Sign in to follow this  

Look out Pismo!

Here I come! :thumbsup:

Im new to california, so Im on tour checking out all the great spots here, Pismos my next stop. Anyways I need direction to the oceano dunes aka pismo. Spanks alot!

Oh yeah hows the crowd there this time of year? ANyone have suggestions ect, ect for my 1st time?

where r u coming from? either take the 101 north, or the 101 south...lots of peeps this time of year(summer)...riding area isn't very big, but its loads of fun.....clam chowder is very good :thumbsup:

Where at in Cali are you?? get too hwy 1 or 101 ( i cant remember if it is still 101) the signs on the freeway will lead you too the dunes.. Air down your tires too drive onto the beach, take a tow rope just in case you get stuck.. Put a flag on your bike, and be careful when your back is to the ocean, some big drops.. Also, if you decide to jump, good idea too have a spotter.. watch out for quads and sandrails..

Have fun!! :thumbsup:

Or derrr Im coming from orange county. I know to take the 101 eventaully but what exit? And where to go from the exit? Dumping stations around or should I load up before the trip?

Oh someone say chowder? Im so there! Whats the palce called?

Woo hoo I cant wait! Im going this monday- thursday will it be packed?

Its been cool there so bring jackets. The dunes entrance is actually closer to Oceano and if I remember right, coming from the south, you get off at Arroyo Grande. Reservations needed for the weekends but probly not during the week.

It is you that should be looking out, because no one else at Pismo will be.

yeah I heard alot of people party there. I have no prob w/ having some beverages as long as your safe, yet I hear alot of shit happens because of DD.

Im always watching out! :thumbsup:

Every time I go to Pismo, I swear I will never go back! They have gradually closed more and more of it, until we are all crowded into a very small area. The place is always so hacked up, that you usually can't find any virgin sand anywhere.

Try to go mid week, and avoid weekends. The best weather conditions are in the fall. The best sand conditions are in the spring, when it's really windy (makes for lousy camping though).

I say if gas prices are an issue, save you money and wait until Glamis cools off. While it's hot, go ride at high altitude.

Talkin about times of the year to go and sand conditions, i hear it is FUN after it rains and the sand gets packed :thumbsup:

Heading north on 101 you can exit Grand Avenue or 4th street. Grand will take you through town. 4th will be quicker and dumps you on to Grand just a few blocks from the north entrance. (Turn right on Grand) You can enter the beach there or turn south on Hyw 1 to pier ave and enter via the south ramp. Green stickers sparky 's and flags are required. Bring sweatshirts because in the summer it can stay foggy all daylong.

Most places have good clamchowder but we like the Splash Cafe on Pomeroy, one block up from the pier. Check the website.

Have fun!

SPLASH CAFE in Pismo for Clam Chowder. Get it in a bread bowl, YUM! It's on Pomeroy right up from the pier. But be prepared for a long line. It's always crowded on the weekends, with lines all the way around the building, but the chowder is worth it.

Have fun at Pismo, every weekend during the summer it's insane there. I live in San Luis Obispo wich is about 10 min. south of Pismo and since the middle of the week or so i've seen a ton of toy box trailers headed for the dunes. Labor day weekend will be SUPER packed... make a reservation if you can, or else you'll most likely get turned away if you're going Labor Day weekend.

Have fun, and be careful. That place gets REALLY dangerous on big holiday weekends.

And, if i were you, take the Arroyo Grande, Grand Street exit. It's the easiest way. Just make a left off the exit going west... Or else, follow the hundreds of other trailers going to the same place you are. lol.

right outside the entrance onto the beach is a dump station.. If you leave sunday afternoon, be prepared to wait in line as alot of trailers are there dumping.. Be prepared too air down your tires an your tow vehicle and trailer.. I think i run my tires down to around 15 lbs, just so there is a wide patch too keep them up on top of the sand.. If you park near the beach, watch out for the high tide line.. There can be ALOT of traffic during high tide as there is less area to drive on.. We always park way off the beach..

Have fun and be sure too post up some pics :thumbsup:

Pismo is not the best area for riding. But it is a lot of fun to camp and cruise plus you gotta hit it before the greens get it all closed down. Just be sure to hit the self car wash spot on the way out of town otherwise your truck and bike will be a rust bucket in a couple of weeks. Have fun.

GP

i don't know why everyone always bags on Pismo. i've been there over 500 times and i'm planning on going the next 3 weekends in a row to get ready for the WORCS race in October. i've only had to call for reasoirvations once and that was the last time i went, but if you aren't planning on staying the night no the dunes you shouldn't have a problem.

i run about 4 pounds in the front tire and about 6 in my paddle. if the front of your bike still washes out on you try less pressure (i've ran 0 and it worked great except i had to replace the tire and tube when i got home)

ANyone have suggestions ect, ect for my 1st time?

Here's an old thread with some tips and info. You can also do a TT search on Pismo to pick up other threads.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90742

EDIT -- Oh, and be REAL careful riding eastbound in the dunes there. The slipface dropoffs can catch you way off guard, and leave you hurting if you fly off of them. Just take it easy at the top of each dune when riding eastbound, and then roll over the lip. :thumbsup:

Pismo is a pretty scary place to go. I use to go there 4-5 times a year for the past 20 years until about 4 years ago. Be careful out there, it is not uncommon to see and ambulance out there 2-3 times a day or to see someone air lifted out of there. Someone here from Bakersfield just got killed there last month on a Kawasaki Mule when a truck came flying over a dune and landed on them. Again someone flying over a dune and landing on someone else not all that uncommon, or someone flying either in or right next to your camp at all hours of the day and night. Alot of people drink and ride out there. Me personally i will never go back to that place to ride. I might drive down the beech, but there is now way in hell i would take my family out there to ride. Maybe during the school year, during the week. Again be careful and watch out for the idiots, there are alot of them out there.

Someone here from Bakersfield just got killed there last month on a Kawasaki Mule when a truck came flying over a dune and landed on them. Again someone flying over a dune and landing on someone else not all that uncommon, or someone flying either in or right next to your camp at all hours of the day and night. Alot of people drink and ride out there. Me personally i will never go back to that place to ride. I might drive down the beech, but there is now way in hell i would take my family out there to ride. Maybe during the school year, during the week. Again be careful and watch out for the idiots, there are alot of them out there.

i was down there when that happened. they didn't have anyone directing people at the top of the dune like what they should do. a couple weeks earlier a guy jumped off the back of a dune and broke his collar bone.

i don't know why everyone always bags on Pismo. i've been there over 500 times and i'm planning on going the next 3 weekends in a row to get ready for the WORCS race in October.

Your right everyone bags on that place but it is not that bad. Yeah its crowded but it cool

Your gonna be out there for the 25th-27th and Sept 1-4th too. Lets hook up, PM me...Anyone else gonna be there?

Do you know if they are having the Drags on Labor day this year?

late

PS

that avitar is funny :thumbsup: