Sign in to follow this  

Pissed Offfff

When I was at the track today my chain snaped and hit that metal peice under the clutch cable housing :thumbsup: There is a hole there and I lost alot of oil. Can I use JB weld to fix it? Thanks The bike is a CRF450

I've used JB weld to repair holes in my case. I've had no problems and have been running the same case for 2 years like this. No problems at all. Make sure you clean and sand the surface very well.

Suck it up, split the cases, and have it welded. Put a ring set in there too while its apart and crank bearings. Shouldnt be more than 100 in parts and welding.

I was watching the history channel about glues and I was very surprised that our commercial planes are basically glued together. You will have to decide whether you want to check it constantly to make sure the glue stays. Nevertheless, there may come a time when you sell your dirt bike and that becomes a major selling point. If you have it welded, the problem is solved and you can forget about it.

I'd JB Weld it, then if it leaks you could get it welded. BTW, JB Weld is awesome, just don't use it on something you plan on ever taking apart unless you don't mind cutting it. That stuff is strong!

that totaly sucks. same thing happened to a friend of mine at pismo. he just replaced the whole case. must be nice to have $$$$$$$. just fix it right so you don't have any worries down the road. a little xtra money spent now might just save you alot down the road.

it is better to be pissed off, then to be pissed on

Suck it up, split the cases, and have it welded. Put a ring set in there too while its apart and crank bearings. Shouldnt be more than 100 in parts and welding.

Welding may not be the best idea. Case halves are made to sit perfectly flush against one another for the best possible seal, and depending on where the hole is, heat distortion from the welding could affect this mating of the case halves. I don't know about where you live, but around here, you'd pay about $100 to have it welded, Prep work, actual welding, and cleaning, it could take about an hour. Avg. shop rate here is ~$100 an hour.

Welding may not be the best idea. Case halves are made to sit perfectly flush against one another for the best possible seal, and depending on where the hole is, heat distortion from the welding could affect this mating of the case halves. I don't know about where you live, but around here, you'd pay about $100 to have it welded, Prep work, actual welding, and cleaning, it could take about an hour. Avg. shop rate here is ~$100 an hour.

I agree that welding is a bad idea, but JB weld is worse! Try to find a set of cases on ebay maybe.

I agree that welding is a bad idea, but JB weld is worse! Try to find a set of cases on ebay maybe.

Why would you say JB weld is bad? I have it on 2 other parts of my motors and those have been holding up for a long time. I here people use it in the same spot as my hole is to.