Sign in to follow this  

how do you approach doubles?

i know this has been discussed before but i will ask again.

every time i'm at the track i get all scared and freaked out to hit it. one is a uphill and one is a downhill. i can say all i want at home i can do it but once i get there i can't. i can hit the table tops all day and not be scared. i see kids on 85 doing it and i want to do them even more. so the question is how do you approoach doubles on the bike and in your mind.

thanks!

Well if it's a pretty big gap (15-30)feet you want to go full throttle and try to seat bounce. Full throttle should be hard to do but seat bouncing is were you crouch low and on the face of the jump smack your ass on the seat and it will spring you up in the air about twice as much as you would in regular preload mode.

If it's a smaller gap (1-15)feet just hold it wide open and the gravity will give you the clearance you need. But how big a jump to you is all in your own perspective if you think a 10 foot gap is big then use the steps I gave you for the big jumps (15-30) feet keepin mind that is just my perspective of a big double so try it and see if it works for you.

they are both about 20-30 feet. i don't see onther peolpe seat bouncing just hit it like its a normal jump. i can probably hit in in 3rd fine but maybe in 4th? should i overjump a little the first few times?

whoa killer, hold on a minute.....

1.15-30 feet is really not big at all..it may be to YOU at this point, but once you hit it, you'll be pissed at yourself for not doing it earlier...yes, it is that easy

2.DO NOT seat bounce based on the gap of the double...first off, if you can't jump doubles in your sleep, you shouldnt be seat bouncing in the first place(or scrubbing, whipping, anything that requires extra body movement while jumping)

3. seat bouncing is for jumps right out of corners, big or small, that are hard to clear cleanly without that little extra ummpphhh you get from the seat bounce...it DOES NOT double your distance, height, anything, its just a little bit extra to clear the obstacle.

NOW:

When approaching a double just think of it as a tabletop....do just as you would with a tabletop and roll over it once, then go further and further until you get the feel for how the takeoff throws you...the only difference is with the double there is only so far you can test it before it's go big or go home. This is when you watch other riders hit it on similar bikes. Say there's a 60ft step up with a decent, smooth, run up to it out of a good, simple bermed corner(best case scenario)...just sit there and watch others hit it on a similar bike to yours. If they are barely getting over it, WFO, from the corner, then you just have to make sure you are WFO and perfect through the corner the first time you hit it and then boom, you are over it. If they coast up to it or scrub on the face at all or are hitting it from the inside, this should give you even more confidence as you can just hit it from the outside, steadily accelerating, and know you will get over it cleanly. Basically watch others hit it and ask as many questions as possible.

Also...have 100% confidence in yourself and your riding..if theres any point you think you arent gonna make it, then you probably wont...KNOW in your mind that you are clearing that double first try, perfectly..but then also know in the back of your mind that you are confident enough in your bike skills to save it if you get a little sketched out mid-air(which comes from jumping tabletops, the first type of jump you learn)....hope that made sense

You just gotta go for it.... I have the same problem sometimes with certain jumps.

When I was racing I had the hardest time with doubles, same as you. I found that if I jumped it right off the bat (first or second lap on the track) I was fine. When I would sit too long thinking and watching I would actually phsyche myself out of jumping it. I agree with the earlier post that says ask other guys hitting it what they are doing, third gear steady throttle, second gear wide open etc... this can be extremely helpful. Sometimes you are more comfortable in third gear 3/4 throttle then 2nd WFO so knowing what makes it and what doesn't is helpful. Again as stated earlier, YOU have to COMMIT, if you don't you are asking for trouble. Don't think about what is in between, think about the landing...

I've found it definately helps to compare the distance of new doubles to the distance of jumps i can do. After rolling the lip a few times to get the feel of any kick just think about the distance and not the gap. If you can make 20 - 30 feet tabletops, same deal. you just have to know it.

ya you have probably heard this millions of times and you will hear it again but you have to comit to it. just go in a gear you feel fast and comfortable in and you will hit it just fine. if it is 10 feet with anything higher then a 80 then you should hit it with ease in second. but once you do it once it will feel like you have been missing something while you were riding

Well if it's a pretty big gap (15-30)feet you want to go full throttle and try to seat bounce. Full throttle should be hard to do but seat bouncing is were you crouch low and on the face of the jump smack your ass on the seat and it will spring you up in the air about twice as much as you would in regular preload mode.

I hope your not seat bouncing 15-30 feet lol .

You have to just break the fear of it man, OPEN IT UP, the more speed the better, trust me, I nailed this triple I thought I could hit perfect pinned in 2nd, well I was wrong, made the double, but totally cased the triple, worst hard landing I ever took, totally bottomed out, etc...but I rode through. So the next lap I put it in 3rd and just nailed it, cleared it, now I have a feel for how much speed I need.

It's better to overjump a little than case it a little IMO. Just give it gas, hope for the best, if you land hard or fall, don't be afraid to hit it again (that used to happen to me). Just get up, try again. Once you land it, it will be a huge weight lifted off you're shoulders, and it will become your favorite jump at the track man. Thats the ONLY advice that is real, the bike has the power, it's all mental fear!

Do the thing you fear and the death of fear is certain. In other words, if the kids on 85's can do these doubles, you can too! When you clear them the first time (and you'll never know until you try) you will see the death of your fear!! And you'll be wondering what took you so damned long to jump 'em.

Do the thing you fear and the death of fear is certain. In other words, if the kids on 85's can do these doubles, you can too! When you clear them the first time (and you'll never know until you try) you will see the death of your fear!! And you'll be wondering what took you so damned long to jump 'em.

yeah I keep saying that too myself when I keep wanting too try this 100 + triple

What I hate about it you can't c the landing until your done in the air, then right when you land sharp right hander soo you can't overjump it that much or your going off the track ..

You really can't hit a double little by little because your just going to beat the hell out of your suspension doing that doubles mean your going all out or nothing if you hesitate your screwed but if you keep your cool and hammer it you'll be allright. :thumbsup:

seat bouncing when you don't really know how to do it is one sure fire way to get a decent endo going and probably flip yourself right off of the bike. best left up to more experienced jumpers. not doubting your ability, just be careful.

Once you get comfortable with the doubles you can judge the timing of your powerbands and hit and slap them in right at the bottom of the face of the jump that's what I do I found that the most effective way to clear doubles.

Ill be the one to say it: 1996CR125, you dont know what you're talking about...beginners dont need advice from beginners on how to do jumps. 15-30ft is not a big jump. sorry

Well I didn't say that was a big jump to me I was putting it in begginers terms not my own get your facts straight.