Sign in to follow this  

Tire tube sizing

Hello all, I was just curious as to why people are recommending different sizes for tire tubes other than the size of the actual tire, i have read on the dunlop and the maxxis websites that it says to get a tube that reads the exact same size as the tire itself, (120/90-18 with 120/90-18 tube). ??

You never want to use a tube that is too big. A wrinkle will result in a flat. A tube that is way too small will be over stretched which will weaken it. Other than that, there is a lot of tolerance in tube fitment. Most tubes are marked with a range of sizes it will fit. I know of no tubes that are an exact fit for only 1 size tire. A tube a little too small is better than a tube a little too big.

Only one I can think of is the michelin bib moose or whatever that tube made out of closed cell foam is called. It is for a specific size IIRC.

I have seen a lot of guys recommending a spare front tube in your survival kit but never recommending different sized tubes for both.

A front tube wll work in either size in an EMERGENCY 20 miles from nowhere but should be changed out when you get back to civilization.

What have you heard?

http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=2092004112804〈=EN

Front tube in the rear--Hmm. Yes, I did that once. Well known advise. Now a myth in my mind. One of those learning experiences where you feel like you just cheated death. Ever have an actual blow-out at 70 MPH on a fully loaded dual sport? Me neither but I did standing still at a road repair after just slowing from 70. Front tube in the rear blew after about 25 miles of use. Had a tear 8" long. 5 min earlier or no road repair and I'd be dead. Front tube in the rear - not such a good idea. I do carry both.