Sign in to follow this  

04 te Hall's Carb fix

Does anyone have info on Hall's carb rework. I've heard it mentioned on the site but haven't heard of the details. I just bought an 04 510 and would like have the mikuni dialed in and heard that was the solution.

The Hall's fix was not a fix for my 510. From the start in 04, the Mikuni caused me grief and attempted to kill me on more than 1 occasion.

The sympton was a "pop" and then the motor would die after typically a downhill idling turn followed by a quick snap open of the throttle. A good partial fix was the addition of a Rekluse Z-Start clutch which took all load off the engine below 3000 rpm.

I know a lot of guys on TT have had no problems and others have done a little jetting work and fixed it.

I tried the AP timing, and then sent it of to Hall's with $100. It came back basically un-useable. Several phone calls to Jay Hall and much tweaking got it back to what it was pre-$100 spent but no better.

I have a new FCR that will be installed in the next few days. I have always considered this bike to be damn near perfect IMHO with the exception of the Mikuni.

I love my 510. Good luck with yours.

I have never had a problem with the Mikuni on my '04 510. Always ran good. I run a 185 main and have the A/P preload set to zero. That will cure the stalling problems. Do a search for A/P preload to zero and you will see how to do it. Then if you have problems think about maybe going to halls? Personally I think it is a waste of Money. they are just dandy. Run the two air tubes out of the carb that come up out of it to the airbox. You can get dust into the float bowl with the them hanging down. leave the two that go down going down. There have beensome problems with the clutch basket rivits. To check pull the clutch basket and inspect the rivets on the front and back side. If you see any scoring, drill 'em out and replace them. Or get a new basket. I had two break and there is a recent thread of a guy who had one break and the debris screwed up his tranny big time.

IF you are at seal level up to say maybe 3000 feet you could probably run a 190 or 195 main. Especially in the colder seasons.

Did you buy it used? If so how used and how much? Just curious.

Thanks for all the input guys, its greatly appreciated. I've found a lot of tweaks and now got some great advice. Still not sure exactly where to make my starting reference point, heres what I'm thinking:

1) Zero out the acc. pump. and see what that does

2) Heres where I get a little confused!

A)Leave stock main jet and needle and play with the pilot since most the problems are off the bottom?

:thumbsup: Change main jet and pilot ?

C) Change needle? I hear a lot of talk about the10f01-50 needle.

I know all effect the other but not sure what the logical order of sorting out the mikuni should be. I'm outside of Portland OR and the eleveation is probably 500 feet or so. I ride up in the mountains and I'm sure 90% of the time will be under 3000 feet. Thanks again for all the help!

Yeah, bought it used very nice shape but was too much for the guy so he hardly rode it, he also had a 400exc which he felt more comfortable on. Paid $3750

I ride int he same areas as you (I'm guessing you live in Vancouver WA?) and run my Mikuni 100% stock and it runs great, always has. So the jetting is not the issue the AP is. Adjust it using the info here on TT and work it until you get rid of the issue. Make sure your valves are in spec.

Hey Ride,

Thanks for the input, I'm going to try to tear into it this week. I'm in Camas by Lacamas lake. Where are you at ? We'll have to hook up and ride. I'm waiting for a helmet and boots to come in from ebay. I also need to order a knee brace. I tore my ACL in my left knee at the first of the year and have been rehabbing it with physical therapy for months so I'll probably have to be a bit cautious when riding for a while. My wife thinks I'm crazy that I bought an offroad bike, she knows I'm going to rack my knee again.....I'd like to think I can prove her wrong .

Hey Ride,

Thanks for the input, I'm going to try to tear into it this week. I'm in Camas by Lacamas lake. Where are you at ? We'll have to hook up and ride. I'm waiting for a helmet and boots to come in from ebay. I also need to order a knee brace. I tore my ACL in my left knee at the first of the year and have been rehabbing it with physical therapy for months so I'll probably have to be a bit cautious when riding for a while. My wife thinks I'm crazy that I bought an offroad bike, she knows I'm going to rack my knee again.....I'd like to think I can prove her wrong .

Get a pair of Astericks. Best $550 you will ever spend. I wear mine skiing also.

Thanks for the knee brace advice I was thinking Asterick or EVS on of the two. Good to know it's good for skiing as well.

Hey Ride,

I'm in Vancouver WA. I toasted my left ACL at the beginning of the summer as well. I have been doing therapy several times a week by riding my dirt bike :thumbsup: Did several hours of "therapy" yesterday at Washougal MX. FUN!

And people think motorcycling is expensive therapy, try physical therapy at $145 an hour. Makes motorcycling look like a bargain.