Sign in to follow this  

off road 2 strokes

why does alot of off road riders ride 2 stroke when they used to be comsidered race bikes. also is there any advantage to riding a 2 stroke off road unstead of a 4 stroke

Some of the reasons may be ... lighter weight, better reliability, and less maintenance. Four strokes do have advantages, but being light and reliable do not top the list.

I don't know if the statement is generally true but since you asked...

And the top ten reason why trail riders prefer two strokes are:

10. White hot 4 stroke header pipes have been known to incinerate operators and start forrest fires.

9. Trail riders prefer their coolant in the bike instead of on the ground.

8. Because a few grains of sand in the intake shouldn't require a valve job and a new head.

7. Trail riders can locate their friends even in a dense forrest by following the smoke trails.

6. Two strokes generally start when you kick them.

5. Because two strokes produce almost twice the power per unit of displacement than a four stroke.

4. Because trail riders occaisionally need to turn their bikes with the handle bars instead of the rear brake and the throttle.

3. Because GPS units and camel backs are expensive and they can't afford to maintain a four stroke.

2. Because trail riders can choose the better overall bike and not have to worry about competing with bikes twice their size because the AMA tilted the scales.

And the number one reason why trail riders prefer two strokes is...

There is not enough room in their packs for tow straps.

So true, my KTM 380 never overheated, no matter how slow of a trail I was on. My current 450 though, there have been a couple of times when the trail was slow and had lots of switchbacks, I almost thought I was riding a bike with a steam engine, know what I mean?

:thumbsup:

no clue good question

Don't worry, you'll get a clue before long when the 250 starts eating cash and valves like crazy... Not IF, but WHEN...

And the top ten reason why trail riders prefer two strokes are:.....

Brutal :thumbsup: .

I don't know if the statement is generally true but since you asked...

And the top ten reason why trail riders prefer two strokes are:

10. White hot 4 stroke header pipes have been known to incinerate operators and start forrest fires.

8. Because a few grains of sand in the intake shouldn't require a valve job and a new head.

7. Trail riders can locate their friends even in a dense forrest by following the smoke trails.

5. Because two strokes produce almost twice the power per unit of displacement than a four stroke.

4. Because trail riders occaisionally need to turn their bikes with the handle bars instead of the rear brake and the throttle.

3. Because GPS units and camel backs are expensive and they can't afford to maintain a four stroke.

2. Because trail riders can choose the better overall bike and not have to worry about competing with bikes twice their size because the AMA tilted the scales.

Wow, owned. :thumbsup:

Wow, owned. :thumbsup:

i think you mean..... pwned! :applause:

btw that post was awesome....everyone knows which one im talkin about. :ride:

Four strokes do have advantages, but being light and reliable do not top the list.

... and what would those advantages be?

1.They cost more to buy

2.They cost more to maintain

3.They cost more to rebuild

4.They weigh more

5.They hate to start when you stall them

6.They have to have twice the displacement of a two-stroke to make the same power

7.They sound like continuous flatulence

8.After you tweak the stock exhaust system on a tree or rock, you get the privilege to go out and spend $700 on a new system

9.They like to help you with the regular coolant flushes by spewing the old coolant out onto the trail so you don't have to drain it in your garage

10.They help keep you in good shape by letting you regularly exercise your right leg trying to start them

Oops...you said advantages....my bad... :thumbsup:

Less vibration is one advantage that comes to mind, ... not to mention more torque, and better traction :thumbsup: .

I own a 2006 YZ 450F, and bought my son a 2006 KTM 300 XC for Christmas last year. We swap bikes all the time when we go riding, and they are both great bikes. I really like riding both of them, and usually don't want to switch from the bike I am on. I almost bought myself a KTM 300 XCW, but the two stroke KTM vibrates like an unbalanced washing machine on spin cycle. I owned a 2005 YZ 250 before switching to the 2006 YZ 450F, and the YZ 250 also vibrated bad enough to give me the numb and tinglys. Plus, no matter how much of a two stroke fan you are, you cannot deny the 2006 YZ 450F is a fun bike to ride (assuming you have ridden one).

The '06 YZ450F is indeed a great bike. It also easily has the smoothest engine of any current off road motorcycle. And compared to it, two-strokes do indeed vibrate, but so does every other four-stroke. In comparison to almost any other four-stroke, two-strokes don't vibrate significantly more.

even though four strokes are supposedly "trail bikes" the 2 strokes are better for both motocross and harescrambles, and i know because ive raced both four strokes and two strokes in motocross and harescrambles.

:thumbsup: Excellent, all top ten reasons!

The number 1 reason is right on. when I had a WR426, I always carried a rope so I could either get towed out of the woods or get a pull start after stalling the engine on a hot day.

Just a side note, the 426 tired me on tight woods single track. And, don't know what this really means, but my 15 year old just competed in his first hare scramble on the Gasgas. He was in "Open Class" which was mostly comprised of 450's. Out of 16 competitors, he took 3rd. If he was on my discarded 426, I seriously doubt that he would have finished.