Sign in to follow this  

What parts should be replaced in top end?

Just looking for recommendations on which parts a person should replace when you are doing a top end job (bike has about 120-150hrs). Here's what I was thinking:

Intake and exhaust springs and valves

Valve seals/all new gaskets

Machining the seats if needed

Piston kit (JE high comp!!)

But I have being reading other post and was wondering about other items?? Timing chain/ timing tensioner/ valve guides/ rocker cam components/ etc??? Thanks Guys, I'm stoked to get it apart and freshend up!! :thumbsup:

if u got the dough------06 head with guides in it-ferrea valves springs retainers seats-stem seals-cotter valves-je piston rings-pin-cylinder-cam chain+guides----thats what i got sittin on the shelf in the garage----ready to go if need be :thumbsup:

thats a little more thenI'd like to spend. Just like to replace needed/recommended parts while its apart. I see you listed Cam chain and guide, is that needed at 120hrs?

PS: What are "cotter valves"?

Valves <stock>

Valve Springs <stock> <used Auto Store Valve Tool>

Valve Seals

Stock Piston Kit <came With Everything Even Gaskets>

Cam Chain <get Motion Pro Flywheel Puller>

Exaust Gasket

Sparkplug

Thats All It Took To Freshen Up My Top End

Check You Clutch Basket By Now It Is Prob Groved

Should Get Jug Honed If You Can Its Like $25

If Valve Seats Dont Look Perfect Get Them Cut<mine Were Perfect>

That is close to what I was thinking. I see you listed cam chain, is it just extra precaution replacing the cam guides and tensioner aswell?

You mentioned Clutch, I bought a kit (plates and springs) Seemed like it wasn't fully disengaging. But I haven't looked at the basket yet to see if its overly grooved. If it is I was just going to lightly sand it smoother??