Sign in to follow this  

Water Pump Leaks Oil

I did a search and didn't find anything on this one and hope someone else has an idea of a fix.

After the invitable coolant leak started this year, I did the RTV fix shown on the fourm (pure genius). What I did different though was press out the pump assembly from the side cover and then with the rtv fix, replace the entire seal and both O rings.

Next ride I found oil blowing out of the bottom of the pump housing where it is spaced away from the side cover and covering the cover/frame with oil. Not a lot, but enough to make a mess, look like heck and be disturbing.

Without any luck it turns out, I pulled it back apart and replaced the inner O ring between the pump assembly and case thinking I may have nicked it. (it was OK)

I pulled it back apart last night and by plugging the other end and pressurizing the housing, it appears the oil is going past the washer and bearings and into the pump housing where it then drips out the weep hole in the bottom. Oil level is OK Probably the same place the antifreeze dripped out of.

Without a true interior engine seal, it seems I should silicone the weep hole shut and the problem will stop though I am concerned that if I get another coolant leak it will go into the engine instead of the ground.

Any ideas, or has anyone else run into this one? BTW the rtv fix worked great.

There most certainly is a true interior oil seal. A standard lip seal is used on the shaft between the oil and the "pee" hole. You need to replace the oil seal. You may have lost the garter spring in assy or nicked the lip when it passed over the sharp edge retaining ring groove. DO NOT plug up the "pee" hole. Come on, you know better than that. The mechanical face seal that seals the coolant in is not effective in sealing oil out. You will get oil in the coolant.

DO NOT plug up the "pee" hole. Come on, you know better than that.

Wouldn't want someone to come by and plug up your "pee" hole now would you :ride::applause:

I can't believe he even suggested it :thumbsup:

When you change your oil lip seal check the shaft where the seal lips ride it can get very slight grooves that will hurt the seals ability to properly seal. It should seal without the RTV trick, it does when it is new.

Thanks Noble & DRZ. Now that you mention it, I think I do remember an oil seal. Not sure how but I obviously have F'd this one up and of course the water pump seal will need to be replaced...............again!

Ah yes, gaining experience and spending more.

The reply is appreciated and probably saved a 4th dissasembly.

Wouldn't want someone to come by and plug up your "pee" hole now would you :ride::applause:

I can't believe he even suggested it :thumbsup:

You get over 50 and your "pee" hole starts to plug on it's own, but thats for a different forum.

MM

Noble was right. There is an oil seal which I removed but didn't replace.

Motto: Don't be making repairs while drinking beer late on a weeknight. From now on it's gatoraid or water.

Glad this wasn't an axle nut.

is this a common problem on drz's ?

i read of people using rtv to fix a design flaw

has this seal been improved on the later models ?

i am desperate to escape the weep hole :ride:

It happens to some, and many it does not. So ya it's common, just not wide spread.

The seal design has not changed as far as I know.

If it's not leaking.. Forget about it and go ride. If it starts leaking, try the RTV fix, the cost is a gasket and tube of RTV. When done right it works most every time. :thumbsup: