Sign in to follow this  

Just putting back together my rebuilt 88' XR80 and have some problems.

When i pull the throttle right back quickly it bogs.

And also the engine is making a tapping sound, ive checked and adjusted the valve clearences and i dont know what else it could be.

I will have pics of the bike up in a few days im pretty pleased with it.

For the bogging, the choke could be on but im assuming that you checked that. On the throttle thing... Does it bog when you are in nuetral and crack open the throttle?

Thanks for the reply. Ive been out playing with the choke. If i have the choke on, the bike just dies. If I have the choke off it bogs under quick throttle in any gear or neutral.

But.. if i have the choke inbetween both of them, its runs great!

Seems pretty weird?

Also im still getting a tapping sound from the engine?

Thanks

Without knowing what you've done to the engine [can you clarify rebuild?] or actually hearing the noise, all I can do is take a guess.

1) If the bike runs when the choke is 1/2 on then it sounds like you have a plugged or partial plugged carb jet or improperly adjusted fuel screw.

2) tapping noise may be caused by improperly tightend timing chain [loose]

or perhaps the piston is touching a head gasket that shifted slightly as you were putting the engine back together.

Thanks for the help!

I havent actually rebuilt the engine just adjusted the valve clearances. I thought the cam chain was self tightening/adjusting on these engines?

The carb is clean throughout, so it must be the badly adjusted fuel screw.

When you say the carb has been cleaned, does that mean you shot carb cleaner all over it and through the jets or did you use compressed air????? If you didn't use compressed air, take it apart again a blow compressed air through the pilot.

Also, are you snapping the throttle?? If you are, you can't. you need to roll the throttle.