Sign in to follow this  

BC and FS road fines

Anyone been fined for riding on forest service roads aka logging roads in BC before?

I have been doing alot of road riding and touring the last little while and sometimes get a tad nervice :thumbsup:

Nope, not once. I have a forestry road map that encourages you to explore open logging roads with an insured vehicle, but I think the fuzz has more to worry about than a dirt bike riding on a dirt road

Anyone been fined for riding on forest service roads aka logging roads in BC before?

I have been doing alot of road riding and touring the last little while and sometimes get a tad nervice :thumbsup:

I haven't heard of anyone being fined but, If you're enjoying the Forestry rides and doing them quite often, you might want to consider just forking over the liability insurance cost and go legal- you need $200,000 liability and your driver licence/insurance on you to be legal on most forestry roads (unless they're designated non-motorized or highway). I've just found out you can do this and will probably buy 3 months of liability (~$77) just for piece of mind. Also, I suspect this is where everything is going anyway once the regulation of ATV's/dirt bikes comes down.

I haven't heard of anyone being fined but, If you're enjoying the Forestry rides and doing them quite often, you might want to consider just forking over the liability insurance cost and go legal- you need $200,000 liability and your driver licence/insurance on you to be legal on most forestry roads (unless they're designated non-motorized or highway). I've just found out you can do this and will probably buy 3 months of liability (~$77) just for piece of mind. Also, I suspect this is where everything is going anyway once the regulation of ATV's/dirt bikes comes down.

Thanks for the tips! So then I would have to go get a motorcycle license get a L and go through all that stuff?

I work/live in Alberta and have my CRF450X plated and insured here as an off-highway vehicle. My father has a RV lot in SE BC (by Cranbrook) and we go riding in that area (me on my bike, him on his quad). My Dad's quad is NOT licenced or plated, in fact he tells me that you can't get plates or insurance from ICBC. Where are you getting this liability insurance and do you need a plate? Will my AB insurance/plate cover this as well? Thanks for any info!!

I work/live in Alberta and have my CRF450X plated and insured here as an off-highway vehicle. My father has a RV lot in SE BC (by Cranbrook) and we go riding in that area (me on my bike, him on his quad). My Dad's quad is NOT licenced or plated, in fact he tells me that you can't get plates or insurance from ICBC. Where are you getting this liability insurance and do you need a plate? Will my AB insurance/plate cover this as well? Thanks for any info!!

ICBC will insure off-road only vehicles and you do not need plates at all. I have insured a few bikes for liability, theft and comprehensive. They call it an unlicenced policy. Cost me about $250 a bike for 6 months coverage.

Thanks for the tips! So then I would have to go get a motorcycle license get a L and go through all that stuff?

I have a class 5 licence, no claims and am long past my 20's so I don't know if that means anything. It seems to me that you have to have a clean record to get the ATV (we're considered ATVs) insurance. Not sure if age group factors in as well. If you do the "Quick Quote" below for Capri Insurance, all it bases it on is your bike displacement/value

http://www.capri.ca/insurancepages/associationpages/atvbc.asp

A friend told me that she got a better price than Capri's from somewhere but I can't recall. Fast426 and others who did you go through?

The next thing I'm checking, before deciding if I do need this (as I mostly bike at Bear Creek) is if the roads I would be interested in riding on (Summerland/Peachland/Naramata) allow ATV use, even if insured.

Nice bored out CRF 150. I got my insurance thru TD (Primmum Insurance) and I got a deal because I have my truck insurance thru them. The plate in AB is available at any Registry Agent in AB as long as you have the bill of sale and proof of insurance.

I don't think anyone really cares that bikes ride on logging roads. they still gotta catch you before they can fine you first.

I don't think anyone really cares that bikes ride on logging roads. they still gotta catch you before they can fine you first.

good point

good point

yeah, I'm sure they have better things to worry about.

no one would ever catch a dirtbike without destroying their vehicle because of the extreme roost big bore bikes throw in gravel.

I've passed forest service personelle, game wardens etc on forest service roads before with no problems at all. As long as you aren't being an idiot usually they just give you a wave and that's it. I've actually accidently blew past a wrecked stolen vehicle in the ditch that 3 cop cars and a crime unit were investigating in the middle of nowhere. 1 of the copcars chased me down (It took about 3km before I realized he was behind me with his lights on) and stopped me but all he wanted to know is if I saw who dumped the stolen vehicle. After I said I didn't, he asked me how I liked the "new" 4 strokes (this was back in 2002). I said I liked them, and he drove off... Usually if you stay off any surface with painted lines I find the authorities really don't care.

Just a note, It doesn't matter what insurance carrier you are using. If you are riding an off road vehicle on a public road (forest service roads included) your insurance probably dicloses that if you are breaking the law at the time off the accident (riding an off road vehicle on public road) your insurance is invalid, so be careful. :thumbsup:

I have never seen a cop once riding on logging roads, most logging companies dont mind bikes riding on there land as long as you dont steal stuff.

I live in mission bc and ride lots on those roads and take the off cuts which will lead to trails.

2 weeks ago was the first time I saw some cops and forrestry officials road block the entrance to sylvester forrestry road. They had set up after we were there, but I heard they were asking for peoples 3rd person liabilty ticket.

And busting the drunk 4x4's that were entering and leaving the road haha

I have only seen an actual police officer driving on the road once. And he didnt stop me or anything.

I wouldn't worry about it.... I never do or my buddies.

I live in Golden, BC and have been riding around here and the Kootenays my whole life on gravel roads. I have never had a problem. No, your dirt bike does not need to be registered in BC to ride off road like it does in Alberta. :ride::thumbsup: Oh yeah, a few years ago, there was a back road ban due to extremely high forest fire danger and they were stopping ALL vehicles.

like I said before, 99% don't even care. I'm sure they are more worried about the drunken idiots ripping around in stolen cars then torching them in the gravel pits. which causes our riding pits to get closed. :thumbsup: