Sign in to follow this  

50 tooth on the rear?

I bought a 50 tooth rear sprocket for my 450, mainly due to the fact that I would like to lug 3rd gear around the tracks that im on. I feel like im doing a lot of shifting from 2nd to 3rd on these tracks. They are typically tighter tracks, but some larger open tracks as well. Do you think a 13-50 setup for front and rear is going to affect my bike that badly? I dont want to screw things up and have to shift constantly still. What do you guys think?

I use a 50 tooth on my 450. I like it because you can lug 3rd in tighter corners & it brings 4th closer so I use 4th more. I still never get into 5th on any of the tracks I ride in AZ.

Most of the people I know and myself use 13/50 th. The objective is using only two gears. In sx tracks I use 2nd and 3rd and in mx 3rd and 4th.... But that's your decission depending on the tracks you ride and your level. Obviously you should not put 50´s if you do trails.

Its an excellent setup if your not an "expert" I think because experts can probably carry the speed in corners to make a 13/48 useful. I can't and I love it. I have been told by people around my dealership that a 13/52 is actually ideal, but that seems like it might just make second into third and so-on rather than alter the gears, it would give you the same conditions in higher gears... blah blah... use the 13/50!

13/50 is the gearing that Honda provided on the first 2 years of production,then in 04 they went 13/48 why? they say it was to smooth the power.If you have ever ridden a racing two stroke you know that a CRF doesn't need the power smoothed out comparatively.The lower gearing also makes the power feel more "right now".The machine still has great top speed with this gearing{about 80 mph}and first gear does not feel too tall like with 13/48.Hope this helps cheers

I would venture to guess that average lap times, for a wider cross section of Honda test riders, was lower with the taller gearing. Most riders turn slower laps when a bike is set-up with more hit. This is especially true on rough tracks.

I have this setup on my 05 450 and at first it was hard to get used to. The front end will come up easier, and arm pump becomes more prevalent. :thumbsup: I really like it now but am contimplating changing it back to see if I can handle the bike better now. I loved it when it was new and put on a Red renthal 50 tooth for some more low end and the bling factor. Maybe a 49 tooth would be a good compromise

05 450 R

...Maybe a 49 tooth would be a good compromise

That's what I run.

Thanks guys. I posted this last night then passed out from being exhausted. Rode Friday and Saturday and ended up getting a nice scrape/dirt burn on my arm due to me not riding with my jersey sleves all the way down (huge mistake).

I was going to go with a 49, but the place I picked it up from was out of them so I went to the 50. I am by no means anywhere near expert. My big thing is trying to learn to go into corners with more speed because I reallllly suck at corners right now. The reason for going up a couple teeth is due to the obstacle I wrecked on. A rythm section of 4 doubles with about a 10 foot run at them right after a sharp turn.

Thanks for the tips guys, as always its appriciated!

how is the 14/51 i just picked up an 07 and was thinkng of going to a 14/50 or 51 the 13/48 is way to explosive

how is the 14/51 i just picked up an 07 and was thinkng of going to a 14/50 or 51 the 13/48 is way to explosive

I always run the biggest C/S sprocket that I can, reduces friction, lowers the chance of stalling and let's the bike pull hard out of the gate... I run 14/53 and I love it that way !

Just tonight I was changing my combo from a 13/48 to a 14/52. This seems to be the hot setup here. It is just slightly lower (.6% change) than the stock setup. A 14/53 is around 2.6% lower than stock. A 13/50 is even lower. It really depends on your riding style.

i just ordered a 52 rear. with stock CS, i think it will be good for the tight woods riding we do.

does it tame the motor down and let you get on the gas more often and more confident in corners and whoops????????????