Sign in to follow this  

How do you clean aluminum hubs?

I recently bought a second set of DRZ wheels and want to clean them up a bit. The wheels are in good shape except for a brown discoloration of the aluminum hubs. Perhaps they've been sitting outside awhile. Aluminum doesn't rust, right?

Is there an easy way to clean them up? :thumbsup:

aluminum won't rust. sometimes i use the spray on, foaming wheel cleaner for cars. it foams up and almost does all the work for you.

Are you refering to aluminum wheel cleaner specifically, or the foaming tire stuff like NoTouch?

Thanks!

Try aluminum polish or Mothers mag wheel polish if the sutff does not wash away. Takes a little elbow grease but it works well for me.

Aluminum does not rust but it can get pitted by salt (road salt or simply when riding by the sea). Once pitted, it's like chrome: gone!!!

If it had a clear coat from the factory, the foam should get any dirt and grunge off.

Use brake dust cleaner, same thing as the foaming stuff, The good kind has 2 parts, a cleaner and a neutralizer. That way it doesn't eat your wheels.

If they are bare aluminum and they are unlaced, you can polish them the old school way. Sand them with 1200 grit and get all the oxidation off, Yes, aluminum oxidizes (Rust is steel oxidizing). It can vary from white to brown depending on the alloy.

After you have sanded all the oxidation off, put a buffing wheel in your drill and rub them out with rubbing compound. #7 works well. Then clean out your buffing wheel by buffing the end of a screwdriver with it. It will get all the hard chunks of compound off. Buff them again with a good carnuaba wax.

Get the wax residue off with alcohol and then clearcoat them. They shouldn't get the grunge on them again.

If they are laced up, try the wheel cleaner and give up. There are also some bright metal cleaners out there that work.

If it had a clear coat from the factory, the foam should get any dirt and grunge off.

Use brake dust cleaner, same thing as the foaming stuff, The good kind has 2 parts, a cleaner and a neutralizer. That way it doesn't eat your wheels.

If they are bare aluminum and they are unlaced, you can polish them the old school way. Sand them with 1200 grit and get all the oxidation off, Yes, aluminum oxidizes (Rust is steel oxidizing). It can vary from white to brown depending on the alloy.

After you have sanded all the oxidation off, put a buffing wheel in your drill and rub them out with rubbing compound. #7 works well. Then clean out your buffing wheel by buffing the end of a screwdriver with it. It will get all the hard chunks of compound off. Buff them again with a good carnuaba wax.

Get the wax residue off with alcohol and then clearcoat them. They shouldn't get the grunge on them again.

If they are laced up, try the wheel cleaner and give up. There are also some bright metal cleaners out there that work.

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to save this one for future use. They are 02 stock DRZ hubs. Unfortunately, they are laced and I am not in a position to re-lace and true them.

I think I'll try the brake dust cleaner. Does anyone know if DRZ hubs have a clear coat?

Great ideas guys, keep em coming!

Later...

I just cleaned mine today... used orange citric cleanser with a rag which I rinsed in plain water as it got dirty. Worked great!

Does anyone know if DRZ hubs have a clear coat?

I don't think they do but the previous owner may have clearcoted them.

To be sure put a little aluminum polish on a rag and rub on the part. If the aluminum is bare, the polish will instantly turn black on the rag and part-that's from removing the oxydation from the bare aluminum.