Sign in to follow this  

625 SMC Conversion?

I am considering purchasing an "06" 625 SMC and converting it/using it for medium Enduro duty. I have considered the 640 Adventure, however it seems to be more bulky than I would like. This may just be my be perception, because once you do the mods, ie: new tank etc., that may change. I wish we could get the new SXC's over here because that is really what I want. Would like to keep the 17" wheels and obtain a second set of 21 front and 18 rear for off road. Have not been able to find a source for those. Want to retain the cush drive. Bottom line are the SMC and SXC similar enough, suspension etc.., making this a not to involved process. If so will the aftermarket parts listed for the SXC or 640A (racks, engine guard, 18L fuel tank etc.) adapt to the SMC?

Is this a silly idea and cost prohibitive? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :thumbsup:

For anyone who cares, I have spent a fair amount of time trying to answer my question as posted. Also, given that we can not get a new SXC here in the U.S. and only have access to the 640A, most of my focus has been on trying to decide on whether to just buy a 640A or buy a 625 SMC and convert it. This is what I have found so far:

-SMC and SXC use the same main frame. 640A is essentially the same, however, has some extra mounts up front for the extra parts that are hung on it.

-The 625 SMC uses a different sub-frame than the SXC/640A

-The 625 SMC uses a different swing arm than the SXC/640A

-Approximately 1.5" less travel in the rear of the SMC versus a 640A. I have not been able to locate the specs on a SXC, however I assume it will be close to what the 640A is given that it uses the same sub-frame and swing arm as the 640A.

-Front travel is listed as the same.

-The 625 SMC appears to have a better Carb and maybe Exhaust than the 640A, per what I have read others saying.

-No problem getting a wheel set with the cush hub in 21/18"

So what really remains is will the different swing arm and sub-frame assembly on the SMC make it handle a lot worst off road. I assume if it was a better set up then KTM would use it on their SXC and 640A's. As for the rear travel being less, I think that can be adjusted. Had spoken to a KTM dealer that felt that what I want to do would create a much more fun bike to ride off road than the current 640A. Truth or fiction, don't know. Any input is welcome.

Other than suspension differences the SXC and SMC have different oil systems (SMC has a spin and holds more oil I believe and SXC is similar top RFS oil filter system w/two filters on the engine) I dont know if the SXC holds oil in the frame down tube either. At least thats what I seem to recall.

SMC has different fork bottom and caliper mount as welll as a four piston caliper.

If you are going to go offroad beyond just fireroads and light duty. I'd just get a used SXC and put a big (18 liter) tank on it.

As far as the 640 Adventure goes ... nice bike. The carb on the 640A (mikuni BST40) gets better mileage than the carb on the SXC (Keihin FCR41) But does not perform nearly as well.