Sign in to follow this  

So I turned my fuel screw 3/4 of a turn...

I came out of the store tonight and since I still have the off idle bog I figured what would it hurt if I turned the fuel screw to try a slightly different setting.

The bike picked up the front wheel in second gear. Was this just coincidence, or can turning the fuel screw that little bit really have an effect like that on the bike? It felt like it rode better and pulled stronger but that could have been in my head.

Whattaya think?

Tim

Absolutely. Now, turn it in a 1/4 turn at a time until it's noticeably degraded. Go back to where you are now and open it 1/4 turns. Find your sweet spot.

Now you're a "tuner"!

In my experience with this carb, the fuel screw setting is critical for good performance, especially bog issues, (float ht is right up there also) there is "great" or "sucks" and no middle ground, it needs to be in the right position. I think that poorly tuned pilot circuits are the number one cause of complaints about the cv carb.

I found the needle type and the clip position to be the key to solving (or at least improving) my poor low throttle performance. That said, I will probably spend much time fiddling with the mixture screw.

Cheers

I finally have my CV carb completely dialed for my riding area at 7,000 feet. I kept dropping the DJ needle until I reached the #1 spot and still had the bog and loading up issues. Finally, I pulled the thick washer that sits atop the nylon thingie and put the thin one in. Bingo! Perfect gnarly throttle response. If you rode my bike, you would think it has an FCR on it, the low and mid response is that sharp. The only giveaway is the softer top end.

My bike as a 132 main and the stock pilot with an adjustable screw set at 2.75 turns.