Sign in to follow this  

Mikuni pumper jet question

I just bought one online. I think I got a pretty good deal on it. 228.00 shipped to my door. It's used, but apparantly never installed. It is complete with the throttle cables, etc.

If I need to rejet, will jets be hard to find for it? Or are they identical from carb to carb? Also, is it a pretty easy install or??

I do have the service manual, but I haven't done much motorcycle work. Yet! :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Is it the TM36-50?

If it was never installed, it can't really be considered used can it?, unless the person you bought it from bought it used but never installed it. If it's the XRs Only carb with the bell housings they machine for the XR already on it and it's in good shape, you got a deal.

When you get it, take the float bowl off of it and remove the jets to see what their sizes are, then let us know, also need the elevation you'll be riding at. Also check the float level setting and needle clip position. There's lots of discussion here on setting the pumper. Do a search.

This is the tuning manual to use for it:

http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/hs40_manual.pdf

Any dealer/shop should have the jets, should you need something different that what's in it already.

Ease of install: well, it's not as easy as the stock carb. You want to be sure you get it set up right the first time because pulling the carb for any reason takes longer than the stocker did. I could have it out in 5 minutes. It's the way the throttle cables mount to the carb that make the Mikuni more difficult and time consuming, but the carb does fit ok, granted, there's not much clearance at places.

Trailryder42, thanks for the PDF file. It's nice to have an electronic copy! I've got a pumper in the box waiting for install. My engines down for a 430 rebuild and I'm looking forward to re-assembly. :thumbsup: