Sign in to follow this  

pissed OFFFFFF

When I was at the track today my chain snaped and hit that metal peice under the clutch cable housing :thumbsup: There is a hole there and I lost alot of oil. Can I use JB weld to fix it? Thanks

I have a buddy who used JB weld as a temp fix for this same problem. That was over two years ago and it is still holding strong today!

What kind of chain were you running??

I have a buddy who used JB weld as a temp fix for this same problem. That was over two years ago and it is still holding strong today!

What kind of chain were you running??

It was a moose o-ring chain about 2 year old chain that never strecthed

JB Weld should be an ok fix. i would be a little more worried about where that chunk missing went...

When I was at the track today my chain snaped and hit that metal peice under the clutch cable housing :thumbsup: There is a hole there and I lost alot of oil. Can I use JB weld to fix it? Thanks

weld it up would be best,

any good tig welder should be able to fix it correctly,-----i have done quite afew of these ,

the 250 guys seem to do this alot,---( i get almost one 250 a month :ride: )

you really got to keep a fresh chain on these things,

i wont go more than 2 months on a chain if i am riding alot , 4 months if i am just riding normal , :applause:

weld it up would be best,

any good tig welder should be able to fix it correctly,-----i have done quite afew of these ,

the 250 guys seem to do this alot,---( i get almost one 250 a month :ride: )

you really got to keep a fresh chain on these things,

i wont go more than 2 months on a chain if i am riding alot , 4 months if i am just riding normal , :applause:

tig is the way to go. double check your rear travel and chain tension, i see to much of this from chains being TO TIGHT!! :thumbsup:

The chain was perfect. It never strecthed and I never had to adjust it. Why would it do this?

I think my next chain will be a Regina gold o-ring. What are those sprockets that are suppose to last a long time? Ironman?

If you want to go two years without replacing your next chain, buy a D.I.D 520VM X-ring chain. X-ring chains live twice as long as o-ring chains and ten times longer that conventional chains. The x-ring design does a much better job of containing the factory grease in the links and it also has much less power robbing friction than the traditional o-ring chain.

I have a two year old one on my '04. It is probably time to replace it though.

I wouldnt trust the JB weld m buddy did it on his sons 230 and thought it worked but shortly into there ride found out it was leaking. they made it back ok but I wouldnt take a chance with as little oil as the 450 holds.

My personal preferance on chains for MX is the plain ole' roller chain. Dirt and dust from MX racing (especially dusty or muddy) generally makes it's way in anyway and grinds up the rubber rings. I have had the most stretch from ringed chains.

My personal preferance on chains for MX is the plain ole' roller chain. Dirt and dust from MX racing (especially dusty or muddy) generally makes it's way in anyway and grinds up the rubber rings. I have had the most stretch from ringed chains.

If you want max life, the x-ring is the way to go. I've adjusted my D.I.D 520VM once in two years. Virtually no stretched whatsoever.

Same here, I just replace the sprockets and chain all together at least once per season and call it good. Spray it down with WD-40 after I wash the bike, and spray it with a lube before I ride. :thumbsup:

You go a full year on a standard chain?

Sorry that wasn't clear, when I said once per season that would mean twice per year. I was referring to the summer outdoor season and winter indoor season. It also works out good since I need to change the gearing anyway for the tighter indoor tracks.

You can maximum life out of a Regina Z ring also. I run Ironman front and rear and have 2 years now on them of desert racing.