Sign in to follow this  

horspower ttr 125 vs yz 85

crrider491, how many times did you need to post that? Isn't the TTR125 8hp stock?

Yep the stock hp is about 7.5-7.9(ish) depending on what dyno you use air temps, whether it's jetted right etc. But still nothing compard to a stock yz85.

The TTR is nothing when compared to the YZ85. I had a TTR125 and now that I look back on it I would be a better rider on my 250F if I had a 85.

Its not the HP that makes somehting faster than another, its the power/weight ratio....but thats not what this thread is about. But my point is, that the hp isn't that important about 2 simular bikes.

I guess its a legit newb question....

The TTR is nothing when compared to the YZ85. I had a TTR125 and now that I look back on it I would be a better rider on my 250F if I had a 85.

You would be a better rider, if you were a better rider. Don't blame the bike. Actually, the TTR teaches you how to ride fast. Since you are one a slower bike, you have to learn how to ride the wheels off it to keep up with faster bikes. I beat all kinds of bikes on my TTR, because when they are braking into a corner and taking outside lines, I'm pinning it and taking inside lines. Or if they are stopping on an inside rut, I'm railing the outside around them. More importantly, I'm a slow rider. Just mid pack. But that means, that I can beat at least 1/2 of the riders out there and have fun doing it. I just don't ride on tracks that faster riders ride on. There's no way in h*ll, I'm doing a 80 foot triple at my age on a TTR (even if it or I could). If you're slow, you're slow. Just accept it and be happy. There's only so many pros and I ain't one of them and all the practice and nice new bikes in the world is not going to change that. :applause:

I'm NOT trying to burn you, I just know so many people who new after new bike, thinking, "OK, this is the one." Then whine and complain, "this bikes sucks." Then they end up on a bike they had six bikes ago. :ride: I just think, rinding should be a fun thing. :thumbsup:

socalxr is sooo right on. If you aren't fast on a slow bike, all a faster bike will do for you is make you shut off sooner. A few months back, Dirt Rider did an article where Ryan Hughes raced one of the editors. They both started out on 450s, then Ryno dropped down to a 125, then an 85, and finally to a DRZ125, with the editor still on the 450. Ryno won every race. It's all about skill and talent. Learn to ride, and practice, practice, practice. If you can learn to make good laps times on a slow bike, you'll be a better rider on any bike.

I used to be a mid-pack B class rider. Now that I'm old and slow, I'm a back-of-the-pack C class rider. But I still have fun... :thumbsup:

i used to barely beat, but still beat my friends xr400 with my drz we would get timed on this little track through the woods sooo im with socalxr also

Well said socalxr and chokey.

I see it all time where guys will say I need more this, and more of that, and what they really need is more practice and more confindence.

Yeah, I've had some of my buddy's riding riding 85's do a lot better than I thought they would against a my 250f...so it's all about how comfortable you are on your bike and how much of the bike you can use. Back to oldbird's question though, there is no doubt about the yz85 being a faster and probably lighter bike. I've ridden the ttr125 though and it feels like a good little trail bike....it surprised me it only has about 8hp though...I would have guessed somewhere around 12 or something, but you can probably get it close to that if it's tuned right and has some mods.

Yeah, I've had some of my buddy's riding riding 85's do a lot better than I thought they would against a my 250f...so it's all about how comfortable you are on your bike and how much of the bike you can use. Back to oldbird's question though, there is no doubt about the yz85 being a faster and probably lighter bike. I've ridden the ttr125 though and it feels like a good little trail bike....it surprised me it only has about 8hp though...I would have guessed somewhere around 12 or something, but you can probably get it close to that if it's tuned right and has some mods.

My son started on a TTr-125. Rode it for a year then we traded it in on a YZ-85 (and my TT-R250 I had to ride with him for a YZ250 2-stroke for me). At first I could run and hide from him; but now I really have to ride harder than I care to (at 47 I don't bounce like I used to and I need to be at work on Mondays...) to keep up with him.

I think having the TT-R was a good first bike because 1). it didn't intimidate him like starting on the YZ would have. 2). It did teach him to ride the bike at its limits so he was ready to tackle the YZ.

the reason i was asking is that this is my sons first bike and the way he is riding is starting to scare me and with 8 horsepower i think i will be a wreck watching him on a stonger bike i have been riding on the street for about 20 years but this dirt riding scares me and thats cause sunday i picked my hayabusa to 160 mph

I think dirt is safer than street. On the street you have to worry about road rash, and other motorist completly running you over.

I think dirt is safer than street. On the street you have to worry about road rash, and other motorist completly running you over.

356 is right..... but whats new? :thumbsup: