Sign in to follow this  

Is 10,000 miles a lot of miles for a DR?

I have the opportunity to buy a 2001 DR 650 with just under 10000 miles on it. I know that the obvious answer is "IT DEPENDS" but I know the bike has been cared for with the oil changed regularly and the services done properly.

Assume that it has had general care and you it has been on the track twice and has some motard miles put on it and has the usual scratches etc for an off road bike with 10000 miles on it. It has been ridden by a guy who takes care of his bikes but also rides them. IS THIS TOO MANY MILES?

The bike comes with the following:

-17” Supermoto wheels. 3.5 Front/ 4.25 Rear Excel rims laced to stock hubs

-K&N Air Filter, 3x3 cut to airbox, snorkel removed

-Dynojet kit installed, drilled slide for better throttle response

-(+2) gearing in rear, newish DID Gold chain

-Supertrapp IDS2 exhaust

-Suzuki gel seat

-Aluminum Suzuki skid plate

-Galfer SS Front brake line

-CA emissions crap pulled and plugged

-Clarke 3.7 gallon plastic fuel tank

-SRC fork brace and mud guards

-KTM Duke II mirrors

-DRZ 250 tail light

-Acerbis hand guards

-everything heavy and useless removed (passenger pegs, “tool kit”, grab rails, etc)

Owner is asking for $2700 bike with dirt wheels and rotors

$900 Supermoto wheels and tires (no rotors)

$3500 package

What ya think???

Currently has the street set up on it but he will put on the dirt tires to sell it.

RC

The short answer is no, 10K miles is not a lot for this engine (with regular servicing), as it is a bulletproof motor that does huge miles between rebuilds. Some guys have done 50K + on original bores/piston, and to me that's an impressive mileage for a air cooled single. And anyway, Jesse sells a hi-comp piston kit for this motor for less than $200, and the bottom end seems to have an un-burstable reputation. I wouldn't give that mileage a second thought. More important is how well it's been looked after. Oh and BTW, the 2001 model (and several other model years) can suffer from a bad fibre base gasket which can spring a leak. A lot of guys have either had them leak, and replaced with a newer metal gasket, or others have siliconed up the leak with O.K results. Others are still going strong with no leaks to-date - luck of the draw. May pay to check whether it's had it's gasket done yet, if not use it as a bargaining chip to drive the purchase price down some more.

This is a tough one. I think 10K is no problem for the DR as I have 8K on mine and it runs like new. I would look at it from two perspectives:

1) Is all the stuff he did to it (motard) something that you would've done? Is that the type of bike you are after?

2) How long would it take you to rack up 10K mles? For me, its about a year. When I bought my bike (used), it had about one month used up (1K miles) so, roughly, it would last about a month less than a new one for 2K$ less.

I see you live in CA....is that gonna matter that he took off all the emission stuff?

What are your other choices in your market? You might wanna check the dealers because they are clearing out the '06's for good prices.

Summary....10K mi is OK...it may or may not be a deal depending on whats available.

PS: What do the KTM mirrors look like? Do they give a better (wider) view behind you?

I put 8800 miles on mine in the first 9 months I owned my 2005. It would have 10k now if it wasn't in AZ. I ride about 50% off pavement but I don't jump, blast the throttle much and my engine is stock. My bike has only a few scratches and has only been dropped over(a lot) never crashed. Runs perfect and has only needed two sets of tires, oil and filter,adjustments, and chain cleaned/oiled. Chain has actually never needed adjustment and neither have the valves.

On used bikes I give a large negative to engine mods and age. If this bike looks like it has seen a lot of off road use, 10,000 could be a lot of mileage. Been to the track isn't so great either. $2700 is probably at or above blue book retail. The base gasket if not fixed is a $700 job if done by a dealer. Wearing out a stock chain in under 10k indictates abuse in my book. Keep in mind that full retail blue book on a 2005 is $3775 and dropping. Most will have few miles and haven't been wrenched or raced.

GREAT FLAMING TURDS! IF YOU DON'T BUY THE WHOLE THING THEN I WILL !

Prices in our area are nutz but even so it sounds like a not bad price at all for all that has been done to it.

And 10000 miles is just nicely broken in.

That sounds like a deal to me. If you have never tried the supermoto thing but are interested in it, get the bike. Unless you hate leaning in turns then don't bother. Or only do off road riding.

Too many miles? I vote no, if it's been taken care of. My 2002 has only needed a base gasket and 1 valve adjustment w/11.5K and counting (8.5K were in a one month period).

Can you just buy the excel rims?

I bought my 2001 in 2003 with 1100 miles $3500. The owner even had receipts for the $500 dealer 1st tuneup. OK it was stock but it was mint. It was from a friend who I knew took good care of his stuff, but it was still hard to give him blue book for it ($3500 was the retail blue book in 2003). The bike only cost $5000 new out the door (then and now). Around me $2700 for a modded DR with stock rims and 10k is very high. I would be amazed if I could get that for mine, although I have 18k on it. The miles are nothing if it was taken care of, but track time and offroading are abusive regardless of how you maintain it. I guess if you really wanted all the motard stuff it isn't too bad, but I would weight the options of going new or buying a less used bike