XR400 fuel filter

I bought a 1996 XR400 about two months ago. Looking through my Clymer manual, I couldn't find any mention of a fuel filter.

Does anyone know if this bike has a filter built into the carb or possibly the fuel tank? If not, can you recommend any good in-line fuel filters? I want to cut a chunk out of the fuel line and insert the filter in the gap. Transparent materials would be preferable so i can monitor flow.

Thanks.

There is no actual "filter" There is just a screen in the petcock or just above in inside the fuel tank. Many guys install filters between the tank and the carb. I'm thinking of doing that after I looked at the bottom of my fuel can. Refilling many times in the desert and other dusty conditions can cause dust to get into your fuel canister which will surely end up in your gas tank eventually

There is no actual "filter" There is just a screen in the petcock or just above in inside the fuel tank. Many guys install filters between the tank and the carb. I'm thinking of doing that after I looked at the bottom of my fuel can. Refilling many times in the desert and other dusty conditions can cause dust to get into your fuel canister which will surely end up in your gas tank eventually

Exactly. Fine mesh screens on the risers coming off the petcock. FWIW, I put an in-line filter on and had nothing but problems with leaks and hose cracks. Changed back to an OEM fuel hose straight to the petcock and have been good to go ever since even with dusty gas:) :ride:?