of... equipment. If it's rich on the bottom it will make it feel soft and sluggish.

Then you could swap carbs and see what that does.

:applause:

The obvious and easy test is to swap pipes and see what it does.

Failing that, I'd look at PV adjustment (and range of motion through the rev range) and jetting. The TMX is an ornery, sensitive piece of... equipment. If it's rich on the bottom it will make it feel soft and sluggish.

Then you could swap carbs and see what that does.

:ride::thumbsup:

but see, my buddy didnt have a different carb. sadly, i just want to be like my buddies bike. (lol) he didnt have anything fancy, just like i dont, which is why i dont understand how they could be 2 completely different bikes. And my uncle has a 02 cr250, and his is completely different then both of ours. Like my uncle said early when i talked to him, its funny how you can buy 3 of the exact same bikes, same everything, yet they are completely different.

hmm well you may think your jetting is good but it probably could be better...especially if you dont have a clue about it. perhaps his has more low end because its jetted differntly...jetting makes a big difference in how the motor runs and feels, trust me :thumbsup:

ok. well i just talked to my buddy and asked him what exactly he has done to the bike.

his answer was "nothing".

everything is completely stock, except his top end, and the race gas. he said that he has never jetted it since hes got it.

our top ends are the same, and our spark arrestors are the same. the difference is the race gas and the stock pipe.

hmm. im puzzled, and angry. i want his low end!!

ok. well i just talked to my buddy and asked him what exactly he has done to the bike.

his answer was "nothing".

everything is completely stock, except his top end, and the race gas. he said that he has never jetted it since hes got it.

our top ends are the same, and our spark arrestors are the same. the difference is the race gas and the stock pipe.

hmm. im puzzled, and angry. i want his low end!!

FAG! lol ..

perhaps your reeds maybe worn? maybe his bike has work done to it and he doesn't even know....

My vote goes to the jetting. I've heard many, many, many GENIUS mechanics tell me that what usually happens is people say "Gee I want more low end, better get a gnarly pipe" So they bolt it on and expect INSTANT gratification. But anytime you get a new pipe you have to re-jet automatically. Maybe the guy that had it before you didn't re-jet when he threw the pipe on.