Sign in to follow this  

Excel rims vs. anodized rims.

I cracked my rear rim so I had to get a new one. I have ordered a black excel rim and sent my stock spokes/hubs off to get laced/trued on the excel. Nothing was wrong with my front but I figured I would get the front anodized to match the color of the back.

Anyone know how a black anodized stock rim will look compared to a black excel rim? WIll the colors be close enough so that it won't stand out? I know the back will have the excel logo and the front won't but that doesn't bother me.

I could have just went with the front excel for ~$55 more but I hate to waste a perfectly good front rim.

I still have time to change my mind.

Id go for the front excel rim too, that way there will be no color difference and your front rim probabally has small dents and flat spots in it they all get that way over time so i would just go with a full fresh set.

Do you know for sure that there will be a color difference??? I do not want them to not match. I would happily spend the extra $$$.

I cant say for sure but i would be almost positive that they would not be exactally the same since different companies have different methods. Plus i would not waste money prettying up a stock rim when for a little extra $$ you can have a much lighter, stronger and more durable rim, plus when you sell the bike it would be more attractive to have a full set of EXCELs than just one and one anodized. AND while your wheel is torn down you might as well replace the rim.

Just my 2 cents

Thank you for your opinion yz. I will call on Monday and talk with the company to see what they say. On their website they state this:

We use the same steps that Excel* uses in their anodizing process

so I was hoping it would be identical. I did ask last week and he said it would look the same except for the logo. I'll call again to double check.

Are you using TCR wheel lacing? Ive heard they do really nice work. If you dicide to go the anodizing route, let me know how it turns out i thought of having some rims anodized a few months ago, but decided not to because it wasnt in my budget at that moment.

Are you using TCR wheel lacing? Ive heard they do really nice work. If you dicide to go the anodizing route, let me know how it turns out i thought of having some rims anodized a few months ago, but decided not to because it wasnt in my budget at that moment.

No I went with RTR Wheel Lacing. They were a littel cheaper and alot closer to me so I should have less turn around time.

Anyone heard good/bad about them?