Sign in to follow this  

WHAT FLAVOR KOOL-AID DID YOU SAY THIS WAS? THE "KLR"- CULT?

First off let me say that the intention of this post is not to purposely piss off a certain group of people or to troll up controversy for my own amusement in any way, shape or form!

It is to try to understand the obsession with a bike that is plainly NOT the equal of the DR or XRL in quality, workmanship or reliability.

In the past 4 weeks I have read at least 500 threads(no B.S.) on TT., KLR., and advrider.combined as I am trying to find the best d/s for myself out of these 3 bikes. Keeping notes on specs. positive things and specific problems for each one. The problems with the KLR outnumber the problems with the XRL and DR by leaps and bounds!

Doohickey, sub-frame bolts, safety switches, front brake problems, engine noises, carb problems,rear suspension, front suspension and on and on and on!

And most of these bikes are 5 years old or newer! This is all from postings on their own website. "this just broke", "that just broke how do I fix it" etc. etc.

I'm not saying that honda or suzuki doesn't have problems but not in a plague form such as this!

These are the same people who will then tell you that this is the "best bike ever built!" Nothing compares to it! Then they will talk constant sh*t about the XRL and DR? The funniest story I read was a posting from a guy who was on the way home from the dealership with his BRAND NEW "KLR" and halfway there his exhaust fell off on the HWY.!

Are they brainwashed or so blinded by their love for it that they can't see the obvious anymore? Or is it that they have such a deep hatred for HONDA that they can't see anything else! There is a reason why there are so many aftermarket replacement parts for the KLR. BECAUSE THERE HAS TO BE THAT MANY! It's a never ending project!

I am not biased against KAWASAKI in any way! I have a new meanstreak in my garage. I am one of numerous people who are in the same, "which one of the three should I buy?" phase right now. I know several lifelong HARLEY owners who have never had so many problems like this right out of the box

with there bikes in all the time they have had them as this bike has!

Maybe it's just me but after dropping over $5000.00 on a new bike the last thing I want to do is immediately replace 5 or more parts on it that WILL BREAK no doubt about it, under normal everyday use!

Maybe you like to constantly work on your bike, I don't!

I'd rather be riding mine!

So if I have completely pissed off a large amount of you like I told you your kid was ugly or something I apologize wholeheartedly! This is my personal opinion from everything I have read as well as personally riding each one of the 3 bikes. Will this post get yanked? who knows! I respect your opinion

and I hope I am entitled to mine. THANKS FOR READING!

Kool-Aid doesn't have flavors. Kool-Aid has colors.

Seriously not sure what problems you are speaking of. My 1989 Jr will not die... Not perfect, not my favorite for what my needs are now, but seems pretty reliable to me. I suppose if I really want to kill it then running it with no oil might work...

So are we talking a new top end at 100 hours? or what?

I have an 89 KLR and a 98 DR. Both are great bikes. The KLR has over 10.000 miles and the DR has 3500 miles. The only thing that has gone wrong with the KLR is a broken oil filter cover from overtightening. I ran the crap out of this KLR in the woods year after year and my brother has run the crap out of the DR. The Dr has not had a problem either. My brother also had a KLR and he had a carb problem right out of the crate but that is not Kawasaki's fault, it was a carb manufacturing problem. I honestly think both of these bikes will run 50.000 miles without a problem. You can not take a new bike and just run it, you need to get any bike home and check all the bolts and oil and just plain go over them before riding. I would not trust any factory or dealer to give me a bike that is ready to go out of the crate. I also have a KTM that needed lots of attention before I rode it. So I think all 3 bikes you are looking at are good bikes and it comes down to your preference, which company you feel more comfortable with.

I still don't know how this ties into Kool-Aid...

Your not old enough to remember. It has to do with a mass suicide in guyana so. africa in the 70's. A cult leader named jim jones ordered all of his followers to drink kool-aid laced with cyanide. Just a little dark humor on my part. :thumbsup:

First off let me say that the intention of this post is not to purposely piss off a certain group of people or to troll up controversy for my own amusement in any way, shape or form!

