Sign in to follow this  

Ride Prep Checklist?

Well I picked up my DRZ a couple weeks ago from another member here. I've been riding around on the street, getting comfortable with the bike.

Tomorrow I am taking it up to an ORV park in the Georgia mountains! :thumbsup:

I used to have a standard checklist when I would take my streetbike to the track. Just wondering what are those one or two items that are a must bring when you go off-road. I have my tool box, gas, and riding gear. Would it be better to carry a spare tube, or a patch kit?

Appreciate any tips you have.

Brian

so you are haulin it.... so tube and dont forget tire irons and bike lift or stand.....now if you were Dualsporting it over thats complicates it. lol

for this trip I am hauling it up. thanks for the tips. I'm gonna get a tube today. Here's a stupid question: Is it the same size tube front and back?

for this trip I am hauling it up. thanks for the tips. I'm gonna get a tube today. Here's a stupid question: Is it the same size tube front and back?

No, the fronts a 21" and the rear is an 18". You can use the front in a rear tire to get you home. Pickup a fender pack to hold the tube :thumbsup:

I carry two regular tubes; a 1/4" rachet with 8,10,12, and 14mm sockets; three shorty tire irons (cut them with the chop saw); a small can of WD40; crecent wrench (also chopsawed); ziploc bag full of talc; good pair of needle nose pliers; valve stem tool; leatherman; and a mountain bike frame pump in the stock S tailbag.

In my backpack I carry jbweld, a small spool of saftey wire and a bicycle tool that has various allen wrenches on it. There is also a generous length of black tape wrapped around one of the straps.

I wander around in the mountains alone alot so I would like to think I could handle most anything I come across. All the junk is overkill if you are going to truck in but still nice to have in case you damage something and want to keep riding.

I carry two regular tubes; a 1/4" rachet with 8,10,12, and 14mm sockets; three shorty tire irons (cut them with the chop saw); a small can of WD40; crecent wrench (also chopsawed); ziploc bag full of talc; good pair of needle nose pliers; valve stem tool; leatherman; and a mountain bike frame pump in the stock S tailbag.

In my backpack I carry jbweld, a small spool of saftey wire and a bicycle tool that has various allen wrenches on it. There is also a generous length of black tape wrapped around one of the straps.

I wander around in the mountains alone alot so I would like to think I could handle most anything I come across. All the junk is overkill if you are going to truck in but still nice to have in case you damage something and want to keep riding.

Nice kit!

I would add a flatpack duct tape, some hose clamps (use the biggest size you need, they will always go smaller), a couple of shop rags (if you wrap your tools in them, they keep them from rattling in your bag, great for wiping the mud off whatever you are working on), extra valve stems, ziplok bag full odf spare common sized screws Vaseline lip balm (vaseline in a tube, makes everything go in smoother), mall tube RTV or silicone.

I have the Suzuki rack & tool box. I moved the tool bag to the front fender and keep all the extra's in there.

seehenry, may I ask what the ziploc bag full of talc is used for?

seehenry, may I ask what the ziploc bag full of talc is used for?

shooting pool :thumbsup:

I normally talc tubes when I install them to keep chafing to a minimum (not that they ever last long enough for chafing to be a problem) and it makes the old tubes easy to remove from the tire (no sticking from soap etc...). I figure if I am going to do a tube on the trail I may as well do it right.

You do however get some funny looks when fishing for tools in the bag and coming up with a bag of white power...everyone probably assumes I hang out with Rick James.

can't forget zip ties, thoes things are life savers

under the pad on my protapers, totally forgot.

Perfect. I add a couple of your suggestions to my pack.

I'm sure a lot of what you bring comes from expirence on the trail. I cannot wait to get out there! Hopefully I am prepared for any thing that comes up.

B

We use a flat preventer gooo in both of our bikes. Havent been stranded with a flat yet..When go go deep in the deseert we carry 2 tubes also, just in case and a tow rope.

True Gooo

Water,cheesies,a beer,beef jerky etc,etc. :thumbsup:

For the DRZ......Fuses are a must. There is one spare in the holder, in not a bad idea to carry more. I have some duct taped to the air box door.