Sign in to follow this  

07 250sx?

Anyone have any idea when the 2-strokes hit the showroom? Price, ride reports, anything?

talk to a guy who won a glen grand prix today about it and coming off an rmz450 and 4-st for the last 4yrs and loved it..really liked the motor and weight said susp was good and won the expert class by 40-50sec!..watched the race and the bike looked really good..motor sounded awesome

Cool, I'm interested in the 07 250 SX as well. Figure with Honda dropping 2T production I need to start shopping for what might be my last 2T. :thumbsup:

I'm interested in how the new Fork, shock and chasis compare to older KTM's. I had a 2001 300, and have a 04 525.

Its a KTM, so I know the motor will be awesome. :applause:

Its a KTM, so I know the motor will be awesome. :applause:

And also know you'll be afraid of trying out the suspension and handling! :applause:

I'm also curious as to what the changes have done. If they ever get it straightened out I'll look long and hard at one. :thumbsup:

Read the link, seems to be a very impressive bike. :thumbsup: I just need to sell a couple old bikes first.

Read the link, seems to be a very impressive bike. :applause: I just need to sell a couple old bikes first.

I read it, I just don't believe too much until I ride one myself - call me a cynic. So many things are subjective that what feels great to one person may not work for another.

(and I'll never believe Karel Kramer from DR as a source for accurate info on a KTM - they must have pictures of the guy with an altar boy. That would explain his blind eye to known issues)

But it's not just KTM's, the same situation exists with other bikes; it's just that their suspension and handling issues are so well known.

I've got an 04 525SX, so I speak from experience. :thumbsup:

I used to laugh when diehard KTM guys would get all upset about people making comments about the WP suspension... but then they were over at KTM Talk (with about 50,000 others) trying to figure out how to get them to work. :applause:

And I was over there, too! :applause:

Most recently, I've ridden a friend's 05 400EXC. I've read reports about how great they are. I'll agree that the engine is wonderful - I really liked that thing in the woods. But I could never come to terms with the handling. The front seemed to turn in very quickly and then it wanted to stand up after knifing in. The stability, or instability, was scary at anything over mid-3rd gear. And I didn't even know where to start with the suspension. It felt so odd that it confused me.

So, once I start hearing a lot of people singing its praises and see if they still think that after some long term experience, I might try to steal a ride on one.

I really hope they make one I can get along with - I love having choices. But that new sidepanel just doesn't work for me! :ride:

:applause:

I have a 04 KTM 525EXC and I aggree with the handling. I like my YZF and my CR, KX is a little wide feeling but very stable. The 04 KTM is all over the place. Its the best for really tight stuff, but all around I can't ride it without a steering stabilizer.

My favorite bike of all time was my 2002 CDale. It had linkless rear as well, but used ohlins so I know linkless can work, KTM just hasn't gotten it to upto 04. Have not rode a 05 or newer yet. On my CDale the shock laid much flater than the KTM and now for 07 KTM finally changed that, several suspension guys have told them too in the past. The forks are finally twin chamer so that should help as well.

I really want to ride one now. :thumbsup: I've bought 2 KTM's without riding one, so I won't buy another unless I ride it and like it. But so far it seems they are address all the things I did not like about the KTM. Too narrow, too nerous, feels short, blows through the stroke too easy (on EXC's at least). I guess all these things are great for eastern woods, but I live in CA.

If I rode one and fell in love with it, I'd mount a strap toward the rear of the seat to lift the bike onto stands and for dragging out of holes etc. in CC races. I really miss the hand holes on the old YZF's and Husky's. More bikes should come with those.

Sorry, lost my ISP for several days. :lame:

But so far it seems they are address all the things I did not like about the KTM. Too narrow, too nerous, feels short, blows through the stroke too easy (on EXC's at least). I guess all these things are great for eastern woods, but I live in CA.

Trust me, I live in the southeast and it's not good here, either. :bonk: I don't mind the narrow but the rest you can have. :p

I'm just a skeptic when it comes to these topics. I've heard "It's fixed!" so many times only to find out "It's not!" that I prefer to wait until the honeymoon is over and see what people think then.

:thumbsup:

250SX engine + CR250 frame = :thumbsup:

Skip 03 250 sx in a cr250 frame. The 03 had wicked power, they toned it down for 04.

ive owned a 01 380mxc, 03 200sx (most fun do it all bike, of all time), 04 300exc, 01 400mxc, 05 450sx. ive also had an 02 rm250, 03 yz450f.

i currently have a 06 250sx. bone stock, the suspension is better than my previous ktms that had suspension work. the 200sx was close, with revalving.

ive got the clickers where i like them for mx, and its a pleasure to ride on some rough local tracks. im not familiar with most of the jap bikes, so i cant give a comparison.

like someone said earlier, its a personal preference thing. im not a racer or really knowledgable about the different suspensions, but i like mine.

and the power is strong, smooth and revs to the moon without going flat.

I was talking with Jason Chisum (races Pro AMA SuperMoto, used to race MX) anyway he over jumped a 100 foot triple on a new 2006 KTM 250SX and landed in the flat. In the air he thought he was in serious trouble, but the bike soaked it up and he walked away. He is about 6'ish and 165 pounds, I think the suspsension was stock as as friend bought it and said it can't jump, yada, yada, he was trying to show him it could when I found that the motor has a lot more than he expected for a stock bike.

I'd suspect the 07's are even better, but only time will tell.

Like any bike if you get the suspension setup for you weight and riding style it will be worlds better.

Cheers,

The problem with them has been that you can't get the shock set up for big hits and small hack; it's been one or the other. The PDS system has defied a lot of good tuners - ask JW how much work has gone into trying to figure it out.

And the forks have lacked the proper design to offer excellent performance.

Don't take my word for it - there are thousands of posts at KTM Talk to verify this. Heck, some are even ditching the WP forks altogether for the Showa TC's. :p

Like I said, if they can get it figured out I may be on board. I don't mind revalving to get it dialed for me, but up to this point there doesn't seem to have been a solution. Don't want to spend all the coin and never be able to get it dialed - at any price. :lame:

Here's to having another choice. :thumbsup:

exactly!.........and when all the tests come out they say best WP they have ever ridden but make no comparison to kyb or showa's until shootout time, by then everyone's already bought their bike for the year

The problem with them has been that you can't get the shock set up for big hits and small hack; it's been one or the other. The PDS system has defied a lot of good tuners - ask JW how much work has gone into trying to figure it out.

And the forks have lacked the proper design to offer excellent performance.

Don't take my word for it - there are thousands of posts at KTM Talk to verify this. Heck, some are even ditching the WP forks altogether for the Showa TC's. :p

Like I said, if they can get it figured out I may be on board. I don't mind revalving to get it dialed for me, but up to this point there doesn't seem to have been a solution. Don't want to spend all the coin and never be able to get it dialed - at any price. :lame:

Here's to having another choice. :thumbsup:

Can you make the switch too showa's forks ? what about fitting a linkage and running showa shock ?

Can you make the switch too showa's forks ? what about fitting a linkage and running showa shock ?

Yep.

Go to KTM Talk and look through the suspension forum. It's been done and it's not hard. I believe you'll need some thin shim stock between the fork tubes and clamps and it would probably be easier using the front wheel and brake assembly off whatever the donor bike was.

The guys that have done it are all smiles. :thumbsup:

As for the linkage/shock question... I won't say it can't be done but I will say I wouldn't try it! :p

I think the best remedy there would be to let John Curea install their new needle and valving set-up.

:lame: