Sign in to follow this  

biking

ok I have started going on bike rides with my sister usually we go about 13 miles round trip I would say(I know it is 1/2 mile to the end of the block but I gotta drive the rest and see) and today it took us 30min does that sound like a good enough ride if I do it say every 3 days?? or should I step up the time

Depends on what your goals are. If you don't have one, get a heart rate monitor and ride in your target heart rate zone for what you are attempting to accomplish.

ok will do I did notice that the second time I made the trip it was waaayyyy easier than the first time

What is the terrain like, down hill, flat, up hill, combination.

What gear are you riding the bike in, low, high etc.

Riding a bike in the real world can be more fun and get you out doing it. Riding a stationary bike can be boring and you just might not do it at all.

The thing I like about the stationary bike is I don't have to depend on the terrain to be difficult I can just increase the resistance.

This can be accomplished on the real bike by just picking a harder gear.

Coasting on a bike means you aren't doing anything, on a stationary I never get a break until I stop.

I do a pretty hard resistance, 30 minutes and do 16 miles.

If my legs get a little tired I lighten the resistance a bit for just a minute or so and then go back.

You have to be the judge on whether the workout is hard enough for you.

You can always go faster, standup the entire time, change gears.

As you get better, stronger the time doesn't have to increase but the effort can.

One of my favorite leg/cardio workouts is doing stairs. Lifting heavy weights with your legs won't help if they get tired in 5 minutes. Doing stairs for 20 minutes gives my legs a good workout like standing while on the bike.

The important thing is you're out there doing it...

Last thing is Cardio goes extremely fast, take just a few days off and you have to work your way back. I do the stairs 5 days a week and try to get in at least 3 days of the stationary.

I love lifting weights and hate cardio but nothing makes me feel better afterwards like cardio...

well its mostly flat but we go over a BIG! bridge that trains go under and it is killer going over that but after that in the park we ride to it is kinda hilly and I try to keep it in a higher gear usually 2nd up front and 5th in the back total I have 3 up front and 8 in the back

Are you on amountain bike or on a road bike.

13 miles in 30 minutes isn`t that good.

You should at least warm up riding slow for 10-15 minutes.

You should NEVER COAST and keep your revolutions at 80-100 rpm.

Count how many strokes you do with your right lew on 20 seconds and multiply it by 3.

Biking is easier than running so to get a good workout you`ll need at least 1 hour of effective riding time.Unless you were doing intervals or hill climbing which you aren`t doing and you should stay away from until 3 or 4 months from now.

Take for example a training plan for road riding or mountain bike racing the first 3 months you should ride at least 14 hours per week. That`s to build up a base for further intensive training.

So it sure beats staying home watching TV. But riding for such a short time and at that slow is like walking around the neighborhood for 15 minutes smelling the flowers.

I`m not trying to be harsh. I`m trying to be realistic.

I am on a mountain bike but riding on a sidewalk I am not sure how far it is exactly 13 miles was a guess I am gonna drive my route with my truck and see how far it is exactly the speed we ride at is probably around 15mph I would guess and I don't coast if I start to go faster than I can peddle I just up shift

I think I may have found a different route to get to the same park we ride to and it might be longer I'll have to check if so I may ride the one route and rest for a little bit like 5min(is that too long??) at the most and then ride the other route

I am on a mountain bike but riding on a sidewalk I am not sure how far it is exactly 13 miles was a guess I am gonna drive my route with my truck and see how far it is exactly the speed we ride at is probably around 15mph I would guess and I don't coast if I start to go faster than I can peddle I just up shift

I think I may have found a different route to get to the same park we ride to and it might be longer I'll have to check if so I may ride the one route and rest for a little bit like 5min(is that too long??) at the most and then ride the other route

I ride a stationary bike at between 35-40mph for half an hour with constant hard tension. Riding at half that speed on a bike that is made for getting places which means it is geared to make it easy not hard.

In the end you have to be the judge. Your level right now this might be a start, if your legs aren't tired and if you aren't one big sweety beast at the end you aren't working hard enough imho.

If you are going to ride at 15mph I would definitely suggest an hour to hour & half. It will give you a cardio but not a specific cardio for riding dirt. Dirt bike riding you generally are riding all out for only 20-30 minutes. Train for your objective...

ok I have started going on bike rides with my sister

The only real important thing here is not to get beat by your sister.

Throw a stick into her spokes if necessary. :thumbsup:

The only real important thing here is not to get beat by your sister.

Throw a stick into her spokes if necessary. :thumbsup:

yea right she can't catch me

I ride a stationary bike at between 35-40mph for half an hour with constant hard tension. Riding at half that speed on a bike that is made for getting places which means it is geared to make it easy not hard.

