Sign in to follow this  

hard starting 05

i have an 05 crf, recently...since the summer weather my bike seams a little hard to start when cold. the first start of the day i usually turn on the fuel, pull the choke and kick it over. well it will turn over and run for a split second then stall almost as if i had given it some throttle it would be fine. it seems if i pull in the hot start it will start right up. so im thinking maybe my mixture screw is too rich? since the hot start lets in alot more air, letting it start i would say that maybe im too rich on the mixture screw to start with out the hot start. i had the head rebuilt over the winter and set it up in the spring and it was fine. unfortunately i havent had much time to ride. now that the weather has changed maybe my carb needs to be tweaked for the hot weather.

any advise would be appreciated

Check Your Jets, Pilot And Main, Go Leaner

Check Your Jets, Pilot And Main, Go Leaner And Check Your Valves

If youre not adjusting the fuel screw I can guarantee its not right. Get a good hand adjustable screw and learn to use it. If it ran fine in the spring, its too rich in the summer. I can tell the difference from the moring to the afternoon, let alone spring to summer...

If youre not adjusting the fuel screw I can guarantee its not right. Get a good hand adjustable screw and learn to use it. If it ran fine in the spring, its too rich in the summer. I can tell the difference from the moring to the afternoon, let alone spring to summer...

"that's some pretty good information there tater"

i have a hand adjustable mixture screw. thanks for the info guys thats what i figured i needed to do, just wanted to make sure.

quick question, i just put a new top end in my crf and i checked the valve clearance after it was all back together. the intake was .005in on both sides(spec is .0063) which is pretty much with the spec range and exhaust was .018 on the right and .020 on the left. by my calculations (and i may be wrong this is the first time im doing my valves on my own) the .018 is right at the border of being out of spec and the .020 is just a touch out of spec. would this affect my performance greatly?