Sign in to follow this  

New noise

I was riding last night and I noticed a noise that started between sessions. It sounds like a small ticking noise. My friend noticed it too before I even said anything. I know the logical thing would be to check the valves and I will. If it is the valves, why would this cause a noise?

I also noticed the past 2 rides that the engine doesnt seem as responsive as usuall.

What is the risk of riding it like this as I went on riding the rest of the night.

Thanks in advance.

I dont know how to check the valve clearence yet so I guess I have to take it to the shop. Sucks.

mine just started making a ticking sound here latly, actually last ride. I have rhc valves and springs but they have not moved any. I dunno might be just me thought it was a exhaust leak but can't find anything guess I won't worry about it lol .

If the noise follows the rpm.s of the motor and is not load affected, then valves clearance is certainly a possibility. If it is the valves making noise, it would be due to excessive clearance. When the clearance is excessive, the valve train components have more room to "slap" each other, therefore the ticking noise. There certainly could be some problems from running it that way. Rocker Arm fatigue and valve face cupping. It's worth having it checked before it snowballs on you.

I know mine is not effected by rpm thats why I ws not worried about it . I just notice it at idle, and yes I know how loud these bikes are this just started last ride.

You have to start the diagnosis process somewhere, and valves would be a piece of mind place to start.

I just checked yesterday, same as when I put it back together when rhc did my head.. .004 intakes, .009 exhaust I like too set mine a little tigther..

the slide in the carb can make a metallic noise at idle ,it rattles back and fourth with the intake pulse, does it go away when you open the throttle ?

the slide in the carb can make a metallic noise at idle ,it rattles back and fourth with the intake pulse, does it go away when you open the throttle ?

I belive mine does I will check tomarrow after I get my swingarm back on .

checked mine when I checked the valves it's good.. My tick is only at idle and coming from back of the cylinder. I have no clue what it could be .