06 TE610 engine knock

Anyone out there had any trouble with knocking at idle? I took my Husky TE610 to my dealer for the first service and I suspect they didn't bother with anything but and oil and filter change. I'm wondering if they neglected to clean the oil pump screens and this may be causing some low oil preasure at idle? This clatter seems to get worse after riding a while in hot temps.

Any ideas??? My dealer says the noise is normal but I think he's full of beans.

I've got the idle set at around 1400 right now but have tried a faster idle. This is kind of a thonking sound and doesn't quiet down until the revs are up around 2500. I sware I can still hear it then but the exhaust starts to drown it out. The thing sounds like some kind of thrashing machine at a stop light or idling through tight trails.

I think I'll pull the side covers and have look at the screens for myself. Does anyone know if the side cover gaskets can be re-used or will I need to get new ones?

Hi,

To check the oil screens under the gear change pedal you only need an 8 mm socket and a (spiked) tool to remove the screen itself,

(I actually use a pair of circlip pliers ,and open them out inside the screen ,and then gently pull) this has NO sharp edges.

the o-rings that seal these little flanges are re-usable if you are careful.

I have not taken the right screen out as this involves a LOT more work, I believe you have to remove the rear brake reservoir, the brake pedal and then the whole R.H. casing , which would probably need a new gasket...

If you find anything at all in the L.H. screens then it probably means that the dealer did not check and clean them. ( not unusual !!)

you may well find a few metal filings(normal), and possibly some red coloured

fragments(this happened in my 2001 bike. ) apparently this is excess instant gasket gunk from the factory build. :ride:

They are not a quiet engine but things should settle over around the 1500 rpm mark.

Don't be afraid to check the left screens, it's a half hour j0b, and will give you confidence to know what is going on in you motor,

Remember these are at the lowest point in you motor, so almost all the oil will drain out!!

Charlie ?

Thanks varesecrazy for the tips. And yes, I understand there should be some noise, cam chain, 2 oil pumps and on and on. There's allot going on in there and no sheilding to dampen the rackett but this seems a little excessive and gets worse after a couple of hours of riding in 90 deg. temps. It just seems as though the oil gets thin and perhaps there's a loss of preasure.

I bought the bike in June and absolutely loved it. It had, what I thought to be, normal 4 stroke engine noise at that time. The only flaws I found at that time were rough shifting that has since gone away and with the clutch disengaged under hard braking the oil pressure would drop, engine would clatter and then die. I sped up the idle to 1400 RPM to take care of the clatter and the break in has taken care of the trany.

About 2 wks. ago I took it to the shop for a leaky cam cover and the very next ride after the repair I noticed this engine knock in the lower end. While looking things over I noticed the mechanic left the top motor mount bolt out and the nut was sitting in the spark plug well. On it's first service they didn't bother cleaning the air filter, had broken a turn indicator and scuffed the front number plate.

Now I'm afraid to ride the thing for fear of damaging the motor. Guess I'll just pull the covers, check the screens, filter, look things over and change the oil. If the noise persists or gets worse, I'll take it back to the dealer.

Were's a good place to order the gaskets, o-rings and filter?

What's the length of the warranty here in the US? The manual isn't very specific.

I believe the warranty is 6 months here in the U.S., and 1 year in Europe. I can't remember where I read that so I could be wrong.

The right side engine gasket that will expose the hard to get to screen can be reused many times without replacing. It is one of those metal impregnated rubber gaskets that really works well. I have had mine off about 5 times and there are no leaks. 06TE610

Mine is a little noisy too, but running very well. Keep the idle above 1400 and it shouldn't sound so bad, maybe 1600 or 1700 is best.

good luck, and let us know what you find.

Thanks you guys for the advise. Hope I get it sorted out. I plan on putting allot of miles on this bike and love the way it rides both on and off road.

Does anyone notice their cooling fan running? Mine ran the first day I rode it but I haven't heard it since.

