Sign in to follow this  

CRF250x vs RC51 vs S2000 vs M3 vs ZO6

CRF250x - 27hp - 108hp/liter

RC51 - 128hp - 128hp/l

S2000 - 237hp - 107hp/l

M3 - 333hp - 104hp/l

ZO6 - 505hp -72hp/l

I just wanted to compare motors and hp output for these motorcycles/cars. The figures may not be accurate but these are what I found in my 2 minute search. I'm trying to compare apples and oranges which have many variables that can be argued but I'd like your opinions.

We had the old XRs with bulletproof reliability just as Honda had the old Prelude. They later came out with the high performance four stroke dirt bikes as Honda came out with the S2000. However the reliability became questionable with the dirt bikes as some had engine failures despite meticulous maintenance and not over revving the motor. This is not isolated to Honda as KTM, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki owners also experienced their engine failures.

Yet, the RC51, S2000, M3, ZO6 does not seem to have as much motor problems as the dirt bikes. If I bought one of these vehicles, I would maintain them as recommended. I would drive it normally most of the time but I would gun the gas peddle every now and then, take it to a race track for 1/4 mile and top speed runs. I also would not hesitate to use it as my daily driver. I would be very disappointed if I had engine problems before 50,000 miles. These machines are basically miracles.

If you race the dirt bike you can expect early failures. But, it would be nice to have the old XR reliability with the new hot rod four strokes. It would be an engineering miracle if you did not have to check those valves every few hours of riding. Would we buy a car of we had to check the valves every few hours? I know the new fourstrokes are race engines but the Honda S2000 is very close to a race engine (107 hp/liter with smog equipment).

So, are we asking too much engineering from the manufacturers or are we just that much harder on our bikes?

keyword DIRT! you guys talk about the xr's like they were the best bikes ever. Owned two and as a honda tech and service manager I had the pleasure of rebuilding many a xr. More specific the xr 250 and 400 both had valve problems. Every time the valves were adjusted was because they were cupping so they would get tight instead of loose like the 600. Eventhough they "lasted" longer they had the same problem, bad valves. The difference is that my crf 250 puts out the same or more peak power than the dinno designed 400. Also give the manufacturers alittle more time. The 1983 xr 350 wasn't with out problems if it was they wouldn't have made them dry sump the next year. I'm ok with the output and they are RACE bikes. No different than a cr 250 or 125 and all the maintenance that goes along with them. Unfortunately more moving parts. If we had say a twin or 4 cylinder you could see better reliability. Nobody builds a single cylinder formula one car. they would vibrate themseves into a million pieces. Apples and oranges, I think not! grapes and watermelons.

Those car engines that you mention weren't engineered to be super-lightweight, nor do they rev to 13,000+ rpm. And the RC51, like the car engines, doesn't spend 9/10 of it's life above 10,000 rpm. If you kept any of those engines at and above 80% of their maximum rpm for 90% of their life like a motocross, bike, they would have break-down issues and accelerated wear rates just like a motocross bike.

You're comparing apples to hamburgers.

Also consider the fact that high-performance 4-stroke dirt bikes are still kind of in their infancy, and as such are still experiencing some growing pains, mostly in valve department. As more and more R&D is put into these motors, the reliablity will get better. It's already happening: Honda has made changes to the CRF motors in 05 and again in 06 specifically to address valve problems. Yamaha (which has had less valve problems overall) issued a recall to fix a valve-related problem.

Hmm.. I was set on getting a 250X, though after thinking about the reliability of the current crop of 4-strokes, would I be better off with a CR125R? How much wrenching is involved with the current 4-strokes?

I want the 250X because I'll mostly be riding in the woods and doing hare scrambles two or three times a year. I'd like to hit the MX track for practice once in a while. Would the 250X handle that OK?