Sign in to follow this  

Is this a problem? HELP

I went off roading today and for the first time didnt wear plugs. On the way back from my ride I noticed a humming noise down by the chain. When I looked down at the chain it seemed to shimmy or shake back and forth but when I would roll off the throttle it would track straight again. Maybe it always did this but I just started to notice. When I got home I cleaned up the bike and took off the counter sprocket cover off and cleaned behind it. Thats where the problem started. It looks like the front sprocket has eatin or pushed or made a groove into the rubber "guide" protector at the 2-3 o clock position. I dont see it rubbing into any metal or making contact with anything other than the rubber guide. Is this normal? I have a pic but dont know how to post them. I am afraid to ride because maybe its not normal.

PM me the pic and i will post it for you. :thumbsup:

I went off roading today and for the first time didnt wear plugs. On the way back from my ride I noticed a humming noise down by the chain. When I looked down at the chain it seemed to shimmy or shake back and forth but when I would roll off the throttle it would track straight again. Maybe it always did this but I just started to notice. When I got home I cleaned up the bike and took off the counter sprocket cover off and cleaned behind it. Thats where the problem started. It looks like the front sprocket has eatin or pushed or made a groove into the rubber "guide" protector at the 2-3 o clock position. I dont see it rubbing into any metal or making contact with anything other than the rubber guide. Is this normal? I have a pic but dont know how to post them. I am afraid to ride because maybe its not normal.

Heres the pic. :thumbsup:http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i298/m22_01/scooter.jpg

First off thanks so to MIKE much for posting the pic and helping out. It just seems that the sprocket has engraved an impression into the guide. Maybe its the job of the rubber part. Maybe I should have never taken it off in the beginning and am worrying about nothing but I thought I better ask before I do damage. Its the stock OEM size sporcket.

Happy to help! :thumbsup:

Mine is a little chewed up but not as much as yours.

Don't know what to tell you, someone will come along with the answer I'm sure. :ride::applause:

I poked around with a screw driver and couldnt real fell too much. I cant even find anything loose or anything. Its wierd.

check and make sure the rubber chain is bolted down good... if its loose, the chain may be pulling the slide forward into the sprocket teeth. That part of the chain slide is of no real use so don't worry about it getting worn just a bit...

I see, so I should check to see if that entire chain guide is loose? Maybe its pulling it forward otherwise just ride. I guess Ill say something to the dealer when it comes to the first service. how about the chain movment? Is that just me again. Now I just checked the general forum and they say the bikes toaste and dont ride it? &%$#@!? NOw I am getting parinoid. I could take it to the dealer on Monday I guess and take it off and have them take a lookie but I want to ride damn it. I should probably wash it first so it looks clean for them so they dont suspect anything.

I see, so I should check to see if that entire chain guide is loose? Maybe its pulling it forward otherwise just ride. I guess Ill say something to the dealer when it comes to the first service. how about the chain movment? Is that just me again. Now I just checked the general forum and they say the bikes toaste and dont ride it? &%$#@!? NOw I am getting parinoid. I could take it to the dealer on Monday I guess and take it off and have them take a lookie but I want to ride damn it. I should probably wash it first so it looks clean for them so they dont suspect anything.

Here is a picture after Scooter996 cleaned up the area around the sprocket.

I don't think your bike is toast! I think some replies are going a little overboard on the general forum. I would

however look it over carefully, which it sounds like you did and maybe have a dealer take a look. In the mean time as long as your bike runs and sounds o.k. and you don't have any excessive vibration you should be able to ride.

Just my opinion from what i can see in the pics and from what I've heard. :thumbsup::ride:http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i298/m22_01/000_0064.jpg

How old is your bike and have you ever taken apart the swingarm mounting and greased it? If the bearings are worn, that could let the swingarm work back and forth and catch the sprocket.

It looks like that black plastic is attached to the head of the swingarm.

Did you bottom out and get that plastic part caught on the sprocket?

Could it be the dreaded CS nut problem? Is the CS nut tight?

Mine is not here to look at right now.

???? Looks fine to me? Is your CS tight? it's normal for the chain to wiggle a bit...How many miles on the bike? your chain guides are going to have to break in...once a groove has burned in the chain should settle down. The people telling you that your bike is toast are idiots!

It has 171 miles, its an 06. The bottoming out maybe but I wasnt jumping dirt or anything. It just seems to me that the sprocket is really close to the metal. Yes the black plaastic is pasrt if that guide. Its a very thick plastic part. Its like the other areas that it protects is more of a rubber but that part wear it grinded away is more of a heavy duty plastic. I noticed this morning when I put the bike on the stand, and how you can sorta push the bike up, are you following me, you can see the chain move freely back and forth through the guide like theres no problem.. O what to do. I am sure Ill get to the dealer and he will say its normal. I would love to see what a new one or even a used one looks like to compare.

Did you put the front sprocket on backwards? My replacement had a lip on it that I believe went towards the engine (it's been a while.)

Tim

A piece of something got in there more than a turn ot two, nothing to worry about, after you take it offroading and have it packed full of mud and gravel, then you will really see what a chewed up guide looks like. It is there "to wear" just check a couple times per season. When and if it finally wears through get another. Check to make sure it is on tightly. A couple of screws hold it to the swing arm, make sure they are snug. Even when it needs to be replaced it is a 5 minute deal. If you can change a light bulb you can change the guide. Getting the sprocket cover off and on is harder. Mine has over 4,000 miles and is chewed up but still good to go!:thumbsup:

Thats what I am starting to think as well. When I got back out to the pavement it seemd to be making some wierd noise but it went away after 100 yards or so. Maybe Ill take it in anyway and have the dealer check the chain and teeth on the sprocket. I dont want to baby the bike to much but I do want to keep it forever and in top condition. How do you change the guide anyways? Is it just the bolts or do I need extra room by needing to take the sprocket off?

do I need extra room by needing to take the sprocket off?

yep, just remove the front sprocket to gain the room needed. just so you know the phillips head screws holding the guide will probably get stripped. i replaced mine with allen head screws.

i've had to replace my stock guide once and now the "new" one broke right there :thumbsup: still works though.

dont forget to locktight the front sprocket after removing it. :ride:

Something must have been wedged in there. The more and more I look at it and think about it. There sure doesnt look like theres alot of room in there between the top of the sprocket tooth and the swing arm area though. Hope I didnt damage the chain or sprocket.. Everything looks ok though.

being that the bike is new you need to grease the swingarm, linkage, and steering head bearings....this will be a good end of season project for you and it will show you how everthing is put together.