In the end you have to be the judge. Your level right now this might be a start, if your legs aren't tired and if you aren't one big sweety beast at the end you aren't working hard enough imho.

If you are going to ride at 15mph I would definitely suggest an hour to hour & half. It will give you a cardio but not a specific cardio for riding dirt. Dirt bike riding you generally are riding all out for only 20-30 minutes. Train for your objective...

I am just riding to get exercise not training for racing or anything just wanna loose some weight so I can keep my stock springs and save some money and get a little healthier in the process :thumbsup:

It`s nice to do some cardio it sure helps out for both your life and for dirt bike riding.

BUt if you are trying to loose weight you really have to focus a little more.

Riding a mountain bike on sidewalk park will help you staying fit but that`s it.

Try to combine it with some weights or just situps, pushups, etc...

Or if you are only going to do cardio be more intensive.

A good thing of mixing up weights with cardio is that it dosnt get boring. You do less weight exercises 3 -10 reps for each muscle group and mix the cardio like 30 min of biking or 3 3 minute rounds of jump rope + 3 3 minute rounds of shadow boxing + 3 3 minute rounds of bag punching. or 30 minutes of swimming. Etc...

weights help you to loose weight faster and you`ll get injured less from falls.

You're not saying you could do 35 mph on a road bike for 30 minutes are you?

You're not saying you can do 35 mph on a road bike for 30 minutes are you?

Stationary and I do about 18mile in 30 minutes with pretty good resistance.

On a road bike that would be flying and you would need some pretty open road for that...

It`s nice to do some cardio it sure helps out for both your life and for dirt bike riding.

BUt if you are trying to loose weight you really have to focus a little more.

Riding a mountain bike on sidewalk park will help you staying fit but that`s it.

Try to combine it with some weights or just situps, pushups, etc...

Or if you are only going to do cardio be more intensive.

A good thing of mixing up weights with cardio is that it dosnt get boring. You do less weight exercises 3 -10 reps for each muscle group and mix the cardio like 30 min of biking or 3 3 minute rounds of jump rope + 3 3 minute rounds of shadow boxing + 3 3 minute rounds of bag punching. or 30 minutes of swimming. Etc...

weights help you to loose weight faster and you`ll get injured less from falls.

thanks for the info I will start doing that right now I can only use 2 20lb free weights I do have a bench but my mom put a big dresser in my room and now I cant use it but that came with only 80lbs of weight I think I have 50 the curling bar I also have but the bar weighs 10lbs

and in the winter I will just plow the driveway by hand instead of using the tractor that will be a good cardio work out and I guess I'll have to find some other stuff to. My ultimate goal is to get down to around 200lbs(because that is what race tech's calculator recommends for my current springs) I currently weigh 285.

You may not have many weights around but don't let that discourage you.

Growing up I didn't have any. I used 5 gallon buckets and filled them with sand, a bar and laid on a table. Do push ups 3 sets just like bench. Work your goal to do at least 50 at a time.

Do triceps by putting your feet up on something in front of you and raising and lowering yourself.

20lbs is more than enough to work out your shoulders.

The buckets you can do squats.

Be creative if you don't have money to buy weights.

Remember our soldiers are beat to death with mostly their own weight.

Pushups, situps, leg lifts, leg lunges all kinds of stuff.

I use to go out in the street and take man hole covers and bench press them.

If you have any money get some type of walkman or ipod mp3 player anything.

I couldn't finish any kind of cardio without music it keeps me motivated when I want to quit.

I like to workout while watching a boxing match or during ufc anything so my mind won't let me quit before my body is really ready...

Are you on amountain bike or on a road bike.

13 miles in 30 minutes isn`t that good.

A 26 mph average isnt that good?

A 26 mph average isnt that good?

http://primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/jumpsite/calculat.htm

I put in 285lbs and 30 minutes

Bicycling: 12-13.9 mph, leisure, moderate effort 684

From what I have found this

One pound of body weight is equal to 3,500 calories. Eating 500 fewer calories per day will result in a weight loss of 1 pound per week. Eating 250 fewer calories per day combined with a 250-calorie deficit from exercise will also result in a weight loss of 1 pound per week. Athletes should lose no more than 2 to 3 pounds per week.

Assuming he doesn't change his diet the 30 minutes gets him his 500 a day or 1lb a week. To get to the 2-3lb a week he is going to need to lose between 1000-1500 calories a day. Without diet change this would increase his workout to

Bicycling: 12-13.9 mph, leisure, moderate effort 1368 and this is just increasing to an hour, same workout and still has 132 more calories to burn.

Yes an hour is a good place to start...

Lasik, you are an animal!

Do you want to move to Houston? I could use another trainer!