Sign in to follow this  

holy shit, this normal??????

all i have to say is holy shit. i raced PIR last night and the freaking header burnt a hole through my alloy sx pant. my pants came up and it burnt a good 3in hole just under wear the leather is on the pant. should the header really get hot enough to melt through my pants???? if so, is their any thing that i can wrap arond the header that wont effect performance but keep my pants from desinigrating?????

oh well, looks like new gear time :thumbsup:

thats odd... i use my header to ice down a brew after a nice long ride all the time... you must have some issues with your bike dude.

Yes it will and yes it's normal. You should have a heat shield over it, but you can add some exhaust wrap around it. I'm assuming it's a four stroke?

u dont have a heat sheild?

Sure he does. His pants :thumbsup:

It's just not a very effective one.

alright, ill take it as that it is normal.

anyways, i went riding today in my practice gear and i have figured out why. in long sweepers, i put my right foot out and my pants hit the header infront of the heat shield.

now for my less stupid question, is their anything that i can wrap around the header to prevent this from happening and if so, where do i get it and how much do i need.

thanks

I'd stay away from header wraps, I've seen several car headers crack after being wrapped. Get some pants with longer heat resistant panels.

I think the pants should come with the leather higher and wider then you wouldnt burn them even with no shield :thumbsup:

I'd stay away from header wraps, I've seen several car headers crack after being wrapped. Get some pants with longer heat resistant panels.

good tip :thumbsup: I have seen muffler components suffer from the extreme heat caused by wrapping pipe

The header on my old YZ250F would glow red at night races while on the start line, they get plenty hot. :ride:

Not sure, but an aftermarket header guard for off-roaders might help. It would seem hard to get your leg to the header past the stock one without sticking your foot into the wheel. :thumbsup:

Us short-leggers don't have this problem. One, my leg would never reach past the heat shield. Two, the leather knee panel goes from 4" inside my boot all the way to my crotch!

My wife does the same thing. Goes through pants like crazy. I haven't found a heat shield that goes further forward yet but I haven't really looked hard either.

Take the pants to a leather shop and have a leather insert sowen over the prolem areas.

I would not be afraid of header wrap. The automotive components they are referring to are usually mild steel tubing, I think the header on the CRF450's are made of titanium, it will handle the increased heat better the mild steel.

I would not be afraid of header wrap. The automotive components they are referring to are usually mild steel tubing, I think the header on the CRF450's are made of titanium, it will handle the increased heat better the mild steel.
I'm not sure if it's mild steel, but a magnet will stick to the CRF250R header, so it's not titanium......

I'm not sure if it's mild steel, but a magnet will stick to the CRF250R header, so it's not titanium......

and we are in the 450r forum talking about a 450r header that IS titanium! :thumbsup:

wanna bet! :thumbsup: