Sign in to follow this  

99 xr 400 55W. bulb?

Yes. But I don't remember where or have a part #, as it's been so long since I put one in. That was before I rewound my stator so I could run a 100w halogen and the upgraded glass lens assembly.

The most a stock XR stator can handle is a 35W bulb... Anything over that will strain the system and not light up fully... I just delt with this fact on my brothers bike...

i was able to purchase the glass lens and 55w bulb combo thru thumpertalk if i remember correctly. i think it was 50.00.

it brightens things up for a safer ride back to camp or home after a long day in the woods. it only dims when the break or blinkers are applied, then light back up again.

eventually i might have to go with the whole dualsport kit, but for now i get away with hand signals and a baja designs brake switch. 5 to 10 min. from the house to the trails.

do a search if u need more info . also give tt a call and they can look it right up for ya.

The stock stator is rated at 80w. The tail lamp is 4w. Add 55w to that and you're still well below the rated figure. It might dim at idle but so what.

Last Thanksgiving the group was planing a night ride and I knew the stock 35w light was not going to cut it so last minute I went to the auto part store and bought a 55w H3 bulb and put it in as a temporary fix until I got the glass lens. It works OK. It does dim at idle. It has been that way for 9 months now.

I am planning on rewinding the stator, glass lens and a 75w bulb in the near future. Maybe for this Thanksgiving trip