It is to try to understand the obsession with a bike that is plainly NOT the equal of the DR or XRL in quality, workmanship or reliability.

In the past 4 weeks I have read at least 500 threads(no B.S.) on TT., KLR., and advrider.combined as I am trying to find the best d/s for myself out of these 3 bikes. Keeping notes on specs. positive things and specific problems for each one. The problems with the KLR outnumber the problems with the XRL and DR by leaps and bounds!

Well, for about every 3000 KLR's sold, there is one DR650 sold. I think you will find maybe 200 XRL's for every 300 KLR's. Go ahead, look at the numbers. Do a search in a cycle trader, or ebay. You'll be lucky to see even one DR650 in the magazine. A few XRL's and a gob of KLR's. So it would be reasonable to assume just the sheer numbers is what makes it appear as if there is a load of trouble. I own a 2002 KLR650. I did do the doohickey at 248 miles and upgraded the rear subframe bolts. Doohickey was fine, subframe bolt break if they come lose. I did have to repalce the battery. Otherwise, zero trouble. Look on the net for accessories, you wont find squat for the DR and a few items for the XRL, but a ton for the KLR, everything imaginable. Its been unchaged since about 1986, prior was the KLR600 which I think showed up in 1984. Dont get me wrong, the DR650 is a real nice bike, probably better suited if you want to ride trails. The XRL would be second best, while the KLR is probably the biggest bike. I would never take mine on a trail, just limit it to superslab and dirt roads.

Your not old enough to remember. It has to do with a mass suicide in guyana so. africa in the 70's. A cult leader named jim jones ordered all of his followers to drink kool-aid laced with cyanide. Just a little dark humor on my part. :thumbsup:

It was in Central America and it was 1979. The area was called Jonestown. I remember it well.

Well, for about every 300 KLR's sold, there is one DR650 sold. I think you will find maybe 200 XRL's for every 300 KLR's. Go ahead, look at the numbers. Do a search in a cycle trader, or ebay. You'll be lucky to see even one DR650 in the magazine. A few XRL's and a gob of KLR's. So it would be reasonable to assume just the sheer numbers is what makes it appear as if there is a load of trouble.

as usual, i agree 100% with the toyota guy. as to mr bubba zanetti... here's your sign. :thumbsup:

dunno if you're retarded or what, but the xrl is a completely different focus than a klr. a klr is a bike you can ride to south america with, tomorrow. an xrl is a heavy street-legal dirt bike with real dirtbike suspension. a klr weighs 400 freakin' lbs (that's not a typo), so no reasonable person would try to ride it the same way as an xrl or even a dr.

i put 25,000 miles on mine, including a trip to lapaz and another to moab that had lots of dirt. absolutely flawless for me.

otoh, if i were buying another big dualsport, i'd probably look at the dr just because it's a bit lighter and i don't have many paved roads here. i wouldn't buy a honda if it were free, and even then i'd make them include liquid steel putty for when the wind came up and punched the shifter through the clutch cover.

seriously, and of the 3 big 650's is a reliable bike with many shortcuts and flaws that serious riders need to fix. the xrl is the most dirt-oriented, the klr the most street-oriented, and the dr in the middle. buy whichever one you like best and stop being a whiny little biatch.

-mark

p.s. the klr guys were incredibly unbelievably helpful when i was a total motorcycle noob. i imagine the dr and xr guys are similiarly helpful, but i can't swear to it.

People usually enjoy what they own. The KLR has issues, no doubt. I own one and admit that it is not a perfect bike but it's done well by me. 34,000 miles on a 2001 isn't too shabby.

