Sign in to follow this  

How much longer will 2 strokes in the U.S.?

Dose any one know how much longer two stroke Moto-X bikes will be sold in the U.S.? I am mostly concerned about The Japanese bikes. Are they going to be available in 2007 and 2008? I am in the process of moving to the east- coast from the mid-west and plan to purchase a new 250 after I get settled. I want to make sure they will be available.

they got another 4 years i would say...just enough time until the EFI bugs gets worked out.

This is the last year for the yamaha blaster and banshee but I think the bikes will still be around. I think they have to stay because FMX riders use em.

So when they stop production, will there be a time when it's illegal to ride the ones you already own? Or do you guys think they will just slowly let them die out without enforcing laws that prohibit you to ride them?

So when they stop production, will there be a time when it's illegal to ride the ones you already own? Or do you guys think they will just slowly let them die out without enforcing laws that prohibit you to ride them?

They will probably let them die out slowly. I can't see anyone investing any time trying to bury an already dead format.

But, I bet that companies like KTM and others wth a strong overseas presence will still sell a few.

The aftermarket for them will be very, very strong for years and years.

yeah, and it would probably piss a lot of people off too if they banned them in a little while. I can just see buying a brand new smoker and then having it banned in a few years.

and alot of harescramlbe and FMX guys use them.. and alot of younger guys in the C class of MX and even B will stay on 2-strokes.. i know ill ride 2 stroke for a while.. im waiting for the 144sx to come out and i wanna pick one those up next year.. i just like the feel of 2 strokes sooooo much more.. and no, im not ignorant.. i have ridden both 2 and 4 stroke big bores.

I think they should just clean them up. Two strokes are awesome power plants and you can't replace the simplicity and reliability of a two stroke. I have had 2 and 4 stroke and there is something to be said for both. I just love the throttle, the pull, the flick-ability and the low maintenance of a 2 stroke.

I think they should just clean them up. Two strokes are awesome power plants and you can't replace the simplicity and reliability of a two stroke. I have had 2 and 4 stroke and there is something to be said for both. I just love the throttle, the pull, the flick-ability and the low maintenance of a 2 stroke.

well now 2 strokes have a chance, because of the updated engine size. that's why ktm is coming out with a 144. that bike will be the first fighting chance to keep the smoker alive. good luck to them.

I hope forever, I love 2smokes light flickable easy to maintain and they don't blow up all the time. I'd like a 4stroke but I can't afford it and IMO I like the light weight of a 2stroke better.

KTM and Yamaha will likely carry the pinger torch longer than anyone else.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to find that smaller, currently obscure mfg's (chinese?) might end up making 2-strokes.

don't worry about a ban on 2-strokes on private tracks would be the only place you could legally see that and that won't happen because then they would loose a lot of there market base

right now the 2-stroke will be around for a long long time but when you start to see a bunch of FMX guys switch to 4-strokes permanently then be worried

I have heard rumurs from various people that think the 4-strokes are 99.9% sold because of marketing, not because of the actual pros and cons of the engines. There has recently been a huge technological advancement with the 2 strokes, where they have found ways to reduce the emissions drastically which was the biggest downfall of them. Another one of their downfalls was the fact that premix was required, but the technology has changed and they are making advancements with oil injection. I really don't know what is going to happen 5 years from now, but I think that the 2 strokes might have a chance at a comeback.

This Stihl site shows some of the advancements I am talking about.

http://www.stihl.com/isapi/default.asp?contenturl=/knowhow/producttechnics/stihlengines/2_stroke/default.htm

Don't worry they have twice the power for the same cc's.Once they lift the allowance for a two stroke's to compete against a four stroke's they will be in demand.

I hope forever, I love 2smokes light flickable easy to maintain and they don't blow up all the time. I'd like a 4stroke but I can't afford it and IMO I like the light weight of a 2stroke better.

What are you talking about? 2 stroke top ends blow more often than 4 stroke top ends. :thumbsup:

What are you talking about? 2 stroke top ends blow more often than 4 stroke top ends. :thumbsup:

They do / did...???

This IS news to me.

I rode two strokes from 1974 and on, and NEVER had any issues. None of my friends did either. :ride:

Disagree there. 2 strokes have to have the top ends replaced to work at their best, but the top end does not often blow up.

:ride: If that's your experience then what on earth were you doing to your 2-strokes :applause: