50 tooth on the rear?

I bought a 50 tooth rear sprocket for my 450, mainly due to the fact that I would like to lug 3rd gear around the tracks that im on. I feel like im doing a lot of shifting from 2nd to 3rd on these tracks. They are typically tighter tracks, but some larger open tracks as well. Do you think a 13-50 setup for front and rear is going to affect my bike that badly? I dont want to screw things up and have to shift constantly still. What do you guys think?

Most of the people I know and myself use 13/50 th. The objective is using only two gears. In sx tracks I use 2nd and 3rd and in mx 3rd and 4th.... But that's your decission depending on the tracks you ride and your level. Obviously you should not put 50´s if you do trails.

Its an excellent setup if your not an "expert" I think because experts can probably carry the speed in corners to make a 13/48 useful. I can't and I love it. I have been told by people around my dealership that a 13/52 is actually ideal, but that seems like it might just make second into third and so-on rather than alter the gears, it would give you the same conditions in higher gears... blah blah... use the 13/50!

13/50 is the gearing that Honda provided on the first 2 years of production,then in 04 they went 13/48 why? they say it was to smooth the power.If you have ever ridden a racing two stroke you know that a CRF doesn't need the power smoothed out comparatively.The lower gearing also makes the power feel more "right now".The machine still has great top speed with this gearing{about 80 mph}and first gear does not feel too tall like with 13/48.Hope this helps cheers

I have this setup on my 05 450 and at first it was hard to get used to. The front end will come up easier, and arm pump becomes more prevalent. ? I really like it now but am contimplating changing it back to see if I can handle the bike better now. I loved it when it was new and put on a Red renthal 50 tooth for some more low end and the bling factor. Maybe a 49 tooth would be a good compromise

05 450 R

Thanks guys. I posted this last night then passed out from being exhausted. Rode Friday and Saturday and ended up getting a nice scrape/dirt burn on my arm due to me not riding with my jersey sleves all the way down (huge mistake).

I was going to go with a 49, but the place I picked it up from was out of them so I went to the 50. I am by no means anywhere near expert. My big thing is trying to learn to go into corners with more speed because I reallllly suck at corners right now. The reason for going up a couple teeth is due to the obstacle I wrecked on. A rythm section of 4 doubles with about a 10 foot run at them right after a sharp turn.

Thanks for the tips guys, as always its appriciated!

how is the 14/51 i just picked up an 07 and was thinkng of going to a 14/50 or 51 the 13/48 is way to explosive

I always run the biggest C/S sprocket that I can, reduces friction, lowers the chance of stalling and let's the bike pull hard out of the gate... I run 14/53 and I love it that way !

Just tonight I was changing my combo from a 13/48 to a 14/52. This seems to be the hot setup here. It is just slightly lower (.6% change) than the stock setup. A 14/53 is around 2.6% lower than stock. A 13/50 is even lower. It really depends on your riding style.