Which new 250 2 stroke to BUY??????

What do you think is the best of the 4 Japanese bikes off the show room floor and why? I plan to buy a new one in a couple months. Right now I am leaning toward the Honda 250 but I have been told Suzuki is really good and quick turning. I was also told by a Kawasaki rider that he did not like his rear suspension. Don't know any one with a YZ.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

suzuki id say, however europe has far better 250 2-strokes, ala yamaha and ktm, both great 250 smokers, the ktm is the clear winner in the power category and this year the suspension is getting a major overhaul!

I have herd to many horror stories from the one guy I know that has a couple KTMs. I want to stay with the Jap. models.

The specs on the '07 250SX sound awesome: 210 pounds dry, 51 hp, all-new much stiffer frame, all new ultra-compact engine that's nearly the same size as the previous generation 125 engine, twin chamber forks with 51mm tubes and DLC coating, new shock geometry that should finally fix the rising-rate woes of the previous design, low-boy gas tank for better mass centralization...sounds like a 450F killer. I guess we'll have to wait and see if it delivers on the promise.

i herd ktms have bad handling.
You've been reading too much MXA. KTMs don't handle bad, they just feel different than a Japanese bike. With a little seat time, you get completely used to them. Their only real weakness in recent years has been suspension. From the looks of things, they are pulling out the whole bag-o-tricks this year in an attempt to close the suspension gap with the Japanese companies.

the kx250 is exactly the same as the 2006 model, which is almost exactly the same as the 2005 model, as a general rule of thumb nowadays the only people who give a flying **** about smokers are yamaha, and ktm, with ktm putting the most R&D into them.

I "heard" the 07 ktm 250sx, and 450SXF have stellar handling almost on par with the yami, and considering power is everything in the 250 class, id be willing to sacrifice the handling of the yami for the hard-on power of the ktm ... ?

What do you think is the best of the 4 Japanese bikes off the show room floor and why? I plan to buy a new one in a couple months. Right now I am leaning toward the Honda 250f but I have been told Suzuki is really good and quick turning. I was also told by a Kawasaki rider that he did not like his rear suspension. Don't know any one with a YZ.

The 250f is a four stroke. If you are considering the '07 CR 250 (two stroke), then you might as well find a left over '06 CR 250 and try to save some money by buying last years model. The only change on the '07 CR 250 is bold new graphics, so you would still be buying last years model, even if you payed this years price.

The 250f is a four stroke. If you are considering the '07 CR 250 (two stroke), then you might as well find a left over '06 CR 250 and try to save some money by buying last years model. The only change on the '07 CR 250 is bold new graphics, so you would still be buying last years model, even if you payed this years price.

ha ha i noticed that too. ?

but ya, the 07 honda two-strokes all have been vertualy unchanged(besides graphics)

I love it when kids get on here and regurgitate what they read in the mags. Heck, the mags even regurgitate what they say every year. Yamaha and KTM are the only 2 companies upgrading the 2 strokes. I could care less what YOU buy, but it's all KTM for me.

You can't beat the YZ or RM, I'd say they are neck-and-neck from all the reviews I have read. I'm biased because I ride a YZ. But honestly, I can't imagine a better two-stroke bike. Best two-stroke engine I've ever ridden. The suspension on the 06 is way better than the 05 that I'm on, and the 05 aint bad. The bike is bullet proof, and comes out of the box with some nice quality upgrades.

You want more proof, go to the Yamaha two-stroke forum. Everyone on there absolutely loves their 06 250s. You can't find anyone who will say one bad thing. OK, so the chain isn't that great, but that's about it. Everything else is rock solid. You won't be disappointed with a new YZ. No doubt about it. Just make sure you are ready, it's one hell of a bike.

Read for yourself.

I bought the 06 yz 250. The engine is incredible. You wont have to spend a dime on it i fyou dont want to.

The aluminum frame will look good and perform well for years. The suspension is wonderful for almost everyone right out of the box. You can also find 06's all over for huge discounts.

Honds wants an arm and a leg for their cr 250. They made so few of them that the price seams to be way up there. I also dont care for the engine in the cr 250.

The kawasaki is basically the 2005. No problem with that . I just dont liek paying 07 prices for it.

The new ktm looks interesting. I think its going to be really light.

Resale is what sold me on the yz 250. They appear to hold their value two or three years down the line. The rm's dont. If I was keeping the bike forever this would be no big deal.

By the way, the stock yz chain worked well for me. I took it off before starting the bike and set it on the shelf. I use it to keep my owners manual from blowing away. It appears to be strong enough for this task.