Sign in to follow this  

Please look at pic and decide

i wouldn't ride it. i'd get that fixed before you destroy your bike anymore.

i wouldn't ride it. i'd get that fixed before you destroy your bike anymore.

i 2nd that :thumbsup:

That is FAR from normal. I'd load that bike into the truck and take it to your local dealer. DO NOT ride that bike until you get this fixed!!!!

It looks like the motor is not where it is supposed to be, like cracked motor mount point or bolts fell out. Motor might be turned to the left.

I wouldn't ride it, look like a too big of a front sprocket even though it is OEM, maybe its all messed up from factory, and large chain...where's you're case saver?!

Alls I did was take off the counter shaft sprcket cover. Are you guys seriuos that there is really alot of damage? Now I am freaking out. When it rides its smooth and fine no grinding or anything? The DRZ guys says its normal wear on the chain guide? Theres alot of grease and stuff in there thought.""check and make sure the rubber chain is bolted down good... if its loose, the chain may be pulling the slide forward into the sprocket teeth. That part of the chain slide is of no real use so don't worry about it getting worn just a bit... Is it more than this? If the damage was terrible would the bike even run? Where else can I look for the damage? Mounting bolts etc? I am a neewbie to dirt bikes. Always road street until know so be gentle on me.

It looks like the sproket is to big , check ALL the mount bolts to confirm there are in place even if they are take it to a dealer to check it out as i dont think it is normal :thumbsup:

I don't know too much about bikes, but here's my 2 cents. Rear tire balanced? Chain too tight? From the pic it looks like the sprocket is tilted, causing it to dig into the rubber, but I can't be sure. Also, is the rubber piece where it's supposed to be? Or did it move?

ye i had this happen with my bike and i was like well ill ride for a bit more till my sproket ripped it off my bike staled and i hit my :thumbsup: nuts off the gas cap i just bought a new rubber peice and it was all good cuz mine got streched

kyle :ride:

I think its where its supposed to be. I guess Ill just wait till the dealer opens. I just cant tell. The guide definitely did not slip. I doulbe checked that. The sprocket is the proper size for the DRZ 400. Its brand new. I did check the chain slack as well. When I push the bike and listne next to it it sounds alright as welll. I guess since it only has 170 miles on it the warranty will kick in, if anythings wrong. It just really seems weird. Everything is torque down. DAMNIT and its supposed to be nice tomorrow as well.

Can you post a better pic? The angle is not good. Is it just me or does it look like a tooth is broken off the counter sprocket? And what is the object between the two teeth on the sprocket?

Basically the sprocket has worked its way into the chain guide and I think I am over reacting. Well that was until I posted the pic. Now I may have opened up a can of worms. All sprocket teeth are there. the other DRZ400 guy said that wear on the chain guide is normal but mine just looks abit more like abnormal. Ill just park it till I can be safe I guess. my Ducati used to eat up chain guides as well.

I will ask you agian, where is you're case saver? Don't even look like it would fit on their with the chain and sprocket, yet I see holes for it.

I think its where its supposed to be. I guess Ill just wait till the dealer opens. I just cant tell. The guide definitely did not slip. I doulbe checked that. The sprocket is the proper size for the DRZ 400. Its brand new. I did check the chain slack as well. When I push the bike and listne next to it it sounds alright as welll. I guess since it only has 170 miles on it the warranty will kick in, if anythings wrong. It just really seems weird. Everything is torque down. DAMNIT and its supposed to be nice tomorrow as well.

Buddy, there is a serious problem with that bike. Not only are you tearing your countershaft sprocket up, you are also destroying your chain slider!!! TAKE IT TO THE DEALER!!!! If your dealer says this is normal, he's on glue!!!(or smoking something really powerful), so take it to a different dealer!!>

Replacing the 15 tooth sprocket with a 14 tooth sprocket would alleviate all or most of the problem plus make the gearing more trail friendly.