We have a couple loosen up the balancer key and get out of time,so everyone of our bikes gets the oil screen cleaned and both balancer and crank nuts under the right cover retorqued and loctited at 600 to 1000, miles.They do make alot more noise if the balancer gets out of time but vibration also goes up.Most of the time i would not worry too much about the screen under the cover after first service i have guys with 2001 TE 610Es that have 20000 miles!! and never cleaned it !ever!

It's easy to check the right screen. 13 bolts, cover off, and yes, it's a metalic gasket and you reuse it. I've found crap on the left screen, but never any on the right. I still check it though.

Maybe bad gas?

Well that's just it, I dont think they bothered with cleaning the screens. I guess I'll feel better once I've peered inside and put some fresh oil in it.

While I'm in there I'll check the counter balancer and crank nuts. What's the torque spec on these?

I think the balancer is fine though. I don't notice any more vibration that when it was new. I would have done it today but the local bike dealer didn't have the oil I wanted. I just have a fealing removing the side covers isn't going to reveal much.

Wish me luck.

Mine was a little quirky at first but I learned if I just wait and let it boot up (about 5 seconds) before I push the starter button, it does fine. I think is covers this in the manual. I'm a little bummed I can't change modes while I'm riding though. You can do it while the bikes running but you have to be at a complete stop.

Does anyone notice their cooling fan running? Mine ran the first day I rode it but I haven't heard it since.

I have about 6,000 miles on mine and it has never overheated---nor has the fan ever kicked on-----I took it off after running 3,500 miles on the trans am trail in some slow going in some pretty warm temperatures.

My conclusion is---it doesn't need it. I did the same thing to my 1990 DRZ400S with 15,000 miles----it never overheated. The bike has 2 huge radiators that do a fantastic job. My opinion is they put the fan on there for some idiot that would leave his bike running waiting for a train to go by for 30 minutes in 100 degree heat.

Yes------some bikes have to have them. My KLR and 950 KTM would blow a gasket without their fans.

Oh yes---about the knock---my motor is quiet as a mouse---hardly any mechanical noise at all.

Does the clanking sound change if the bike is idling in neutral and you pull the clutch in? The clutch on TE's clatters when the clutch is OUT... that's normal Husky racing clutch behavior.

If the sound does not change when pulling in the clutch, it's something else...

About oil pressure, I'm thinking to hook up an inline oil pressure switch and idot light. You really DO want to know if you have an oil pressure problem, RIGHT AWAY!!!

Good luck!

Took the covers off today, changed the oil and inspected the balancer and crank nuts. Everything looked fine and the screens looked like new.

Had a hell of a time finding oil. 10W-60 is some freakish animal that no one seems to carry on the shelf. I substituted Castrol GTX 20W-50 which should be as good or better than the 20W-50 the dealer used on it's first oil change.

Buttoned the whole thing up, fired the beast up and things sounded well. Took it for a little ride and by the time I got back with the engine heated up the noise had returned.

I called my dad who's been a Ford mechanic for 44 years and asked if he'd take a listen to it, He said right away that the noise was gear lash, was probably nothing to worry about but that it did seem pretty loud.

We did pull the clutch with it running and it makes no difference. We even put it in gear and eased out on the clutch with the rear break on to see it that would take up the slack in the gears and eliminate the noise. No luck.

All I can say is, unless someone else has an idea, I've got warranty till December. I'm gonna ride it like I just don't care and make sure I have a full charge on the cell phone battery. Hold your ears when you see me coming.

I wish I could figure out a way to post a sound byte and you could hear it for your selves.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm back.

The cell phone came in handy yesterday.

Went out on a ride in the boonies when about half way into it my fuel light came on. Not nearly done riding I decided to make my way into the closest town for gas. After filling up I pulled out on the road to make my way back to where I had left off with the engine clattering as usual. All at once the noise completely stopped but my delight soon turned to dismay when I felt the vibration.

Guess I'm just the latest 610 owner with that dreaded counter balance problem. I'm still pretty pleased that the rattling noise went away though I haven't studied the manual yet to see exactly why. I'll take her to the shop tomorrow and am pretty confident they can cure all my ills. Looking forward to a quieter ride and the confidence that will take me much further from home.