Sign in to follow this  

How do you get your bike on the stand??

I know this is a total noob question but I just got a hand-me-down bike stand for my xr250r and I am wondering what the secret is to the bike up on it. The only way I have been able to is by lifting the front end up from the handlebars with me on one side and a friend on another and kicking the stand underneath. I would like to be able to put the bike on the stand by myself.

WHATS THE SECRET?

Bike stand? I don't have no stinking bike stand!

I have a jack stand that I use. I just lean it over on the kick stand and slide it in place. I use two for my GSXR 750. It has spools on the swing arm. I have to lift it and kick the stand in place.

I know TMI

KP :thumbsup:

I got a jack stand. But before that I had a lever stand that the bike fits over. But before that I lifted accross the bike behind the seat to raise the rear wheel off the ground and then rolled and pivoted on the front over the bucket.

Get at the back of the bike with your right thigh against the the left side panel ( left when you're sitting on it ) grip the subframe under the rear fender with your right hand and the handlebars with your left. Lean the bike into your thigh and lift up on the subframe, then once you get the rear tire high enough you should be able straghten the bike up alittle as you move the rear of the bike around and onto the stand using your thigh to push it over.

What I usually do when I'm using a stand is I lean the bike real far over towards me, reach over the bike and pull the stand closer to the bike, then do the lifting, its a little harder at first, but you don't have to move the bike as far this way.

Try it the first way and see how you do, you definately don't need a jack stand, it's an XR, but that doesn't mean you can't lift it.

It just takes a little getting used to, after a few times you won't even think about it.

:thumbsup:

I use a plastic beer bottle carrier as a stand (I assume you have those over there, most beer is sold in big glass bottles here).

I'ts just the right height to get the back wheel off the ground easily for chain lubrication. I do this as follows:

- Turn the front wheel all the way to the left.

- Hold front bake lever and tip bike onto its side stand carefully

- Slide the plastic case under the right foot peg, perhaps slightly under the frame as well.

That's fine for a quick chain adjustment too.

If I want to work on the front end, I need to get it fully on the plastic case.

Since the bottom of the beer carrier is pretty flimsy, I put a piece of wood over it. I get some extra garden paving stones and pile them up beside the kick stand. I lean the bike to the right, and slide them under the kick stand. I then lean the bike to the left, onto the stones, and this extra height allows me to slide the beer carrier underneath (not easy, as the top board slides around, and I'm too lazy to do something about it :-)

On the other hand, I've seen a mechanic just grab the bottom of one of the front shocks and heave it onto the stand, pivoting on the back wheel.

d.

I angle my bike to the stand at a 45 degree angle, and lift buy the subframe and my legs on the numberplate, and it goes right up, and perfectly straight for me. It was very hard for me at first but now it works awesome.

if you are a bit shorter stand against the side number plate hold the handle bar in one hand and reach down and under the tail and grab the other side of the rim with the other hand then stand up and u will have the bike on your hip. twist and lower onto stand

I know this is a total noob question but I just got a hand-me-down bike stand for my xr250r and I am wondering what the secret is to the bike up on it. The only way I have been able to is by lifting the front end up from the handlebars with me on one side and a friend on another and kicking the stand underneath. I would like to be able to put the bike on the stand by myself.

WHATS THE SECRET?

Got it figured out yet..? For my xr250.. and because it's the "L" model.. I center the stand up near the front of the engine and place my left hand on the handlebar and grab the rear passenger footpeg bracket and lift and roll the bike forward. Then just step on the pedal and lift the whole bike up. :thumbsup:

First, go to the rear fender, then slide your hand underneath it till you find metal (subframe) then pick it up and put it on the stand. Dont pick it up by just the fender or you will bend/rip it up. I dont know how old you are but my rule is, if you cant put your bike on the stand, the bike is to big for you.

Turn the bars to either side, put it in gear, straddle the rear tire, grab tire with one hand and stabalize the bike with the other and lift over onto the stand. Super easy if you are vertically or strength challenged.

It seems a ton easier to squat lift, which is much safer than trying to lift with your back, because you are grabbing a nice low point on the machine and have the ability to lift it to your standing position, much easier than trying to side lift using your knee to kick it over onto a stand....give it a try.

step 1 - pick up triangle

step 2 - insert triangle into reer axle

im waitin for my monacaque stand, or however you spell it, to come in but you could set the bike next to the stand and a slight angle kinda like this /=.. and then lift it up by the subframe and push the rear over the stand with your knee.

My homemade stand is about 3 feet tall, works great for 50s (puts them right at waist level).

Let's just say it is easier getting the XR off the stand than on it, especially by myself.