Sign in to follow this  

Replacement parts question - Interpreting part codes

I am trying to get some replacement parts for my DR650. I am looking at bikebandit.com, but I am confused about part/model numbers. For example, when I search for my particular model year (2000) it says DR650SEY. When I look at the 2001 models, it says DR650SEK1. Are these just year codes or something? Anyway, the real questions come when I look at the specific parts. For example, the plastic headlight housing broke on my bike and I need to get another one. When I look at the diagram picture for the headlight housing, the main plastic housing is noted as part 1-3. In the part description table below the picture, there is no part 1-3, but rather a 3-1...which says discontinued [For CT5]. First of all, how is it the head light housing is discontinued? Other than the color, isn't it the same housing for the next 6 model years? And what does CT5 mean? Right below the discontinued line item there is a part 3-2 (which is not even shown in the diagram picture) and this description says "Cover, Headlamp [For N9J]". So, would this be the part I am looking for? What is N9J?

I guess the bottom line question is, is there a legend or something on these diagrams that I am missing? Or is there a trick to finding out the part numbers?

Thanks.

well let's see....yes the "Y" and "K1" are year codes.. from 76 to present ... ABCNTXZDEFGHJKLMNPRSTVWXY K1 K2 K3 K4 K5 K6....the year code is in the VIN. (10th character)

codes like CT5 and NJ9 are color codes.

no, the headlight housing hasn't been discontinued... bikebandits parts page is messed up and they don't use real suzuki part numbers, they make up their own (don't know why) call any dealer, they should be happy to look up the part and tell you the real story..

Great information! That helps me a lot. Thanks again.

Jeff