I also owned another "cult" bike prior to this one, the Kawasaki Concours. That owners group was the same way, even though that bike had plenty of issues it was always the best bike out there to the forum members. :thumbsup:

Sorry not retarded. :thumbsup: Just well informed! So you rode it to lapaz bone stock from the dealer as it was or you replaced everything defective ahead of time? The honda comment was to be expected as most klr owners are completely biased against anything honda! My point was bone stock bike vs. bone stock bike, no mods. no specific terrain.

It was in Central America and it was 1979. The area was called Jonestown. I remember it well.

Actually it's in South America, on the northern coast between Venezuela and Cayenne (Suriname). (Sorry, I'm a geographer.)

:thumbsup:

A large group of riders like the KLR but you don't so they're all wrong. In other words, if someone doesn't think like you, they must be wrong. You sound a little too narrow-minded to me.

I did a ton of research and was initially leaning towards the DR side. The thing that made up my mind was the fact that all of the KLR's problems are well documented and fixable. I just figured those defects into the cost of the bike.

Also, I have a Honda Ruckus in the garage so I'm not sure what you meant about KLR bubbas hating anything Honda. I also have a Harley Springer and a Taiwanese quad.

Don't be so quick to judge.

p.s. the klr guys were incredibly unbelievably helpful when i was a total motorcycle noob. i imagine the dr and xr guys are similiarly helpful, but i can't swear to it.

This is what I have noticed - newbs seem attracted to the KLR because they are not sure how they will use the bike. Bikes are NOT like cars. They take a lot more knowledge - or $$$ - to own maintenance - wise.

So Bubba - Why did you start the thread? What is the point? And what bikes have you owned?

well bubba. you got it all wrong. i'm sure people have had problems with the bike, but you're making it sound like it's a cheaply made chinese bike. I have 2 klrs. one is a 94 and another a 97. the 94 has 63000 km on it, and has made it across canada both ways. the other klr has 35000 km on it and it is a daily driver. we haven't had a problem with either. ever. the 94 klr hasn't even been rebuilt yet. they are good bikes. even good enough to be used by the us army.

This is what I have noticed - newbs seem attracted to the KLR because they are not sure how they will use the bike. Bikes are NOT like cars. They take a lot more knowledge - or $$$ - to own maintenance - wise.

So Bubba - Why did you start the thread? What is the point? And what bikes have you owned?

I believe my real reason for starting this thread was out of frustration over not being able to decide between the 3 bikes! I wanted to see how many non-KLR owners or owners of multiple brands would defend this bike or not!

I knew the klr owners would stand behind it. In fact in all of my reading I have only found 1 person who owned one that was so dissatisfied with it he put it up for sale the next day. klr owners love it no matter what. xrl owners and dr owners love theirs bikes no matter what. It's the guy who also owns a honda or suzuki besides the klr and has nothing bad to say about it that I needed to be convinced by. So I guess that's who I have heard from on here.

Went to the dealer today here that sells all 3 and he says the klr outsells the other 2 bikes like 5 to1. So obviously you guy's know something that I don't know or have experienced by owning this bike. Starting to look like I am going to buy an '07 KLR now. Tons of parts, tons of help and you can't beat the price. Thanks for everyone's help! :thumbsup::ride:

Got lots of bikes in the garage. Never have owned the other 2 you are looking at.

KLR250 is probably not the size you are looking at.

The biggest problem with the klr is not the bike but the fact they attract people new to the sport because they are not sure how they will use the bike and they have been told by many people that it will many different things.

I was one of those people and asked all kinds of stupid questions and if someone unfamiliar with the bike were to read those they would think the bike was a total POS. Sorry to burst your bubble but it sounds like you have been listening to everyone for their opinions - you may want to figure out who really knows what is going on regarding a subject and put more emphasis on their opinion. Velo had it spot on when he said the bikes you are looking at are not the same type of bike.

klr jr strong point in my opinion is reliability and from what I have read the Sr shares that trait, many many thousands of miles. Weak point? The weight and the suspension is not good for real off road work.