Sign in to follow this  

Pressure washer damage.

Anybody ever damage a engine gasket with a pressure washer?

My KTM has developed a oil leak between the engine case and the clutch cover on the upper side. When the bike gets to operating temp i can see oil spluttering out of this gasket sealing area. can gaskets just go bad or does it sound like damage from using a pressure washer on the engine?

Other than losing a little oil when i ride can it cause any further damage? it only loses about an on a 80 mile ride. I'm just worried if there is a vaccum effect in the crank case sucking crap back in. Cause i want to go riding this weekend and can't get a new gasket until mid next week.

Thanks in advance

I pressure wash mine with a 4200 PSI pressure washer, but using the lightest tip. I blast the hell out of my engine area to get everything cleaned off, I been doing this for years, and no I have no had any problems. I try to stay away from gaskets, or seals though. I suppose it could be from pressure washing, did you notice you hit that area hard or something before?

It also just may need replacing.

could be a defective gasket

if your not gonna do any hard ridin id still ride it and have the new gasket on its way

shouldnt hurt nothin if ur just gonna do some weekend warrior type of fun

ridin

pressure washers are the best way to get your bike clean. you just have to worry about bearings and such.

The mating surfaces on some katies are off, when you get a new gasket check the area on both the case and cover...

I'd be woried about crap getting sucked in though...

i think ij messed up one of my gaskets from the pressure washer...its the head gasket on a kx250f next to the cams whenever im done ridiner theres a whole bunch of dust stuck there and i can wipe it off with my finger so i know oil is leaking out

I've been pressure washing all our bikes for quite awhile now, no problems. Stay away from seals and bearing and you'll be fine. :thumbsup:

I've been pressure washing all our bikes for quite awhile now, no problems. Stay away from seals and bearing and you'll be fine. :thumbsup:

Ditto....Stay way away from fork seals if you ride a Yamaha! :ride:

All i've had go wrong with pressure washing is ripping off stickers and graphics which doesn't affect performance but sure pisses me off!! lol

All i've had go wrong with pressure washing is ripping off stickers and graphics which doesn't affect performance but sure pisses me off!! lol

Aint tha the TRUTH

but ya still have a clean bike

Just email the companies and they will usually send ya more stickers

I have a whole box of from doing that

Anybody ever damage a engine gasket with a pressure washer?

My KTM has developed a oil leak between the engine case and the clutch cover on the upper side. When the bike gets to operating temp i can see oil spluttering out of this gasket sealing area. can gaskets just go bad or does it sound like damage from using a pressure washer on the engine?

Other than losing a little oil when i ride can it cause any further damage? it only loses about an on a 80 mile ride. I'm just worried if there is a vaccum effect in the crank case sucking crap back in. Cause i want to go riding this weekend and can't get a new gasket until mid next week.

Thanks in advance

When you're done with the pressure washer, spray the bearings, seals, gaskets, and chain with WD40 to get rid of the water. Just don't blast right at the gaskets with the washer and you should be fine.

I spray everything, bearings, whatever. I don't bother with WD40. Havent had any unusual maitanence or problems in over 6 years because of it.

I spray everything, bearings, whatever. I don't bother with WD40. Havent had any unusual maitanence or problems in over 6 years because of it.

I would watch out for it.

If your on a mx bike. mine went out 2 times I think due to spraying into the wheel bearings. :thumbsup:

I think the seals on the Enduro (WR XR ect are a tad better type seal too

In 6 years i have never had to replace a wheel bearing and the only linkage bearing that wears out is the upper shock bearing. No fork seal problems, no rust issues, etc.

In 6 years i have never had to replace a wheel bearing and the only linkage bearing that wears out is the upper shock bearing. No fork seal problems, no rust issues, etc.

What kinda bike you riding there , Aaron??