Sign in to follow this  

Servicing after Mods

After doing the free mods does the service interval change at all or do I have to pay attention to anything else in terms of maintenance?

After doing the free mods does the service interval change at all or do I have to pay attention to anything else in terms of maintenance?

No!

Why would cutting a wire that changes timing.

Cutting a screw that prevents full throttle.

Or doing any of the other free mods have anything to do with a maintenance interval?

Just trying to understand your thought process on this one?

I guess if you wanted to get real pickey and talk about the air box mod.

Depending on what and how you do it I guess it could allow more dirt to get to the filter allowing it to get dirty faster. However many guys carry extra filters already oiled with them and just check it and thorw the clean one in if it needs it. Also checking, cleaning and lubing the air filter should be done after each ride anyway imho...

Given factory service intervals of 600 miles and the fact that we hold less than 2 quarts... I think one thing on the list of "mods" should be to change all of the "6"s in the manual to "2"s :thumbsup:

200 trail miles or 10 hours is the max I go.

I didn't know if running the engine on that alternate timming would change any service intervals or wear heavier thats all!!!

i tshould not change anything. like said above just change the oil frequently, and the air filter when dirty. check your valve clearances on occasion. you may need to adjust your jetting when you open up the exhaust and air box.

I didn't know if running the engine on that alternate timming would change any service intervals or wear heavier thats all!!!

The yellow wire or cam timing?

Doesn't really matter, the yellow wire is an emissions add on and without it is how the engine was designed to run.

The cam timing is stock on the yz from the wr so no real issue.

If you were racing any of these bikes to be competitive you would be rebuilding it if not every race like the pros at least every season. Or you would be getting a new bike every season.

Ride that puppy and have fun...

Did they change colors for '06? Always used to be grey.

No you are correct my fault, speak before think sometimes...

No you are correct my fault, speak before think sometimes...

Cool... saw your screen name and wondered if you were color blind as well :thumbsup:

Cool... saw your screen name and wondered if you were color blind as well :thumbsup:

Funny thing is I always want to make that wire yellow until I look it up.

And yes technically I am color blind from that test they give you I can only see the first number. After that it is just a bunch of colors. Sucks...

Cool... saw your screen name and wondered if you were color blind as well :ride:

I can't figure out what Lasik's avatar is?! :thumbsup:

I can't figure out what Lasik's avatar is?! :thumbsup:

It isn't a very good x-ray and I recently had a better newer one done.

You do recall my collarbone injury, yes?

It didn't heal after 3 month and I ended up having a plate and 10 screws put in it with a bone graft from my hip.

The had to cut 2 centimeters of dead bone off of the collarbone as it had started to die.

I may change it to one of the better x-ray's I just had done.

My muscles are constantly tight and right this minute my neck is killing me.

Do you ever read in the Health Section on this forum. I actually had Dr. Mark do the surgery...

It isn't a very good x-ray and I recently had a better newer one done.

You do recall my collarbone injury, yes?

It didn't heal after 3 month and I ended up having a plate and 10 screws put in it with a bone graft from my hip.

The had to cut 2 centimeters of dead bone off of the collarbone as it had started to die.

I may change it to one of the better x-ray's I just had done.

My muscles are constantly tight and right this minute my neck is killing me.

Do you ever read in the Health Section on this forum. I actually had Dr. Mark do the surgery...

Actually no, I must have missed your post about your injury - sorry to hear. Was this injury recent? How did you do it - got a link to your post?

So that is an x-ray of your collar bone, I see, it's hard to make it out... :thumbsup: Get well soon if it's a recent injury :ride:

Actually no, I must have missed your post about your injury - sorry to hear. Was this injury recent? How did you do it - got a link to your post?

So that is an x-ray of your collar bone, I see, it's hard to make it out... :thumbsup: Get well soon if it's a recent injury :ride:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406313 recent one.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392601&page=3&pp=10

Scroll down and this one is my testimony right after surgery.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392601&parentpage=5 At 11 weeks when it hadn't healed.

It happened originally on 4/15 - no healing as of July 5

Had it operated on 7/11 I think.

So it has been 4 months no riding and a lot of muscle atrophy

I have a really pretty scar though...

Sorry to hi-jack the tread. Back on topic.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406313 recent one.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392601&page=3&pp=10

Scroll down and this one is my testimony right after surgery.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392601&parentpage=5 At 11 weeks when it hadn't healed.

It happened originally on 4/15 - no healing as of July 5

Had it operated on 7/11 I think.

So it has been 4 months no riding and a lot of muscle atrophy

I have a really pretty scar though...

Sorry to hi-jack the tread. Back on topic.

Wow, sorry for the misfortune. How did you break it? Was it motorcycle related?

I hope after all that ordeal, you are now on your way to recovery :thumbsup:

Wow, sorry for the misfortune. How did you break it? Was it motorcycle related?

I hope after all that ordeal, you are now on your way to recovery :thumbsup:

I had never felt comfortable on the wr cornering like I did my old yz 2smoker.

I had the stock front tire on, and hadn't raised the forks yet. Now I have.

Anyway coming to a turn I was pretty darn tired and didn't feel I could make a turn and my head got the best of me. I decide to grab a handful of front brake and the front tire washed out from under me. I flew over the bars and landed directly on my shoulder while my body tried bending in half it broke a rib in my back also.

All 210lb of me coming directly down on it and sliding for a bit.

I have taken many a fall over the years and usually can roll. This one happened so fast I just didn't have a chance.

It was my fault, my cardio wasn't what it should have been. I have been working on that hard now.

I was never comfortable with the front end but I also know that when I road that bike agressively as it needs to be it handled fine. So I know it was my laziness that contributed to the accident. My cardio and legs after 6 hours of riding just didn't want to get up on the tank, side of seat etc and I should have been riding a Harley not a dirt bike :ride:

Edit: I have also since set the sag properly.

I had never felt comfortable on the wr cornering like I did my old yz 2smoker.

I had the stock front tire on, and hadn't raised the forks yet. Now I have.

Anyway coming to a turn I was pretty darn tired and didn't feel I could make a turn and my head got the best of me. I decide to grab a handful of front brake and the front tire washed out from under me. I flew over the bars and landed directly on my shoulder while my body tried bending in half it broke a rib in my back also.

All 210lb of me coming directly down on it and sliding for a bit.

I have taken many a fall over the years and usually can roll. This one happened so fast I just didn't have a chance.

It was my fault, my cardio wasn't what it should have been. I have been working on that hard now.

I was never comfortable with the front end but I also know that when I road that bike agressively as it needs to be it handled fine. So I know it was my laziness that contributed to the accident. My cardio and legs after 6 hours of riding just didn't want to get up on the tank, side of seat etc and I should have been riding a Harley not a dirt bike :applause:

Edit: I have also since set the sag properly.

Dang! Collar bone, back and ribs?! :thumbsup::ride:

Get well soon :applause:

Oh yeah, for the original poster - after mods, you should service your bike the same way, that is change your oil & filter often, lube everything as usual, nothing special needed as long as you keep up with the maintenance and do them often. :thumbsup: